• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk Helium sticks w/ Amsteel Daisy Chain

tkohuntsMI

Easy mod anyone can do! Super lightweight and noise free.
1.) buy a spool of 1/8” amsteel
2.) watch YouTube video on how to make a daisy chain
3.) replace your cam buckle straps with Amsteel daisy chains
Instead of just doing a few loops on each end I did loops the entire 8’ length which makes it so you don’t have to wrap it around the tree. I had originally done only 4 loops at each end but that meant on smaller trees I had to wrap it around 2-3 times. Having loops the entire length of the chain is just faster and simpler to just pick any loop you want depending on diameter or the tree

They are extremely quick, strong, light, and completely silent

Biggest issue I've seen with amsteel is it's so light, sometimes its hard to swing it around the tree on the larger trees. I'm experimenting with 7/64" amsteel daisy chain as well as the 1/4" amsteel rope mod. Both are working just fine thus far.

I use 1/4” amsteel daisychains and also amsteel ropes. Either one works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a little flexible arm I can use to reach it around the tree and then one I get up in the tree I can wrap it around the tree and hang my bow from it

This is what I used for my 7/64 daisy chain Amsteel. After I removed the elastic cord and dipped the ball, I use the cords to secure the rope/ball for transport.
Amsteel Ball End 1.jpgAmsteel Ball End 2.jpg

Question about the whole flipping around the tree thing... I NEVER hunt a tree I cannot reach around and touch my hands on the back, so I see zero need or issue with any rope or webbing solution. I also find that the biggest bucks tend to be where the smaller trees are growing, in thicker areas, so again, no need for bigger trees. I would think this could be a geographical situation, but I have hunted various midwest states and it was the same there as here. What is driving you guys that have this issue to hunt bigger trees?

As to the daisy chain approach, I have tried the original helium straps, 1/4 amsteel, 7/64 amsteel daisy, and woven daisy from doublesteps.com. Of those, I liked the 1/4 best, hands down. My new Tethrd mini versas came in this week and they are just better. No going back!

John H., Hickory, NC

“You sure are cocky for a starvin’ pilgrim.”

Question about the whole flipping around the tree thing... I NEVER hunt a tree I cannot reach around and touch my hands on the back, so I see zero need or issue with any rope or webbing solution. I also find that the biggest bucks tend to be where the smaller trees are growing, in thicker areas, so again, no need for bigger trees. I would think this could be a geographical situation, but I have hunted various midwest states and it was the same there as here. What is driving you guys that have this issue to hunt bigger trees?

As to the daisy chain approach, I have tried the original helium straps, 1/4 amsteel, 7/64 amsteel daisy, and woven daisy from doublesteps.com. Of those, I liked the 1/4 best, hands down. My new Tethrd mini versas came in this week and they are just better. No going back!

John H., Hickory, NC

“You sure are cocky for a starvin’ pilgrim.”
It really depends on where you live for sure! I just found a spot in thick thick stuff on the edge of bedding area and there is one Giant oak tree. It’s the only tree to get into and you can’t reach around it.

Amsteel. Schmanmsteel. Tethered straps for the win.

Now then, get your equipment--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
Genesis 27:3

Amsteel. Schmanmsteel. Tethered straps for the win.

Now then, get your equipment--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
Genesis 27:3
That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. I love my 1/8" Amsteel daisy chain. Works effortlessly, more compact and lighter too.

Does anyone have a picture or a video of their Amsteel daisy chains they’re using as straps? I’m a visual guy...

As for the issue of getting the light amsteel around the tree, if I cant reach around the tree, I put the end of the amsteel between the two top steps and use the stick to "hand" me the end of the rope. Use the stick as an extension.

As for the issue of getting the light amsteel around the tree, if I cant reach around the tree, I put the end of the amsteel between the two top steps and use the stick to "hand" me the end of the rope. Use the stick as an extension.
1633389593255.png

Back