• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Seeking Advice for Newbie - Gear Choices

TNbowhunter

Hi all, long-time, first-time here. I'm finally biting the bullet and making the switch to saddle hunting after being forced to hunt the wrong tree with my big, bulky climber one too many times. I've already read much of what's been posted on here, but I'd still love to hear y'all's advice/feedback on gear.

About Me
I'm 6'3, 165 lbs. with a slim/athletic build, and I hunt primarily in TN, and I don't hunt below 25 degrees or so. Also, I never do all-day sits (no time with work, wife and baby), so something that's comfortable for 3-4 hours is plenty for me. I primarily hunt private land where tree penetration is permitted, but don't want to risk tree health unnecessarily. I have no clue whether I'll be a sitter or a leaner, and I don't know anyone (nor is anyone close on the SH user map) who could let me test-drive their saddle. Finally, I'm on a limited budget since I have a stay-at-home wife and one-year-old; I'm content to wait for deals/sales to get the gear I want and would rather do that than pay premium dollar or compromise on gear selections just to saddle hunt this season).

Climbing Method
I purchased some Hawk Helium steps from Bass Pro, since those seem to have the lowest learning curve for newbies like me. I aspire to use spurs or bolts one day, but didn't want to make too many changes from my typical hunt from ladder stands and climbers right now.

Saddle
Safety is my #1 concern, which has pushed me away from DIY/sitdrag options (I know they CAN be safe, but my low level of risk tolerance makes me want a factory model starting out). I'm leaning toward buying a medium Mantis, but I'm just not sure about it. I've also considered the Aero Hunter Kestrel Flex, which seems to be a very comfortable option.

Platform
I'd love a Gen 2 Predator based on what I've seen and read about them, but shelling out that kind of dough will probably be tough for me. If my year-end bonus is right (fingers crossed!), I might buy one, but for now, I'm leaning toward a cheaper option--recommendations welcome.

Ropes and Other Gear
I'm inclined to shell out the money for the Tethrd ropes because they seem to be the best combo of safe, lightweight and practical, but I'd love to know if that's not money well-spent. Also, I'm torn about whether to use a couple of Ropeman 1's, as they seem extremely convenient but may reduce overall safety of the system. Finally, I plan to purchase the Tethrd HYS strap and gear pouches (or DIY/convert from other gear, if there are better options out there).

What are y'all's thoughts? What sounds right? What am I missing? Thanks so much in advance for your insight!!

Welcome from another noob!

Those Helium sticks are pretty sweet, have you tried them out yet? I'm really digging mine

Noob myself. Ordered kestrel flex kit with the adjustable closed bridge, muddy pro sticks, and ridge runner. So far everything is ordered but haven’t received anything yet. The saddle will not be here for this years bow season.
I plan on one sticking, I really like the idea of carrying one stick into the woods after making the terrible decision of getting a summit goliath sd (I’m 5’8” 140 lbs lol). I plan on replacing the prusik on the tether with a rope man 1 or 2 for the easier ability to adjust my tether length. I personally know 0 people that hunt from a saddle. I live in Midwest Iowa. So that gives me an advantage I hope. I plan on using beast style methods for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi TN, I'm a year in so a noob as well. I would suggest a large saddle for you. I also agree that Tethrd ropes are excellent, I use their ropes as well. I found Molle bags on ebay for 1/2 the cost of the Tethrd bags. I highly recommend the Ropeman 1 for both your lineman's belt and tether. the options outside the Tethrd Predator and OOAL limb Podium are limited. You can use the top of you Helium sticks for short sits. Good luck.

Don’t rule out a ring of steps. 2 steps placed even with the top of the stick is a cheap alternative. You can buy 22 ft of oplux for both your ropes cheaper than one rope from tetherd. Do you have a rock climbing harness? If so a fleece saddle is cheap, super comfortable, and super safe because you are hooked to a climbing harness.

Don’t rule out a ring of steps. 2 steps placed even with the top of the stick is a cheap alternative. You can buy 22 ft of oplux for both your ropes cheaper than one rope from tetherd. Do you have a rock climbing harness? If so a fleece saddle is cheap, super comfortable, and super safe because you are hooked to a climbing harness.
@Marc W Thanks for the advice!

How does the OpLux compare to Tethrd’s ropes in terms of safety and durability?

Also, I don’t have a RCH, but I could maybe be talked into doing a fleece saddle rig. What are the downsides of that, though?

Not sure about durability yet but strength is good and the compact size is awesome. I actually use a wraith under my fleece saddle most of the time, whatever you use has to lay flat so it doesn’t get bunched up under the fleece and create hot spots.

This is my first year trying SaddleHunting too.

I’m like you.. stay at home(pregnant) wife and a 2 and 5 year old so budget was low and time in the woods has been less.

Here is what I did:

-DIY Sit Drag. I’ve tried everything to fall out testing it and trust it with my life every time. But for Christmas a new manufactured saddle is on the list. No clue which route to go there.

-Amsteel bridge and backup lineman’s belt.

-Hunter Safety rope for $20 that I use as my lineman’s belt and my tether.

- Ropeman 1 but I only needed the one. Worth every penny.

-5 WE steps and knaider/swaider from Jamie Cline. Been using 1 to 2 steps as my platform.

-Perch platform just came in mail. Got it on Veterans Day discount. Haven’t tried it yet.

Before the perch I maybe had $200 in it.

I read the sticky above on newbie advice. Season’s just about over for me, so I’m prepping now for next year.

I’m going to full DIY to enable me to learn everything really in-depth.

I pored through many posts and quite a few recommended doublestep. I went there and found all the rope I need. Basically going with 9 mm static rope for everything but bridge, which will be Amsteel. Also got some milspec tubing for good measure.

I read a lot about Ropeman and decided it was not for me. Going to experiment with Prusik and tenders.

Based on my research, I’m going with a Metolius Safe Tech Improved RCH and Fleece saddle.

I decided I was going to get up Trees via SRT. I was flip-flopping between Grigri, CT Rollnlock and Madrock safeguard for ascent/descent. I like things that don’t come apart...finally decided on a mega jul or jul2. Got a fusion ascender and will make my own step.

What’ve I missed?

I read the sticky above on newbie advice. Season’s just about over for me, so I’m prepping now for next year.

I’m going to full DIY to enable me to learn everything really in-depth.

I pored through many posts and quite a few recommended doublestep. I went there and found all the rope I need. Basically going with 9 mm static rope for everything but bridge, which will be Amsteel. Also got some milspec tubing for good measure.

I read a lot about Ropeman and decided it was not for me. Going to experiment with Prusik and tenders.

Based on my research, I’m going with a Metolius Safe Tech Improved RCH and Fleece saddle.

I decided I was going to get up Trees via SRT. I was flip-flopping between Grigri, CT Rollnlock and Madrock safeguard for ascent/descent. I like things that don’t come apart...finally decided on a mega jul or jul2. Got a fusion ascender and will make my own step.

What’ve I missed?

Platform? Ring of steps?

Platform? Ring of steps?

Ah yes. Platform. Haven’t figured that one out yet. At this point I like the looks of the Predator one. Or who knows maybe a DIY. Anyone DIY a platform yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah yes. Platform. Haven’t figured that one out yet. At this point I like the looks of the Predator one. Or who knows maybe a DIY. Anyone DIY a platform yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Take an angle grinder and chop of the seat portion of an old hang on stand. Then flip it upside down and strap it to the tree. Now you have a free platform.

Back