• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mystery Ranch Popup 28 and 38 Talk

gcr0003

SH Member
I know this is a pack that’s been out for a while now but I wanted to put some thoughts and questions together here as I start to set up and learn to use this pack. I didn’t see a review thread specific to this pack but would be happy to merge with another thread if I missed it.

I got it tonight and here are some random first thoughts…

I got my 38 in this evening and only had a few minutes fooling with it. I’m not sure if I’m impressed with it or hate it. Some of it seems well thought out and some of it doesn’t make sense to me. My set up is extremely minimalistic this year with just 2 tethers and a platform so I know this will easily carry what I need. The question is will it carry it how I need it.

I bought two large hip pouches as well and I can tell you that they are in fact not what I would consider as large. I’m a little disappointed in the size and they’re also pretty and zipper seemed extra loud.

I’m going to get my gear in the pack tomorrow and see what I think. Craftsmanship is nice I’ll give them that. I’m not sure what the complaints were towards the hip belt but it seems nice? I need to check and see if I’m able to extend the torso, I’d be surprised if I can’t.

I’m a little surprised and maybe I shouldn’t be but this bag seems so flimsy. I guess I’m use to the internal frame given the bag some rigidity. This will likely be a non issue but just something different to get use to,

The last thing for nowthat I can’t understand is why they wouldn’t make the lid detachable. That would be such an easy design change and the allow a significant amount more of flexibility.

Also I see now that bottom buckle covers the water bottle holder which is dumb. It does look like you could maybe get away without connecting it though?

@Bigterp I know you just recently got a popup 38 and im curious if you have like 4 inches between your frame and your bag? With all the straps cinched down there is just a lot of space between the bag and frame and I am not sure it will hold stuff very secure that way.

@Bigterp I know you just recently got a popup 38 and im curious if you have like 4 inches between your frame and your bag? With all the straps cinched down there is just a lot of space between the bag and frame and I am not sure it will hold stuff very secure that way.

Are you talking about the entire bag or just the lid portion. I've seen one other person reference this but my bag sucks tight to the frame. There is a trick with the new 28's to wrap the stop straps around the frame to tighten up the lid. There is a thread on here somewhere. Not sure how that applies to the 38.

Are you talking about the entire bag or just the lid portion. I've seen one other person reference this but my bag sucks tight to the frame. There is a trick with the new 28's to wrap the stop straps around the frame to tighten up the lid. There is a thread on here somewhere. Not sure how that applies to the 38.
I’m talking about the back of the bag to the frame. The gap is in the area where the meat would go. I’d like for it to be tight when no meat is in there so I can cinch down gear etc. So it would include the upper portion where lid connects as well as the lower portion. I’ll try to get pictures this evening.

Yeah there’s very little difference bw the 28/38 bag just size & layout. As @GCTerpfan referenced you can reroute the top buckles to ride the bag higher with less flop
0DD7AEC1-EF6B-44F6-8ABA-C5CB12137FA4.jpeg
There’s a little gap when the bag is empty, but that’s rare that you’re going to pack in completely empty. I’ve done it to help others pack out. But with anything in that bag that void is filled in.

Might be a silly question. But do these pack mess with wearing your saddle in? Do most wear the pack up the tree or pull it up? Thanks

Might be a silly question. But do these pack mess with wearing your saddle in? Do most wear the pack up the tree or pull it up? Thanks
I’ve had several hip belt type packs similar to this and never had much problem with them. When I ride my bike or start my climb up the tree I unhook the waist belt. I feel I have more flexibility with it. If you wear the pack low on your hips you will need to put the hip belt around it. I think if you’re wearing it properly it would be off your hips. If you have saddle bags I could see there being some annoyance in interference there.

Not loving this pack up to this point. So much slop in between the bag and the frame and it sits back instead of tight to your back. With the weight in the pack it does carry relatively ok, but I had nothing else in it, When I put my cold weather layers in the bag it took up the slop but I don’t know how well I’ll like this with my minimal set up.

The manufacturing and materials seem great, I just can’t tell if this bag Is for me. With my normal gear it feels like it hangs/leans real far back, which is awkward.A865ECA7-FFEE-4AF2-9094-310C5E09E0D9.jpegB60EF30A-D893-4606-B8A8-8842100EF619.jpeg9639CFB4-68EB-4345-8B20-3A988F8E45EB.jpeg44544BEF-F2A1-4B9D-A63A-AB76FD36140E.jpeg

Not loving this pack up to this point. So much slop in between the bag and the frame and it sits back instead of tight to your back. With the weight in the pack it does carry relatively ok, but I had nothing else in it, When I put my cold weather layers in the bag it took up the slop but I don’t know how well I’ll like this with my minimal set up.

The manufacturing and materials seem great, I just can’t tell if this bag Is for me. With my normal gear it feels like it hangs/leans real far back, which is awkward.View attachment 77619View attachment 77620View attachment 77621View attachment 77622
Try re-routing the top buckles.

The manufacturing and materials seem great, I just can’t tell if this bag Is for me. With my normal gear it feels like it hangs/leans real far back, which is awkward.View attachment 77619View attachment 77620View attachment 77621View attachment 77622

From the pics it looks like you need to adjust the yoke way up.

Also, as far as the sloppiness of the lid, the method above works or you can simply wrap the buckles around the top bar and accomplish the same thing.

From the pics it looks like you need to adjust the yoke way up.

Also, as far as the sloppiness of the lid, the method above works or you can simply wrap the buckles around the top bar and accomplish the same thing.
Yea I was playing around with the torso length last night but was having a hard time finding the sweet spot. They did not have the lengths labeled, only tic marks, so I was guessing a little bit. I think I need to go a through more iterations to get the fit right. Thanks for the video. I will try that this evening. I really disliked my Venture 2300 when I first got it until I got familiar with it and its features, so I am hoping I find something similar with this pack.

The top side straps are the ones that were so loose when there isn't much in the bag. The bag seems like is need a strap around its self to the frame to take out the slack. I had my fix platform in between the frame and it was still floppy. Not until I put my bulky winter clothes in it plus the fix did the straps have enough tension on them to take out the slop.

Yea I was playing around with the torso length last night but was having a hard time finding the sweet spot. They did not have the lengths labeled, only tic marks, so I was guessing a little bit. I think I need to go a through more iterations to get the fit right. Thanks for the video. I will try that this evening. I really disliked my Venture 2300 when I first got it until I got familiar with it and its features, so I am hoping I find something similar with this pack.

Here's a little better video.

Essentially this:
B60EF30A-D893-4606-B8A8-8842100EF619.jpeg

If you pick the bag up by wrapping those top straps I think you will see a big difference in how tight they all are.

It’s going to be a lot better once you get it properly fit.

When you weight it up, typically you want the load lifter webbing to form a 30-60 degree angle. That’ll pull the load in much better.

71DF0D70-8A55-43DA-AA00-4A31B7F224B2.jpeg

It seems like your belt may be riding a touch low, hard to say for sure, but something to pay attention to. That belt should ride on the crests of your hip bones for best performance. Then if not comfortable, adjust from there.

Last edited:
It’s going to be a lot better once you get it properly fit.

When you weight it up, typically you want the load lifter webbing to form a 30-60 degree angle. That’ll pull the load in much better.

View attachment 77641

It seems like your belt may be riding a touch low, hard to say for sure, but something to pay attention to. That belt should ride on the crests of your hip bones for best performance. Then if not comfortable, adjust from there.
The hip belt kept starting higher then sliding down as I walked around. I have had this problem with most packs though. The pack felt pretty good weighted, but not as much un- weighted.

I’m going to try wrapping the buckles and extending the torso.has anyone had issue with the torso coming out since it’s just held on by velcro? As I extend the torso the less velcro is holding it in place. That was part of the reason I didn’t extend more as well.

Also, I was worried about extending the poles up too high. The bag is rated to carry 80 lbs and I didn’t want to bust them. I extended them out to 7 or 8 I think. How high do y’all extend them when packing a deer out?

The hip belt kept starting higher then sliding down as I walked around. I have had this problem with most packs though. The pack felt pretty good weighted, but not as much un- weighted.

I’m going to try wrapping the buckles and extending the torso.has anyone had issue with the torso coming out since it’s just held on by velcro? As I extend the torso the less velcro is holding it in place. That was part of the reason I didn’t extend more as well.

Also, I was worried about extending the poles up too high. The bag is rated to carry 80 lbs and I didn’t want to bust them. I extended them out to 7 or 8 I think. How high do y’all extend them when packing a deer out?

I would extend the yoke to the point it fits. The poles have a max height mark on them, extend them as high as you need up to that point. You won't break the pack.

I’ll look when I get home, extend max on packout & min but still fit on reg carry ( unless it’s heavy)

@Plebe @GCTerpfan the pack fits really nice and feels good with all my heavy winter clothes in it. I have found a way to pack stuff for warm weather but I’m not sure if I love it. I’m hesitant to take the tags off. If I take them off I’ll have a better chance of figuring out the pack from field use but I also forfeit returning or reselling… gahhB7DEF9D1-5A46-4AC2-A875-0AAF33B59C9D.jpeg62C4AB8E-C07B-4D70-99C6-0B09E22A0D3A.jpeg

Anyone have a picture of how the pouches mount? The Molle on the hips look too narrow and if you go around the webbing you cover up the slide release?!?

Back