• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY cinching, retrievable anchor: JRB Cinch

John RB

Friends, I do many tests before publishing any new ideas. This one has had 6 months of use and I can't say anything else compares to it in terms of moveability and simplicity. If you rappel on a device that you strip off the line, this is the way to go. If ya leave stuff on the line, then use the JRB Hitch instead. 'Happy to answer any questions ya have. I don't recommend building one with a quickie or delta or a loop of rope. A rappel ring is designed for exactly this kind of application, and it is one piece.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That method has been known for many years, both for Moving Rope redirects and removing remote cinched anchor points.
Right, I acknowledged that, but I haven't found anything better than the Buffalo Hitch on it, which is novel. I have also not seen the carabiner tethered on it. That makes it not droppable and improves the reliability of retrieval. Without it, the ring stays in the tree, and it can get stuck. It happened to me last year.

Another cool trick! Is there any issue with the load the caribiner sees on the ring?

Another cool trick! Is there any issue with the load the caribiner sees on the ring?
Well, i sure wouldn't recommend using the smallest beaner we can find. Something with a significant cross section. I have put some significant loads on it... but not to the point of breaking... that gets expensive. In fact, I felled 6 trees today and used this and JRB hitch for rigging. One tree, a 65 ft black cherry, leaning heavily and not safe to climb, was slowly lowered to the ground in one piece by rigging off of two adjacent trees. I am guessing the load was close to 1000lb. Breaking a beaner is gonna require a lot. Steel is going to be stronger than aluminum in that kind of load scenario and so consider that if it gives you peace of mind. I hope to do some load testing after my LineScale 3 arrives. Its a load cell. On backorder....

Can someone take a screen shot of what’s going on in the video. Can’t watch YouTubes.

Nice thanks for taking the time to share the pictures. So the how is it removable? By pulling itself through the rappel ring?
Yes you would need to strip off all friction hitches and pull tag end all the way thru snap and ring.

I have seen some videos of rock climbing folks set up retrievable anchors like this (i.e. the last person to rappel down sets up anchor like this so they can take the rope home.

If I tie the biner (shackle) into the main line I have a tough time getting the rope to release because it hangs up around the tree, without it tied to the main line it releases easy. Is there something I'm not getting here?

Can someone take a screen shot of what’s going on in the video. Can’t watch YouTubes.
Hey brother ... on a technical note, i am trying to understand what ya meant by not being able to watch youtubes. Obviously you have an internet connection.... is it the links that don't work? Can you open a browser like Chrome or Safari and go to YouTube.com and then search for JRB Cinch.... and then watch it there?

Hey brother ... on a technical note, i am trying to understand what ya meant by not being able to watch youtubes. Obviously you have an internet connection.... is it the links that don't work? Can you open a browser like Chrome or Safari and go to YouTube.com and then search for JRB Cinch.... and then watch it there?

I’m able to watch your YouTube videos but I’m not allowing myself to watch YouTube videos for religious reasons.

I’m able to watch your YouTube videos but I’m not allowing myself to watch YouTube videos for religious reasons.
You have me confused. Not sure how to connect a tree climbing video to any religious tenet. Props for holding onto you beliefs though.

Got my small rappel rings in. Tied the Buffalo Hitch to one using my 40' Restech and attached a biner in the sewn eye. Ready to rock! Too rainy for practice climbs, but hopefully soon. Slick setup. I like ditching the quick link and keeper device.

One stick climbers and JRB hitch climbers will get a lot more distance out of their 'moves ' if they can set a hitch way up above their heads and with a stick or pole, ya can set this as high as it reaches

Back