• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does anyone NOT like the Predator?

DelaWhere_Arrow

SH Member
My Kestrel arrives in early September and I just came into a “spare $200”, aka I shifted some change around and freed up two Benjamins through the grace of the deer gods.
After hemming and hawing over whether I’d use the Bullman ROS, 2-3 Wild Edge Stepps, an OOL Podium, or the Predator, the financial situation is looking in favor of the Predator. So, being the consummate homework-doer when it comes to hunting gear, I have to ask the Predator users at large:
Is there anything you hate about the Predator, or is it really the answer to the bowhunter’s plight?

Buy a ring of steps, buy a platform. Sit with both in your yard for a few hours a few times each. Decide which one is more conducive to comfort and shooting well.

Then sell the other on the classifieds.

There is no answer other than this that does you any good. There's dang near an even split of ROS and platform users. Buy both, it's risk free, and you'll avoid the nonsense trying to figure it out in the woods.

I agree with @kyler1945. Buy both and sell whichever you think doesn’t do it for you. You’ll break even or worst case be out a few dollars but have peace of mind. Or buy both and keep both if you think each has its merits in a given scenario.

I have only hunted out of a Predator. Used a ROS in the backyard only. Going to try it this season. The Predator is totally awesome. I can't think of anything bad to say about it . I'll never sell mine.

I agree with @kyler1945. Buy both and sell whichever you think doesn’t do it for you. You’ll break even or worst case be out a few dollars but have peace of mind. Or buy both and keep both of you think each has its merits in a given scenario.
Okay, not the answers I was expecting, but totally valid! Hadn’t even occurred to me to try something on, per se.

Okay, not the answers I was expecting, but totally valid! Hadn’t even occurred to me to try something on, per se.

There are very few things that are a consensus. And the classifieds here are very robust. At worst you'll be out 10-20.00 for shipping, and know you have the best thing for you. Most folks are like you and assume there's just a "right way" to do this. We're all shaped different, and have different priorities. And you won't know which one you prefer until you have a few hours a few times on it. Trust me. I've owned every ros and platform available with the exception of the out on a limb setup. I can make every single one of them work just fine. But it took time to decide which direction I leaned.

Buy a predator and a couple squirrel steps to put on the strap and have the best of both worlds.

I have a predator and ridge runner gonna be a tough decision between those two come fall.
This thought had crossed my mind. Good to know I’m onto something.

My Kestrel arrives in early September and I just came into a “spare $200”, aka I shifted some change around and freed up two Benjamins through the grace of the deer gods.
After hemming and hawing over whether I’d use the Bullman ROS, 2-3 Wild Edge Stepps, an OOL Podium, or the Predator, the financial situation is looking in favor of the Predator. So, being the consummate homework-doer when it comes to hunting gear, I have to ask the Predator users at large:
Is there anything you hate about the Predator, or is it really the answer to the bowhunter’s plight?
I'm going to chime in, if your like me your going to end up liking the combination of using both and heres why. What I found after hours of sitting with just my predator plateform and then trying the same scenario using my squirrel steps was I love the squirrel steps because I positioned two steps on each side of the tree to support my feet since I strateled the tree when I sit. However, I love the predator platform for shooting behind me and also standing and leaning against the tree. Believe me once you start using them as a dual saddle platform you'll never use one without the other. Think about how many hours you've hunted out of a hang on tree stand, I bet you'll say I stood alot and leaned against the tree. That in itself is a comfort level that's not going to change. Nxt time I'm out I'll take a picture of my setup so you can see what I'm suggesting.
Good luck and have fun
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

+1 to what Silvio said... assuming he meant a hybrid setup. Podium platform and 2 bullman outdoors silent approach steps (not hijacking the pro/con predator thread). Long story short, don't hear many complaints and a reason not too many show up in classifieds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190726-205645_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190726-205645_Gallery.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 278
I think you will really like the Predator platform. I was a big ring of step guy but I prefer the Predator platform over them.

Do you use a step on either side of the platform? I used a ring of steps all last year, got my predator in February. Thinking of adding to each side, I think I’m gonna miss straddling the tree. Maybe I’m just used to the steps. The steps always bothered my feet after a while. Then I read a post about doubling them up. The predator seems small , not wide enough. Any thoughts?

Having hunted out of a ring of bolts, and practiced a good bit with the predator, I can already tell you that I will prefer the predator for run-n-gun. But, out tree canopy starts low, and is thick as heck, so I don’t always have a 360 degree shooting option.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

I'm going to chime in, if your like me your going to end up liking the combination of using both and heres why. What I found after hours of sitting with just my predator plateform and then trying the same scenario using my squirrel steps was I love the squirrel steps because I positioned two steps on each side of the tree to support my feet since I strateled the tree when I sit. However, I love the predator platform for shooting behind me and also standing and leaning against the tree. Believe me once you start using them as a dual saddle platform you'll never use one without the other. Think about how many hours you've hunted out of a hang on tree stand, I bet you'll say I stood alot and leaned against the tree. That in itself is a comfort level that's not going to change. Nxt time I'm out I'll take a picture of my setup so you can see what I'm suggesting.
Good luck and have fun
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life
Thanks, that’d be super helpful!

+1 to what Silvio said... assuming he meant a hybrid setup. Podium platform and 2 bullman outdoors silent approach steps (not hijacking the pro/con predator thread). Long story short, don't hear many complaints and a reason not too many show up in classifieds.
Thanks, you’re giving me lots to work with! I was considering the Bullman 2-pack anyway, this might be a trigger puller. Squirrels look nice, too. Metal vs plastic I suppose.

Correct me if i'm wrong, my experience with the predator is limited (though starting a klemz platform project), but when getting those tight, you want to step on post, lift platform/seat, sink it down, then re-cam over... Is the angle of strap/ tension enough to hold steps tight enough? With the podium, it's a more perpendicular to the tree, so can pull tight more like a ROS when it's cammed over.

Back