• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Newbie Questions

TadpoleCole

Im new to this and trying to get everything priced out.

Climbing sticks -$60
Splice kit - $15
Lineman’s belt and harness - have
2 caribeeners - $20
Sitdrag - $35
2 Saddle bags - $20
20ft. 1/2” Amsteel - $18
Ascender - $44

Total - $210

Does this sound about right? I kinda want to go down this road because I have a buckhorn self leveling climber, it’s nice for light travel but it is heavy and makes a decent amount of noise. Plus I hunt public land and I’m always moving in and out of sets.

My question is it worth it to go down the saddle route? As a 21 year old it would make sense cause I have the youth and can withstand what’s thrown at me.

If you have any other things I need or cheaper setup let me know. Tips and tricks would also be good. Honestly anything helps because I am fresh at this.

And what is the 1/2" amsteel being used for?

I also wondered about the $60 sticks..? If your goal is light and packable I would recommend buying a good set of sticks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Basic and Basic can get
Sticks $100 helium’s
Sitdrag
1/4” Amsteel x3’ max for bridge
8’ climbing rope for tether
12”- 18” prussic rope
2 carabiners
Maybe could cut it to less than that
I’m assuming you have a harness your going to wear because you didn’t list one.
That will get you hanging
Splice with a wire coat hanger
You can carpenter tie your ropes you don’t have to have pouches
I wouldn’t buy assender until you decide your all in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic and Basic can get
Sticks $100 helium’s
Sitdrag
1/4” Amsteel x3’ max for bridge
8’ climbing rope for tether
12”- 18” prussic rope
2 carabiners
Maybe could cut it to less than that
I’m assuming you have a harness your going to wear because you didn’t list one.
That will get you hanging
Splice with a wire coat hanger
You can carpenter tie your ropes you don’t have to have pouches
I wouldn’t buy assender until you decide your all in

Good advice right here!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm with ImThere buy good quality climbing sticks . Use the best stuff you can afford. You sure don't want some of your equipment to fail. Good luck and be safe.

Im new to this and trying to get everything priced out.

Climbing sticks -$60
Splice kit - $15
Lineman’s belt and harness - have
2 caribeeners - $20
Sitdrag - $35
2 Saddle bags - $20
20ft. 1/2” Amsteel - $18
Ascender - $44

Total - $210

Does this sound about right? I kinda want to go down this road because I have a buckhorn self leveling climber, it’s nice for light travel but it is heavy and makes a decent amount of noise. Plus I hunt public land and I’m always moving in and out of sets.

My question is it worth it to go down the saddle route? As a 21 year old it would make sense cause I have the youth and can withstand what’s thrown at me.

If you have any other things I need or cheaper setup let me know. Tips and tricks would also be good. Honestly anything helps because I am fresh at this.

I PM’d you

I have most of what u need & it is all brand new. I’ve bought extras for most things that I’m probably not gonna use now that a Mantis , Predators & other Tethrd stuff is ordered.

Most guys are preferring double steps.

Hawk heliums are a popular choice. They are cheaper, have double steps, folding steps, lightweight and good potential for future modifications.

How do you guys get around branches? You have to hook something up before you unhook your linemans rope, what and where do you do that?

How do you guys get around branches? You have to hook something up before you unhook your linemans rope, what and where do you do that?
I use my tether and have a ropeman on it. Clip my figure 8 end of the tether into the same biner as my lineman belt. Then attach the other end with the biner that I keep on my tether/ropeman and then detach my lineman belt. Climb over the branch and reconnect and then take off the tether strap.

Back