• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scentlok or Sitka or First Lite?

KeystoneCowb0y

Sort of last minute here, but I need some new hunting clothes for this season and would appreciate some input on deciding between Scentlok, Sitka, or First Lite.

It seems like Sitka and First Lite are better quality and have better camo patterns available than Scentlok, but Scentlok obviously provides better Scent Control, but the patterns aren't as good and the quality isn't quite up there with them.

Should I go the Scentlok route to have better Scent Control but not as great camo/quality or with something like Sitka or First Lite for a better pattern and better quality clothing?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Dont trick yourself into thinking scentlok isnt nice clothes, it is. Its more about what you want out of each piece. I might sell a windbrace suit here only because my system has changed. Not cause its not great gear. Dare I say it might be better, its fleece, its not riddled with white, windproof, quiet.

I have scent lock and Kuiu stuff. I buy the SL stuff in off season on sale. If money was no issue I would buy Sitka gear.

I have tried them all.

In my opinion Sitka and Kuiu have the best fit. For whitetail I don’t think there is anything that surpasses Sitka in comfort, quality and execution. However I think scentlok has way better patterns. But the scentlok quality and consistency in fit has a lot to be desired.

If you can afford it Sitka is the way to go. Head and shoulders above the rest.

I like Sitka for the quality but full disclosure...I get the professional discount because I'm a Veteran. Its still expensive though! I've had issues with First Lite, seams coming apart, holes developing in merino, etc. They took care of it all of course but I've never had that issue with any Sitka piece that I've owned and I've been using off and on since 2011.

I like Sitka for the quality but full disclosure...I get the professional discount because I'm a Veteran. Its still expensive though! I've had issues with First Lite, seams coming apart, holes developing in merino, etc. They took care of it all of course but I've never had that issue with any Sitka piece that I've owned and I've been using off and on since 2011.

I got snagged on a dead downed tree and put a hole in my stratus bibs. 100% my fault. They repaired it for free even paid the shipping. Sitka has stellar customer service. I think scentlok also has exceptional customer service also with my limited interaction.

I would really like to get to Sitka gear but that price tag....wow... plus there's no way I'd take fanatic set into the woods I hunt... it would be impossible to get burrs out of that stuff... I like FLs merino layers a lot and I think their whitetail gear is getting a lot better... they have that corrugate foundry pant that looks to be pretty bullet proof....I can buy into John Eberharts approach about 50%... I think it helps but I'm a lot more confident playing the wind... also... I'm not going to be meticulous as he is with scentlok gear so I'm not even going to go there... I'm looking for either FLs next round of gear as well asBadlands...they have some pretty great stuff as well

Ive been through them all too <--- kuiu guide in pic i no longer own. I prefer the fit of first lite in them all. There was nothing i didnt like about my sitka gear at any point except the elevated 2 pattern, boy does it suck. Sitka one time saw me complaining about a pair of gloves that I seriously threw in the trash I was so pissed. They reached out to me and sent me a new pair for free, without ever seeing a proof of purchase.

I have only owned scentlok so I can’t compare. But, I think the O2 whitetail and Tera Gila are 2 of the better patterns out there for breaking up your silhouette.

You know what my favorite pattern is? Whatever I see someone else wearing in the woods. Its a disease, i see someone wearing x and im like MAN THAT LOOKS INCREDIBLE.

Wonder if theyre thinking the same :D

I have enough FL to get me through the temperatures of the season, but I have a swirly river valley and, for better or worse, picked up some Scentlok at a decent discount in the off-season. So for what it’s worth I’m a guy who owns FL gear - and it’s great - but will be mostly in Scentlok this year, figured it’s worth a go.

I went through a similar dilemma a few years ago. Kuiu vs. Sitka vs. First Lite... A wise man once told me Sitka is the warmest, Kuiu is the lightest, and First Lite is in the middle. This was my logic: I'm in Texas so there are literally only 2-3 days a year that the warmth of Sitka is needed. While I put in many miles on public land I am not backpacking for days on end so I don't need the weight savings of Kuiu. Honestly, I liked the way the pattern of First Lite best and if is am going to spend serious $$$ on camo I want to like the way it looks. So I decided on First Lite, so far I have liked everything I have purchased and they have a decent sale twice a year.

A wiser man once said:
“The best camouflage pattern is called, “Sit down and be quiet!” Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second.” - Fred Bear

So... does it really matter... No clue but First Lite makes me feel like I am a better Hunter.

I have a Sitka jacket and that thing is nice. I love the hand warmer pocket in the front. That is a great design. I also have a couple of the lighter weight garments from Sitka. They are nice but pricey. I have been very pleased with Scentlok in both the clothing and the scent reduction aspect. I was skeptical before last season as far a the scent aspect went. I picked up some on deep discount post season and wore it all last season and did not have one deer blow at me. The season prior to the Scentlok they were blowing up a storm. There was no playing the wind early season. It would blow to all four points of the compass in an hour's time. In my experience Scentlok is nice clothing and they put it on sale often.

If you are thinking about getting any First Lite they have a sale going on now on select items.

I’ve owned all three. I like Sitka the most but I can’t justify the cost for gear I wear at best less than 20x a year. Scentlok fits me the best and helps keep my stink down a bit. Scentlok is also the most cost effective and if you can use a mil/Leo discount even less expensive. I could give a crap about pattern, hunting ain’t a fashion show and deer could care less. I will say I’ve found Scentlok the best at wind control. Also, if I tear up some Scentlok I don’t feel bad. Sitka is like the first time you bang your new bow on something in my book. Sitka gear has a more athletic fit and I’m trending toward dad bod these days with orangutan arms and it fits me well. They offer tall sizes as well. Perhaps if you’re a plains hunter or put lots of miles on your gear sitka is justified but for me just swinging in the breeze Scentlok is plenty

Sitka gear is very good. You won't feel a lick of wind in the stratus gear. Yeah camo is odd for our eyes, but I've literally had deer stare at me presumably trying to figure out what I am. It is expensive. Proper care should keep it for many many years.

Scentlok is okay. If you buy it out of the bargin bin it's a good deal. I wouldn't pay full price for it. Or unless your gonna go full John Eberhart with it. But then you need multiple sets.
What size are you? There is some good stuff on the classifieds ATM if your a large.

Sitka gear is very good. You won't feel a lick of wind in the stratus gear. Yeah camo is odd for our eyes, but I've literally had deer stare at me presumably trying to figure out what I am. It is expensive. Proper care should keep it for many many years.
True. I can wear the Stratus well into December in northern MI and I’m a skinny B that gets cold easily. You can also walk right up on deer and they’ll look right through you. In the tree they have a hard time seeing you as a human shape and that right there is worth the cost IMO.

Ok, if I'm going to drive in. What would be the best initial investment in Sitka? I'm thinking of a Fanatic Hoody that would be used every hunt even in cold weather I'll just add layers from the tons of camo clothes I inherited. But I am having a hard time justifying to wife that I need a $200 pant.

Back