• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Revisions to ur system

Yup. Sure do. New saddle, probably pretty similar to yours from Wood. Excellent choice so far, no reason to doubt it staying excellent.

Currently playing with shikar minis, I catch on everything I walk by :(. Liking them a lot with aiders, which I like anyway.

Looking to lose bulk more than weight too. Experiments in progress. Smaller diameter, and less length because I don't use the 40' I carry, are on the list

Maybe not changing so much as adding. I have been practicing a good bit of shooting off the ground and I am seriously thinking about one of those Pacseats. I found quite a few good locations this post season that have no climbable trees but good sign. I will keep the 2TC going as is for sure.

Last edited:
Yup. Sure do. New saddle, probably pretty similar to yours from Wood. Excellent choice so far, no reason to doubt it staying excellent.

Currently playing with shikar minis, I catch on everything I walk by :(. Liking them a lot with aiders, which I like anyway.

Looking to lose bulk more than weight too. Experiments in progress. Smaller diameter, and less length because I don't use the 40' I carry, are on the list
How are the Shikar minis for u?

I’m shedding as much weight as I can this season. Hunted last year with 4-5 beast mini’s and a Cruzr seeker platform. That’s a fairly lightweight set up, but I’m primarily going to an EWO Ultimate one stick. 4lb stick and 40ft of resc tech 8mm rope. Most of the time I’m hiking a good ways in, up and down some steep ridges. Shedding nearly 7 pounds should make a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been reconsidering my climbing method. As I am getting a little older aiders and me are not getting along so well. I am loving these LWCG compact sticks. May be running 4 of the 32" sticks. Alot more weight but a easier way to climb.

I've been thinking about starting a thread like this for a bit. It's all the little tweeks that we all do that make our own system unique. A lot of it ends up being personal preference I know but some of the little tricks people use to fix a small problem are awesome! Love to have a thread that highlights all the little fixes people do to there system to streamline it. I've been doing a bunch lately and thinking about it. I'll post up some of the stuff I'm changing when I get a chance.

I’d say “revising” is a perfect word for what I’m doing to my system. Will still be use the LWCG .5 and compact sticks, Cruzr xc saddle.
I’m doing this such as adding a phone holster to my pack should slings. Changing my milkweed container. Dropping a dump pouch off my saddle. I feel any less item I can bring in the better. If it’s functional it’s okay to add or bring with me

1. I’m going from using 4-5 sticks with aiders to 3-4 sticks with aiders and using the versa-aider. Lighter weight. Fewer sticks to bring with me up the tree and hanging off my saddle when climbing. Fewer sticks to hang. Fewer sticks to take down. Fewer sticks to pack up.

2. I now have a complete hybrid system setup and ready to go. I now have a treestand system, a saddle system, and a hybrid system. Just grab backpack and go. No more swapping gear or equipment around between different packs. There was some added expense in getting three entire systems purchased and ready to go, but it’s much better than swapping gear between backpacks after sitting in a tree all day in November and running short on sleep. And then realizing I left my release in the other backpack or something silly like that. LOL.

3. Finally ditched the traditional shoulder style safety harness for treestand hunting. Modified the shoulder harness by cutting off the shoulder straps and had some sewing done, turned out very similar to a RCH or dryad killdeer but with better leg straps and has options to attach dump pouches. Can also be used with the dryad hammock. Much more streamlined. Really looking forward to it.

4. Drew an elk and bear tag for this fall. With inspiration from @Red Beard I will be 2TC up an aspen tree over the elk carcass and hunting bear. Better than hauling sticks 2-6 miles back into the mountains.

Last edited:
Changing up quite a bit like is usual for me. However I’m trying to break the cycle starting this year. (Wish me luck). Got a Cruzr XC saddle. Went back to TreeHopper ROS. Still staying with the old reliable beast sticks. I did reduce down to 3 sticks instead of 4 and used a 3 step aider to get up to the first stick. I really like this method and love the reduced weight and bulk. Even though the sticks are pretty light, it’s still noticeable.

Waiting on a beast stand to arrive any day. This is the big change/addition this year. I am planning on sticking with this for the foreseeable future. Going to do the hybrid approach and then use the ROS of going ultra portable or if I’m not sure I’m even going to set up that day.

Also bought a Summit viper last year and admit that I love it. So I’ll be using that here and there from now on too.

Sticking with my same bow and crossbow, arrows and likely same broad heads.

I'm back to old reliable 9mm htp for my rappel line, swapped quiklink for a biner, and replaced a ball compass and refilled my milkweed. Retied some knots and hitches.....ready for sep

What carabiner are you going with? I’ve thought about going with one instead of a quiklink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally made the switch to bolts for presets on private (from Cranfords). Time will tell but it should give me the ability to preset more trees, and they’re lighter and more compact so can freelance during the season.

I’m shedding as much weight as I can this season. Hunted last year with 4-5 beast mini’s and a Cruzr seeker platform. That’s a fairly lightweight set up, but I’m primarily going to an EWO Ultimate one stick. 4lb stick and 40ft of resc tech 8mm rope. Most of the time I’m hiking a good ways in, up and down some steep ridges. Shedding nearly 7 pounds should make a big difference.

You'll like the one stick.

The only complaint I have is it seems that there is always a knot on the tree where one of my stand offs need to be for perfect height in the tree.
I'm changing to the EWO UP flat platform this year. Just to make it a smidge easier to flip around for an off side shot.

Waded into the archery pool a couple years ago and then saddle hunting last year. Started with things that would work but not break the bank, found out I love the archery aspect and the saddle approach so I’ve upgraded a few things saddle hunt wise and am learning to do more on my own for the archery. I’m afraid I’m in the deep end now.

Upgraded from Hawk Helium sticks and XOP platform to Tethrd One sticks and predator platform (platform off classifieds here). Saving 8 pounds will be nice, felt like I could sprint around the block on trial runs.

Upgraded from a homemade gear strap to a purchased one that will suit me better and be quieter. Nothing wrong with the homemade route imo, I just don’t have the skill set to make a nice one that some of you do right now.

Unclear if it’s an upgrade yet but I ordered Iron Will broadheads with the hopes I’ve got the skills to keep them sharp and will pass them on to my son someday. See how they fly for me I guess, might be a catch and release.

Another classified pickup, got a jig and have learned to put my own wraps and vanes on my arrows. Probably the easiest thing ever that many would laugh at but I am enjoying customizing my own arrows and more importantly being able to repair at home. Also picked up an arrow saw, got my sons discount kids arrows to a better length for him and am sort of excited to build my own at some point. First new wraps and vanes pictured.

Attachments

• 0108D7EE-9A76-4A06-8A9A-114234FBF674.jpeg
    0108D7EE-9A76-4A06-8A9A-114234FBF674.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Back