• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Climbing Sticks, Looking for input

onjilltime

Hey guys! I'm a new to this forum, but not new to fabricating. I'm in the process of prototyping my own climbing sticks and I'm aiming to make these as light as possible but also as efficient as possible. I've been reading and researching on here a lot have been totally nerding out- can't resist a good challenge. So I am going to try to design a 1lb stick. That being said, I have been thinking about what features could be sacrificed, and which features are a necessity, that is why I was hoping for some input. What do you guys think? Currently on the double step path, all aluminum, tig welded. What are some must have's and favorite features that you guys think I should integrate into my design? And which are more important to you? Stackability? Overall Length? Step distance? Let me know! Also, any leads to other relevant threads would be super helpful.

Thanks!!

I’d run 1/16 tubing and DanO/Eastern Woods Outdoor components. I drilled holes in the tubing and I believe mine are 1.5lbs a piece. I also added spacers to make them more rigid in the step/standoff area. Without those and 20” or under, I bet you could come close to the 1lb mark bare stick, but you’ll need a strap. I’d run amsteel.

Ive just picked up a stick to try 1-sticking but haven’t tried it yet so take my thoughts with a grain of salt...

I’ve heard a lot of people say they only use the bottom step while climbing. Why not remove the top step and make the bottom step like the artisan platform upside down? Which in turn would allow you to use a smaller post.

Interested in hearing everyone’s thoughts!

Edit: this was for 1 sticking rather than multiple sticks.

Last edited:
IMO any good stick must have strength and no flex under weight. Steps must be side by side, not offset. Standoffs must bite into the tree with no side to side movement. I know 1lb is your target, but weight is lowest on my list. I only use one stick anyways.
Yes. When you really think about it, if you are only carrying one stick how significant is an additional few ounces?

I’d run 1/16 tubing and DanO/Eastern Woods Outdoor components. I drilled holes in the tubing and I believe mine are 1.5lbs a piece. I also added spacers to make them more rigid in the step/standoff area. Without those and 20” or under, I bet you could come close to the 1lb mark bare stick, but you’ll need a strap. I’d run amsteel.

For sure-I have been scouring their website. Fortunately I have full machine shop access, and already acquired most of the stock I'll need, unless I mess something up, which is likely :tearsofjoy:. I have been debating trying to make something longer than 20" more like 24" step to step.

If your planning on using a step aider the overall length of your sticks is irrelevant...... Just matters how high you can reach. I made my sticks 16 and the 3 steps in the aider 16. Using those items it equals out to roughly 6-8 feet per stick. I'm 5'10 and average 7.5 feet per stick. That's my main gripe about single stick climbing.... The first stick is not problem but once your off that stick you lose the ability to stretch out and reach that next stick placement up to full height potential. I've been practicing the single stick climb and I make 4x the movement to get up to the same height as 2 sticks+aider. 14-16 feet is as high as I usually go.

3/4" .110 wall tubing. single steps. 18" step spacing. You should be able to hit close to 1lb depending on how you make your standoffs, and how you plan on attaching rope.

Welding standoffs to the back of tubing is going to create a ton of stress. I'd look at making it completely surround your tubing. Should still save half an ounce or so over a bolt, maybe a full ounce.

This project better just be because you like tinkering. Otherwise, you can build a set of sticks that weigh 1.3-1.5lbs each in your sleep.

I was just searching and found this post on another forum. TIG welding may weaken it considerably.

Gary_Dillard

112162_2.png
Andy_A
Feb '07

I need to throw in my warning here, as I do in every post about 6000 series aluminum. If you weld it, the yield strength goes from about 39 ksi to about 11 ksi in the heat affected zone (usually within about 1 inch of the weld).

@Ontariofarmer hey what was thread you had last year plenty of rough draft material there....

Honestly almost two years ago. Sticks have come a long way.
DIY with Dan O parts or buy fancy new sticks. When you get below 1.5 pounds you are starting to compromise safety.
Something will bend or break.

That would be a 24 inch stick with a cam cleat and 6 mm rope

It will be lighter without the cam cleat or a shorter stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honestly almost two years ago. Sticks have come a long way.
DIY with Dan O parts or buy fancy new sticks. When you get below 1.5 pounds you are starting to compromise safety.
Something will bend or break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That sounds like a challenge to me . Ha, just tinkering in my garage for fun for now. Yes I could buy someone else's but I'm looking forward to making my own. I'll be happy if I come up with something relatively lightweight, safe and functional.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1# sounds great!

What needs to happen if possible:
-double steps are a must since more than likely hunters will need to use aiders to make up any length or added length differences.
-aider a ability...that there is a strong enough connection point.
-a stand off bracket that is far enough away from the tree to allow for big clunky boots yet not weigh too much.
-a versa strap or connection point that will minimize kick outs yet maximize reach height.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Good luck, I've been tinkering on some designs myself and got an idea for a stick design for one sticking I plan to build this spring. I, myself am leery of tig welding them. Could you? Yes, but the heat related stress is pretty high enless you preheat the entire piece and can control the cooling of the piece. I tig weld everyday at work, we have kilns at work and I could probably do it and make it adequate but it's a lot of time and trouble to save a half pound. But I'm anxious to see what you come up with! I love tinkering and building things and have done quite a bit over the last year related to saddle hunting. Currently working on some squirrel steps...

I'm not sure this is the thread Bigterp was referring to I'm but will post it any way as it appears to be related.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That sounds like a challenge to me . Ha, just tinkering in my garage for fun for now. Yes I could buy someone else's but I'm looking forward to making my own. I'll be happy if I come up with something relatively lightweight, safe and functional.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It is fun if you have the time skill and generally you spend more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back