• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel Flex bridge options

Shakeandbake

Hey guys, I have been eyeing up a kestrel flex to purchase and want know if any users can give me some input on what bridge option works best. I’m liking the rope bridge but most of the reviews on YouTube seem to be using the webbing bridge. New to the forum, thanks for any info.

I see you’re a new member. Are you also new to saddle hunting? If so, an adjustable rope bridge will help you to find your personal bridge length preference. You can always put a webbing bridge on later if you want.

The webbing bridge is also adjustable. If it was me, I would just get the fixed webbing bridge. I have tryed both, and webbing is my favorite. Small, light weight, and slides well thru the tether.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I didn't realize the webbing bridge is adjustable as well. In that case, it's really just personal preference. I opted for the rope and love it. I don't worry about the weight. It seems now you are back to square one, sorry!

I see you’re a new member. Are you also new to saddle hunting? If so, an adjustable rope bridge will help you to find your personal bridge length preference. You can always put a webbing bridge on later if you want.
Yes, new to saddle hunting this year. Thanks for the advice, trying to find the right bridge to order because the wait time is 8 weeks. It will be next deer season by the time I order one and exchange for another lol

I like the packability the webbing provides. I go back and forth on fixed or openable. I have an openable, which is nice... but it adds another carabiner to the setup.

Yes, new to saddle hunting this year. Thanks for the advice, trying to find the right bridge to order because the wait time is 8 weeks. It will be next deer season by the time I order one and exchange for another lol
I would order one now, play around with it, get comfortable with it and get all to know you need in order to make an educated decision, long before the next hunting season. Especially with those long wait times. Pretty much all saddle companies have a 30 day return policy. Good luck, and welcome to the fun.

I like the packability the webbing provides. I go back and forth on fixed or openable. I have an openable, which is nice... but it adds another carabiner to the setup.
That makes sense, I do have an off topic question since it sounds like you own a flex. What do you think about the flex compared to what the phantom looks like? I Use a linesmen belt at work all the time and I know the buckingham stuff is built to last but heavy. I see that with the quality of the kestrel but I can’t tell with the phantom. It looks very light weight.

I have barely even held a phantom, but I thought the material on the phantom was good quality. The webbing strength is similar to that in any other saddle, which is really what is holding your weight. I cannot attest to the comfort of the phantom but it seems well built, like Aerohunter and most other products out there. Aerohunter definitely builds their saddle with more robust waist and leg buckles, if that is a concern.

There are some pros and cons to each. The adjustable bridge on the Phantom seems easier to use than the flex bridges, but I rarely adjust a bridge once it is set. The comfort channels are a neat concept, but most people will likely run them in the middle channel most of the time. On the other hand, the pleat on the flex does allow some adjustability in the size of the seat, but it can slip after an hour or so, opening fully.
I have found a lot of comfort with the flex. I am sure the phantom will be comfortable as well.

It is hard to know exactly what you want when you can't go to a store and try them on.

I have barely even held a phantom, but I thought the material on the phantom was good quality. The webbing strength is similar to that in any other saddle, which is really what is holding your weight. I cannot attest to the comfort of the phantom but it seems well built, like Aerohunter and most other products out there. Aerohunter definitely builds their saddle with more robust waist and leg buckles, if that is a concern.

There are some pros and cons to each. The adjustable bridge on the Phantom seems easier to use than the flex bridges, but I rarely adjust a bridge once it is set. The comfort channels are a neat concept, but most people will likely run them in the middle channel most of the time. On the other hand, the pleat on the flex does allow some adjustability in the size of the seat, but it can slip after an hour or so, opening fully.
I have found a lot of comfort with the flex. I am sure the phantom will be comfortable as well.

It is hard to know exactly what you want when you can't go to a store and try them on.
Great info, thank you. Now I need to figure out sizing. I’m a 36” waist around 190lbs, I’m sure I’ll order the wrong size lol

Great info, thank you. Now I need to figure out sizing. I’m a 36” waist around 190lbs, I’m sure I’ll order the wrong size lol
I am a very slender guy, 30" waist. I have a size one and it almost seems too big when opened. Idk if that helps, but there is a lot of material in the flex. I suggest searching through some old threads and see if other guys with your waist and weight liked the sizes they chose, and also you can call and consult Aerohunter, that are generally very willing to help.

Better too large than too small, that's for sure.
I called the woman from Aero hunter, really friendly. She suggested the same, go a size bigger so you don’t get hip pinch? I looked on older forums about sizing and they all seem split 50-50 on sizing. I guess going larger won’t hurt?

Back