• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Let’s talk packs!!!

ketch22

SH Member
The joys of hunting northern PA have led me to hating my current pack. The more comfortable I get up there and the more ground I cover the more my shoulders hurt.

For gun season I’m ground hunting and moving a lot all day. Having to hike up a mountain every morning means I have to carry all of my warm clothes on my back until I get up top. But once up top my pack becomes mighty empty.

Looking for a good hauler, preferably frame pack, that can hold enough clothes but compress down nicely when empty.

I use a stone glacier sky talus 5900. I’ve yet to need it in sky mode. Just bivy mode and it does everything I need it to do. Even had a meat shelf.

Mystery ranch Pintler is a good one!

Sticks and Frame In load shelf, extra layer and gear in the pack and extra heavy layer on the two external straps on the pack.

I’m digging through it as we speak, I’m just looking for a good mileage pack, opening day I walked 9 miles. My current pack is good enough for most bow Hunting as my walk in is no more than half a mile.

I’m digging through it as we speak, I’m just looking for a good mileage pack, opening day I walked 9 miles. My current pack is good enough for most bow Hunting as my walk in is no more than half a mile.

I've been happy with the MR Pop Up 28. I've been using it for 3 seasons and have packed out several deer with it. There are a couple of dedicated threads on the MR 28 that you can find with the search function.

I recently traded for a Kifaru frame with the 22Mag pack. I used the Mystery Ranch Pintler before that. It was a good pack, but the hip belt on the Kifaru isn’t even comparable to the MR; I can get practically all the weight off my shoulders. I got the 22” frame and it’s perfect paired with the 22Mag. I strap a hang on to the outside or the meat shelf and throw some extra layers inside.

I also find that the zippers are much quieter, if that means anything to you.

890aab75b6fc4a24ec6ec542edb11d98.jpg

576d07e4656f463ce84ecd8e7e6a1eb8.jpg

1449f25961b2f121c5ff61e3407a4023.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been happy with the MR Pop Up 28. I've been using it for 3 seasons and have packed out several deer with it. There are a couple of dedicated threads on the MR 28 that you can find with the search function.

I like that or the 38, I’d love to get my hands on one to see if it’ll fit all my cold weather gear

If you’re a taller guy like me (6’3), you may like the Kuiu Venture 2300. Super comfortable, and while it isn’t the perfect tree stand/saddle pack, it’s awesome for putting on the miles.

I went with the Badlands Vario 33 and I added the day pack and the meat shelf too. In warmer weather, I'll user the day pack on or off the frame. In the winter, I can pack all my warm gear in it and it carry's great. There's lots of options, but the warranty is just too good. I've been happy so far!

I wouldn’t get a pack to put all your winter layers “IN”. Get a frame pack with a load shelf and a bag just big enough to fit your gear. Then strap your layers “ON” the pack. Or in the load shelf depending on arrangement and weight. A pack big enough to fit clothes for 15* will be quite annoying when you’re not using it.

you make the sacrifice out west when you have to pack camp in. But even there I went to a separate stuff sack for camp that I dumped at camp, so my actual bag I was hauling around all day wasn’t huge.

The frame is the key. The bag is secondary.

Last edited:
Turkey Vest! I've been using one since I watched @boyne bowhunter video. Here's the benifits I see:
1. Keeps critical items at reach. You don't have to take it off everytime you need something.
2. Highly modifiable
3. Large back pocket for platform, stand, ropes...
4. Hangs in front of you and doubles as a knee pad, but lays relatively flat against the tree
5. Distributes weight well.
6. Can be used to haul meat
111668bcf6f68b10c08371b0dedd9b4b.jpg
19114a2ac6b2d1465c8f0309565c9486.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t get a pack to put all your winter layers “IN”. Get a frame pack with a load shelf and a bag just big enough to fit your gear. Then strap your layers “ON” the pack. Or in the load shelf depending on arrangement and weight. A pack big enough to fit clothes for 15* will be quite annoying when you’re not using it.

you make the sacrifice out west when you have to pack camp in. But even there I went to a separate stuff sack for camp that I dumped at camp, so my actual bag I was hauling around all day wasn’t huge.

Yea I’m fine strapping stuff to the outside, that’s what I do now, it’s more abo it weight distribution. My current pack doesn’t have a frame and I carry all the weight in my shoulders. Makes for some painful days.

Great advice! No need for a bag that can fit the kitchen sink. Outer layers are easy to store outside the actual bag. I've been using a Horn Hunter but honestly only use it 3-10 times a year depending on how my regular season goes. Decent quality for what I use it for but for sure not the same quality as something like a Kifaru

I did use it up in Potter this year a few times. What I like about it is I can leave the main frame at the bottom of the tree and just take up the small bag that detaches from the main frame. Really found that pack useful for its intended purpose which is when hauling in cold weather gear. Other than that its just too big of a daily bag for me during regular season

Back