• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How to choose single VS two panel saddle?

DMTJAGER

With the onset of multiple two panel saddles how does a novice choose between a single or two panel saddle especially since there are none of either to try out prior to buying? Especially if you are like me a larger guy at 6'-2" and 260ish/lbs before gearing up.

Does anyone have enough experience with both to offer information on comfort and ease of use of one over the other?
Or has anyone found one design is over all better than the other in terms of all day sit comfort and ease of use, or does a two panel saddle have any clear advantages or disadvantages VS a single panel? Or are they pretty much a wash?

I perfer 2 panels personally coming from many and I mean many single panels that I could never dial in to get comfortable unless I wore it below my hip bone I love the transformer 2 panels as it took 2 minutes to dial it in for all day comfort and I had owned tried 90% of all the 2 panels on the market some of my own make and I keep coming back to the transformer saddle. It wears nice and built like a tank and might be slightly heavier than other models but that doesn’t bother me and for your size @JCLINE84 has you covered and you can get it pretty darn quick. The ease of dialing a 2 panel quickly and the comfort of a 2 panel can’t be beat and with the transformer you can make it a single panel if you choose I would recommend a 2 panel any day of the week over a single panel personally I don’t care for pleated saddles as well as a lot of them don’t fold back easily but hey that’s me

I agree, 2 panels are the way to go. I went from a sit drag to a mantis. Then followed a post on here and made a wraptor. Then bought a tethrd ESS. This summer I modified the wraptor to function like the transformer. So much better and great design. I’m currently diy-ing a latitude method 2 clone to see what it’s like.

I hunted with a single panel Tethrd Mantis for almost 3 years. It was plenty comfortable - I would start to get a little uncomfortable after the 4th hour, and I never sat more than 5 hours anyway. I'm a leaner, and usually my feet would start to get a little tired of leaning against the edge of the platform around then too.
I recently bought an Overwatch Transformer two panel, much like @Razorbak66 . I just got it (it takes a few weeks to get) and have only sat in it for about an hour getting it setup and whatnot. I can definitely tell a difference in comfort - the two panel is much more comfortable. It is taking some getting used to as well - more adjustments with a second panel means more to fiddle with too. With the adaptability I can see being able to extend my sits if need be. I do not normally get the opportunity to site more than 4-5 hours at a time.
You might check around your area to see if there are any meetups where you can try out a couple of different models, too.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'd love to go to a meetup and try out some saddles as they are rather expensive. Does anyone know of any meetups within 100 miles or so of NW Indiana? I realize we are smack dab in the middle of prime deer season but possible later once the rut is winding down or it's post rut there could be a better chance of a meetup.

FWIW if I choose to go two panel I am leaning towards either a Latitude Method 2 or a Cruzer Archon.

I have three single panel saddles and just received the Transformer about a week ago. I've had three sits in it five hours a piece. I find it very comfortable and am still experimenting with it. I've never really sat in a saddle, I lean. I think I'm going to try sitting in the Transformer because I think it's made for sitting.

I started out with a Mantis and hunted it exclusively all last season. While I am fairly new to saddle hunting, I loved the freedom that it brought about and when I stumbled across them Tethrd was the only 1 I found that seemed to be on the market. The more I got addicted I discovered all there was to offer in the saddle community. While the Mantis was great I was experiencing a fair amount of hip pinch and can say that I found myself always wanting to DIY improvements or modifications. This year I switched to an Overwatch Transformer I have to date probably around 40 hours in it and average 3-5 hours per hunt. I can say with 100% confidence that I will not be looking for another saddle anytime in the near future. I sit and lean both and have found that the transformer is without a dought the best design for me I am 6'1" 230#'s and am comfortable the entire hunt. I could easily sit or lean much longer than I average. I have also not found the 1st thing or reason to attempt a personal modification to it yet. the only thing I have done is added my Doyles gear hoist and a Roll Pouch to it (not a modification by any means). I typically 1 stick/rappel and from time to time SRT. The saddle and adjustable bridge are so comfortable doing either. Panel management is so simple and I can place panels anywhere I need to adjust pressure points. Hope this helps some in your decision. Good Luck!!

I’ll also give a shout out to the Transformer saddle. I spent my first 2 seasons in a Tethrd Mantis and was looking for a comfort upgrade. Nothing against the Mantis specifically, I just learned that for my body type the single panel design required me to lean most of the time to stay comfortable which was an issue on longer site. When I would sit down, the saddle would always ride up and require adjustment when going back to leaning.

I’ve now done two 5 hour sits in the Transformer and the comfort is fantastic. I can sit as much as I want, or lean, without having to adjust the saddle much. Like you, I was debating between a more comfortable single panel like the Cruzr XC, or a two panel, and went with the Trnaformer because it is a hybrid that essentially allows both types of use. And I’ve found I really like having the panels separated a bit, but the nice thing is you can adjust it for your body type. The saddle is also really well made, I am very impressed with the quality of stitching and bullet-proof feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Eberhart Signature series 2 panel saddle and it's great. I haven't used my Cruzr XC or my Areohunter flex since a got the ESS. I been at this style of hunting for a very long time and I can say the ESS is the best saddle I've used . It's very comfortable and adjustable and one of the least expensive saddles you can buy.

I have a Eberhart Signature series 2 panel saddle and it's great. I haven't used my Cruzr XC or my Areohunter flex since a got the ESS. I been at this style of hunting for a very long time and I can say the ESS is the best saddle I've used . It's very comfortable and adjustable and one of the least expensive saddles you can buy.
Is it more comfy than the Cruzr XC, or do you like it better for different reason?

Is it more comfy than the Cruzr XC, or do you like it better for different reason?
To me it's more comfortable than my Cruzr XC or my Areohunter Flex. It has more adjustability and that's why I think it feels more comfortable and I also don't have any issues with hip pinch. I used a bunch of saddles over the years and it's my favorite one.

With the onset of multiple two panel saddles how does a novice choose between a single or two panel saddle especially since there are none of either to try out prior to buying? Especially if you are like me a larger guy at 6'-2" and 260ish/lbs before gearing up.

Does anyone have enough experience with both to offer information on comfort and ease of use of one over the other?
Or has anyone found one design is over all better than the other in terms of all day sit comfort and ease of use, or does a two panel saddle have any clear advantages or disadvantages VS a single panel? Or are they pretty much a wash?

It’s all about how much surface area your saddle supports. The more the better of course. The Cruzr XC with the pleats out is the most comfortable saddle I’ve used. Tactisaddle, sitdrag, Mantis, H2 and Recon not even close to the comfort of the Cruzr XC.

I have owned nine saddles and have tried out three more. Have owned two two-panels, the Recon and the Latitude Method. Gave them both a good shot and concluded that I’m a single-panel guy. My current go-to saddle is the Latitude Classic 2 and when it gets wet and needs to hang up until dry I back it up with a Cruzr XC.

I cannot give a categorical answer to your inquiry. Hunting saddles are a very individual thing. What one hunter will find to be the most comfortable saddle of all time could also be painful for another guy with a different skeletal structure. I recommend figuring out a way to try more than one.

Definitely interested in this. Currently using a Cruzr xc and can’t stop eyeballing the Archon

Honestly, as a first timer, I would go with a single panel and try it. Less fiddle factor and less to go wrong up in the air. There are pleated single panels that IMO are infinitely more comfortable then the non-pleated ones. Aerohunter kestrel flex and merlin and the Cruzr saddles are all good options, I’ve tried them all and they are all better then a normal single panel for me. I had a Phantom and it wasn’t nearly as comfortable as my Flex abd Merlin are. I’ve never owned one but I tried the Cruzr XC and it was right in the ballpark with the Aeros. And if you play with them and don’t like the single panel then switch to a two panel and see how that works out for you. You wouldnt be a true saddle aficionado if you haven’t changed your setup at least 92637593 times.

Greatest of thanks for all the well thought out replies. I had researched saddles to death an had made the decision to buy a Cruzer XC then out came the Tx5, now there is the Overwatch Xformer, now the two panel saddles are grabbing the spotlight.

I have accepted seeing as I have no opportunity to test drive any of these saddles and a test drive would involve at least a single all day sit and truth be known one persons dream saddle could be my nightmare, I will have to buy and take my chances. As it is much to late now to buy for this years season I will wait and see what comes up in the classifieds here and elsewhere for next season.

Thanks again to all for their help.

Back