• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Modification to my climbing sticks

Backstrap Assassin

I tried looking to see if my idea has been done or at least talked about on here, but I couldn’t find anything.

After looking at the new hunting beast climbing sticks I’m thinking about drilling some air holes in my muddy climbing sticks to reduce the weight like they did.

Has anyone done this to their sticks yet? My concern is that the sticks strength is reduced.

Thoughts?

You do it 1st and let me know how it works!! I really like the sticks, just hate that they weight 12lbs.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I haven't seen anyone do it on muddy's yet but there are lots of threads on here with people doing it on lone wolfs.

How much weight can you seriously lose by drilling a bunch of holes?

Not much. Well over a pound on 4 muddy sticks
If you are young and like the weight carry 12 pounds.

I carry 6 pounds or less for sticks and one aider.

Sell the muddy sticks and buy Dans or helium’s cut down or make some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm considering selling my muddys and buying the API Hunti'n Sticks. They are 32'' with fixed steps and I believe they are made out of 1'' 1/8 thick square tubing.

My plan would be to cut these down to 22-24'' steps, drill holes, and switch to amsteel to make them light as possible.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm considering selling my muddys and buying the API Hunti'n Sticks. They are 32'' with fixed steps and I believe they are made out of 1'' 1/8 thick square tubing.

My plan would be to cut these down to 22-24'' steps, drill holes, and switch to amsteel to make them light as possible.

Thoughts anyone?

My buddy Dennis just did this. Not sure on the weight, but he got heck of a deal from Bass Pro.

What size holes, and how many did you drill in them? Dan's look like more hole than stick. I would love to have some, just don't have the $$, but I do have a drill press.....

A cordless with a step drill bit will work. You have to drill carefully. Mark the tube on all four sides and drill half inch holes dead center one inch apart.

I drill straight through and then off set the other two sides.

What size holes, and how many did you drill in them? Dan's look like more hole than stick. I would love to have some, just don't have the $$, but I do have a drill
press....

Did these on a drill press using 1/2” bit and then a step bit to finish.
Also cut the notches in the steps a little deeper and sharper. Used a couple different hand files for that. Then finished them by dabbing on selfetching primer from a spray can.
Used one of those disposable foam brushes from the dollar store.
Someone said they were slippery so I fixed that before I use them.
Skipped a space around the step mounting holes when drilling. Just to have enough strength in those areas.BE19B37E-C81C-42C7-9892-0BDF2F342EBC.jpeg

So....This happened today and I was definitely disappointed....Went from 11.28 lbs to 10.96lbs....A difference of .32lbs. Oh well every little bit helps and they are still very sturdy.
a7e9bdf118b0dc4f41178654ab897f8f.jpg

Thoughts anyone?
Don’t think I can make them any lighter without changing the tubes.CF52AEA7-DEC9-4EA9-8260-A102DB03DEE7.jpeg

You are using 1/4 Amsteel with your API's right? Also, that the versa button that came with the API sticks or did you make a new one? I'm trying to figure out if the factory versa button that came with my API's will work with 1/4' Amsteel. Lastly, how far down is your versa button hole from the top step hole and do you like the placement?

Thanks again!

Yes it is 1/4” Amsteel. Everything I’ve done on these sticks is credited to the thinkers and tinkeres on this site.
The button is the api that I counter sunk the bolt head into.(DaveT) I used a drill bit but I would suggest maybe a dremel with a small routing bit.
The drill bit tended to grab and go to deep in this plastic.
Using a small routing type of bit would allow you to take small amount of material out until desired depth.
The rope bites into itself nicely behind the button and finish with a couple of half hitches. Watch Dave T video on YT. He explained his system in detail on it. One thing I did is where the sticks contact each other for packing is using the soft side of sticky back Velcro to kill any metal noise.
I cut my sticks at 24 1/2” down from the top. That way gave me steps at 20”on center using th factory placement of the top step and middle step.
The button stays in its original spot on the stick which is 8” down from top on center.
One thing I would suggest is depending on the size of trees you climb I would buy plenty of rope.
It takes 12” alone to tie the locked bremel to create the loop. Also another 5-6” to serve the tag and back into itself to create a little bit of weight to the tag end. This helps when throwing the rope around the tree. Amsteel is very light.
Think my ropes started around 9’ or so and ended with 7 1/2’.
Some trees I tend to climb have large bases. I may go with longer ropes in the future.

So....This happened today and I was definitely disappointed....Went from 11.28 lbs to 10.96lbs....A difference of .32lbs. Oh well every little bit helps and they are still very sturdy.
a7e9bdf118b0dc4f41178654ab897f8f.jpg

Only 1/3rd of a pound? Really.

I just bought 2 sets of these. I don't think I'll drill the holes in them but cutting them down would be nice. I figure if I use 4 I won't need an aider. Then depending on the tree maybe use 5

Back