• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules
Hey All, I have hunting private land in Carroll county Ohio for that last 3 or so years. The family that gives me access to their land may be moving to Kentucky this year. My question is if anyone has experience hunting public land in south east Ohio and if so which areas do you recommend and what have you experienced?

Hey All, I have hunting private land in Carroll county Ohio for that last 3 or so years. The family that gives me access to their land may be moving to Kentucky this year. My question is if anyone has experience hunting public land in south east Ohio and if so which areas do you recommend and what have you experienced?
Any areas with big big deer. Lmao. I think you be fine. I would research on fish and game site

You'll probably hear Wodburry and Dillon come up. I went once with two other hunters, none of us had been before. We scouted a half day, then hunted the gun opener and the following day and a half. Two of us were on good bucks, the other saw nothing at all. There was, as expected quite a few other hunters, and I had a guy post up 50yds from me on the opener (I was elevated and I honestly don't think he saw me). Another in our group had a conversation with a guy who asked how he'd found the spot that he'd been hunting for 20 years. He wasn't confrontational, just surprised. Said he had good luck there in the past, but that hunter saw 0 deer. We saw nice bucks driving around in the mornings, and a few locals got monsters.

The buck I encountered was 130ish, solidly over 120 but not nearing 140. I saw a few does each day, but didn't have all day action.

If you don't mind the heat, October really is the time to hunt public down here. When the tenth of November comes around, you can't find a spot to park

If you don't mind the heat, October really is the time to hunt public down here. When the tenth of November comes around, you can't find a spot to park
I am coming out from Virginia, so what do you consider heat? Lol. I am aiming to get out there early bow season.

You'll probably hear Wodburry and Dillon come up. I went once with two other hunters, none of us had been before. We scouted a half day, then hunted the gun opener and the following day and a half. Two of us were on good bucks, the other saw nothing at all. There was, as expected quite a few other hunters, and I had a guy post up 50yds from me on the opener (I was elevated and I honestly don't think he saw me). Another in our group had a conversation with a guy who asked how he'd found the spot that he'd been hunting for 20 years. He wasn't confrontational, just surprised. Said he had good luck there in the past, but that hunter saw 0 deer. We saw nice bucks driving around in the mornings, and a few locals got monsters.

The buck I encountered was 130ish, solidly over 120 but not nearing 140. I saw a few does each day, but didn't have all day action.
Thanks I will look up Wodburry and Dillon. I shooting to keep close to the south east part of the state as that is the area I am use to and I familiar with the drive. I don't think I would be in there around gun season if I can prevent it.

Thanks I will look up Wodburry and Dillon. I shooting to keep close to the south east part of the state as that is the area I am use to and I familiar with the drive. I don't think I would be in there around gun season if I can prevent it.

Gotcha, they are both more central.

I think the tennessee/north carolina now hunters association hunt wayne national forest almost exclusively it seems like. Need to be a goat to hunt it, especially here in Gallia county

Lots of Wayne national forest in the Southeast ..you also have the only wilderness area in Ohio in Shawnee State forest.

Lots of Wayne national forest in the Southeast ..you also have the only wilderness area in Ohio in Shawnee State forest.
Wayne looks pretty nice actually and only 15 minutes more than the drive I am use to making. I will start checking it out.

Morgan and Muskangum counties were good to us but be prepared for the giant Amish deer drives and tons of hunters. We found that getting into deep draws away from normal traffic produced every time.

Doesn’t Ohio have the preference point system for out of staters ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know iowa has tag draws but no idea how that works. I just want to go there to trap coon when that becomes worthwhile again.
Iowa charges ~$60 per point and many zones require 3 or 4 points to get drawn for bow. And when you actually apply for the drawing, you apply for a specific zone. A NR tag is only valid for one zone.
It costs upwards of $900 for a NR Iowa bow tag when you add in the cost of the points to an already expenive license.
Iowa points used to be $10 each about 15 years ago.

And Ohio is OTC. No points and licenses are state wide. Getting hard to find private land for free though. Its not like it used to be.

I live in Muskingum county. Moved here 4 years ago. Most of the wildlife areas (Tri Valley, Powellson, and part of Dillon) are old strip mines and some is flat out not huntable unless you are part billy goat. I have hunted Zaleski and Tar Hollow for years. It’s rough country but not strip mined.

I send to easily get permission to hunt private but you gotta pay anymore.

Back