• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking to get into 1-stick

Cjw2

Looking to get into 1-sticking. I have been using 3-4 Hawk full length sticks. Want to get a separate one-stick set up without going broke.
1. I can use a figure 8 to rappel down from the tree, but will I need to use a separate tether then for hunting height and climbing?
2. What specific stick with 2 step aider should I go with? Don’t want the most expensive, but don’t want the cheapest.
3. What thickness Amsteel is best to use with the harken cam cleat? Or can I use daisy chain webbing on a versa type button?

Thanks everyone

Looking to get into 1-sticking. I have been using 3-4 Hawk full length sticks. Want to get a separate one-stick set up without going broke.
1. I can use a figure 8 to rappel down from the tree, but will I need to use a separate tether then for hunting height and climbing?
2. What specific stick with 2 step aider should I go with? Don’t want the most expensive, but don’t want the cheapest.
3. What thickness Amsteel is best to use with the harken cam cleat? Or can I use daisy chain webbing on a versa type button?

Thanks everyone
3 step Hawk sticks?

I climb with my rappel rope, keep a separate tether for getting around branches. I still use a 2 step Hawk stick with harken cleat. 3/16 Amsteel full bury works great, and has enough rigidity to move up larger and rough bark trees. I use Amsteel aiders from the Amsteel guy, which I like better than webbing aiders. I use 3 step 17” spacing but that depends on your height/flexibility.
I spent a long time trying just about every possible configuration to see what I liked best. A lot of things are pretty personal/dependent on your comfort level with different aspects.

I put a harken 150 on my short Helium and climb with it. I use a Trophyline EDP at height to hunt off of. For rope on the one stick I use 6mm sterling accessory cord. I don't like way the cleat pinches and frays the amsteel. I've been using the same piece of 6mm cord for 4 seasons now (close to 400 climbs) with almost no evidence of wear.

Most one sticks I have tried all operate the same, it’s the platform on top that makes all the difference. If you lean or stand straight, big or small, you will need to figure that out and then go from there. You can find used ones here or on Facebook, give it a try and likely sell it for what you bought it for if you find a good deal. Going new, EWO makes some really nice one sticks that glue themselves to the trees. I sent you a message on them. I did this search last year and landed on them, a bit more money but after using it, it would be hard to beat and worth every penny.

You could also build one if you are handy. Find the parts and out one together to try it out.

1. You don't necessarily need a separate tether.
Though I rappel with a Madrock, I wouldn't find it necessary. I hang on my rappel rope and have it figure 8 wrapped and in my roll pouch.

That being said a separate hunk of rope with proper prusic material wouldn't be a bad thing to keep in a pack in case needed.

2.I went straight to a sewn aider from EWO. It's hard to beat their quality of gear regardless of price. 2 step aider with 17" spacing then found a used 3 step aider with 15" spacing that favored me more.

3. I believe 3/16 amsteel full bury is what is used for the harken 150 cleat.

Thanks everyone
I think you need a 3 step aider. I use it on the first stick set on the tree. the rest of the climb I do 2 things with it, set my stick good before I start up, and with my foot in 3rd rung the 2nd rung is tight and stable. I climb quieter, safer, and with less movement using that 3rd rung. I would highly suggest to build an 18inch EWO UP. I use a 15inch but with the 18 you can stand on the bottom rung and sit on the platform, so you have a nice little seat facing the tree (you can always cut it down smaller). another important thing about it are the little wings like on the tethered platform, they allow you to squeeze knees and be hands free while going around limbs (it's 3-5 seconds unhooked, u decide your comfort level doing it, I do it). the reason to 1 stick to me is the platform stick combo. I think it is more trouble than it's worth if having a separate 1stick/ platform, and probably better ways to climb like 2tc in that case. my 2 cents. as far as aiders? webb will be a little easier, feel a little better than Amstel I think. I'd go with a madrock, bunch of reasons but that's more personal preference

Last edited:
I think you're in a similar situation to me. I have a set of 4 full length heliums (3-step, 30"). Great value for sticks, dislike the bulk and weight. I started by adding two single aiders on the bottom two. I've since added a 2-step to the now bottom. It gets me to 25' or so which is plenty. My intention was to drop a stick or two depending where I'm hunting to drop weight and bulk, but keep using sticks. Then I tried a 2 TC and love the weight and bulk savings. I picked up a rappel rope/setup per this post:

Now, while I'm still honing in each of the methods, I'm going to try one-sticking with the full length sticks. I have the 2-step aider, which on a 3-step helium is a nearly 6' span from top to bottom step. That's further than I'll be able to make a move. Instead of cutting sticks and converting straps, I'm just going to go buckless attachment with the current strap and button. If I don't like it, I haven't done anything permanent and I haven't spent a ton of money on gear that I can't recoup or won't reuse.

I recently started one-sticking. I took an old Muddy Pro stick, put EWO lower standoff and fixed double step on the bottom and got a used U.P. platform for the top. It works great! Or if you already have sticks and a platform just climb with one of your sticks and set the platform at hunting height. You can make it work however you want.

For aiders I would get an Ultim-aider or amsteel aiders. I have a 2 step amsteel aider on it and am very happy with it. I don't think a 3rd step would gain my much and I likely wouldn't even use the bottom step except for the first set from the ground.

I have been using a Figure 8 to rappel, so I was climbing with a short tether and hunting with it, then putting on my rappel rope at the end of the hunt to come down. It works, but I just bought a Safeguard and plan to climb and hunt with the rappel rope as my tether now. I will still carry my extra tether and lineman's ropes just in case I need them.

Back