• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How are you carrying your phone when scouting and using OnX

jakev383

SH Member
Just curious how others are carrying their phones when out scouting and using apps such as OnX where you're frequently referring to a map or placing pins on maps? I use a backpack with paracord in it for installing presets, carrying water, and carrying cameras. I also carry a single stick since I like to put my cameras up out of reach of those who are less than scrupulous and may want to "borrow" my cameras forever. I want to at least make them work for it.
I'd been carrying my phone in my front pocket, but recently decided to try a pouch like this attached to the shoulder strap of my backpack (a Badlands Tenet for those interested):
Screen Shot 2023-08-13 at 7.38.13 PM.png
I'm not really fond of it - I'll need to cover 3/4 of the velcro to make it easier to open since I already punched myself in the side of the head a few times trying to get it open as it slid up the shoulder strap before finally opening when I was testing it out and feeding the chiggers last weekend. Or maybe mount it sideways.
Anyway - I'm curious what others may be using that may be better, so please share!

I’ve used this one a few times and like it so far.

I stick mine in my pack out of immediate reach most of the time. I find that if it’s available to me I’ll rely more on topo than following sign and I’ll disregard sign that opposes my arial thoughts. So I take it out for photos and way points then back into the pack

Either front pocket or a cheap cell phone lanyard I got off Amazon. Just input the data I need - scrape, rub, scat, whatever and since it’s around my neck I can just drop it and it hangs hands free.

Thanks for all the replies! I didn't even know Marsupial made this kind of stuff - I have one of their belts and it's pretty nice.
The Skout Mount is interesting - I'll need to watch some videos on that one!
And I think I have one of those waterproof phone lanyards laying around somewhere....

i looked on FB marketplace and found a $10 military vest that basically is bino harness with extra pockets. phone goes there or pants pockets.

waterproof phone lanyard is great, but plastic baggie is good enough, too.

I wanna know the trick to keep the glare down on the phone screen.... The case is a big factor. My hunting buddy doesn't have a case on his phone and you can see the screen much better than my phone with a case...but they both still hard to see when the sun is high and i gotta seek out a shady spot to see what's on the screen

If I'm out scouting, setting or pulling cameras, or whatever, it's in my hand. I might not look at it for a mile or more, but it's always handy when I need to drop a pin, snap a photo of something, scan a plant to identify it, etc.

I wanna know the trick to keep the glare down on the phone screen.... The case is a big factor. My hunting buddy doesn't have a case on his phone and you can see the screen much better than my phone with a case...but they both still hard to see when the sun is high and i gotta seek out a shady spot to see what's on the screen

Yeah, I have to find a shady spot sometimes, especially now during the summer.

Get one of these. It will change your life.

This is one of those times I need to be reasonable with myself and remind myself I dont need a 130 dollar phone holder when I have my own monkey paw

This is one of those times I need to be reasonable with myself and remind myself I dont need a 130 dollar phone holder when I have my own monkey paw
Oh but you do need one. And you need to tell us how is holds up.

They hold up very well. Once you have it attached and never have to use your hands to hold it or pull it out from a pocket or pouch, you realize how nice it is.
I can see how in the eastern US, it may be overkill, but in the mountains or wherever you want both hands accessible at all times, it is the perfect invention. It can also mount to the molle on the front of the new Kifaru bino harness as well. If you go to the prone position, it will annoy you as you are laying down due to it being on the front of the Kifaru. If it is attached as seen in the photos, up higher, it is not a problem at all.

They hold up very well. Once you have it attached and never have to use your hands to hold it or pull it out from a pocket or pouch, you realize how nice it is.
I can see how in the eastern US, it may be overkill, but in the mountains or wherever you want both hands accessible at all times, it is the perfect invention. It can also mount to the molle on the front of the new Kifaru bino harness as well. If you go to the prone position, it will annoy you as you are laying down due to it being on the front of the Kifaru. If it is attached as seen in the photos, up higher, it is not a problem at all.

Sounds good IF you use a bino harness.

Back