• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mantis fixed bridge concerns

Amarty734

Like the title says I am curious to if any of you have had issues with the fixed bridge length of the mantis? From what I read, if the bridge length isn’t right for you, you can end up with hip pinch. Should this be a concern for me? I’m 5’7” about 180 lbs with a 34” waist and plan on buying a large saddle. Has anybody had an issue with this? I guess if there is a problem I can make my own bridge

Like the title says I am curious to if any of you have had issues with the fixed bridge length of the mantis? From what I read, if the bridge length isn’t right for you, you can end up with hip pinch. Should this be a concern for me? I’m 5’7” about 180 lbs with a 34” waist and plan on buying a large saddle. Has anybody had an issue with this? I guess if there is a problem I can make my own bridge

Absolutely. Terhrd took the most commonly used size bridge and spliced it into the design so that it would result in the lightest saddle on paper. Great marketing strategy and fits a lot of people. But in reality, the correct bridge length for each person will be slightly different. Not only does your body size play a roll in bridge length but so does your tether height and whether you are a leaner or a sitter. All of this changes the angle of your bridge and tether from where it’s attached to the tree. A fixed bridge should only be used after you have used an adjustable bridge for a while and developed a hunting style that works for you and you have everything dialed in. There is no other way to know what bridge length will be most comfortable for you.
I cut mine off immediately and used carabiners to attach a known working bridge the correct length for me. It added a few more ounces but improved its comfort. We each have to find the right balance of weight savings verse comfort to find the saddle that works best for us. If the mantis doesn’t meet those requirements for you, don’t give up on saddles. Luckily today we have options. I decided to stick with another brand for now. Saddles are very personal.

I use a pretty long bridge in my setup, ~39". It alleviates any hip pinch and allows me to rest my head on the bridge while sitting without a carabiner sticking in my ear. That said, I still have the stock 30" bridge installed. I use the stock bridge for my climbing/rappelling connection and swap in my adjustable lineman's belt for the stock bridge once I'm settled in the tree. I simply connect the carabiners from the lineman's belt to the bridge loops and insert it into the tether carabiner. I can then slip out the stock amsteel bridge while staying connected all the while. This gives me the ability to adjust the bridge to whatever length I like for longer sits. Since I'm carrying the lineman's belt anyway it isn't costing me any weight or extra bulk.

I honestly believe the guys at tethrd tried to offer what they thought was the best all-around saddle for most people. But at heart they are a bunch of DIY guys so I promise you they're not going to be upset if you tweak it to fit you better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I did run into this problem! Tethered offers a great product. I was having horrible hip pinch. Once you sit in the tree for a few hunts or for practice you start to understand placement of the tether is important to help with hip pinch. I had to lower mine. I'm more of a leaner, so there are a couple things you can do here. If you like the weight savings of the amsteel ,first sit in your saddle and see if the length they have works for you. If not get some webbing and tie it to the saddle ( do some research and find a knot you like) Tie it on and shorten or lengthen it. You will feel the difference right away!
Once you determine the length you can get more Amsteel , watch g2 outdoors and greg goes over how to make a locked bremel and a bremmel stitch, I think he does that on his sit and drag video.

Whoopie sling Amsteel bridge. Its instantly adjustable to the tiniest degree without having hardware or knots to mess with. Once you figure out the best length, you can either keep the whoopie or swap it for fixed.
My original plan was to swap it for fixed and I may do that someday. But for now, I'm really liking the whoopie...I might just keep it that way.

Whoopie sling Amsteel bridge. Its instantly adjustable to the tiniest degree without having hardware or knots to mess with. Once you figure out the best length, you can either keep the whoopie or swap it for fixed.
My original plan was to swap it for fixed and I may do that someday. But for now, I'm really liking the whoopie...I might just keep it that way.
Allegheny Tom I am still waiting on my Mantis to arrive but I like the idea of a Whoopie Sling, What size of Amsteel have you made yours? ½ inch like the one that comes with saddle?

Personally the bridge on the mantis is too long for me, as others mentioned it’s a preference thing.... I went to a tubular webbing bridge tied on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allegheny Tom I am still waiting on my Mantis to arrive but I like the idea of a Whoopie Sling, What size of Amsteel have you made yours? ½ inch like the one that comes with saddle?

Doesn't the Mantis come with 1/4" Amsteel? 1/4" has over 7,000 lb break strength. The 1/2" is ~30,000!! If you need 1/2", then you should put down the fork! :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Doesn't the Mantis come with 1/4" Amsteel? 1/4" has over 7,000 lb break strength. The 1/2" is ~30,000!! If you need 1/2", then you should put down the fork! :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes 1/4 inch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok my mistake! And I have put the fork down!
Now where would be the best place to buy the Amsteel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back