• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thoughts on Broadside Stands climbing platform???

My hesitation to use any type of climbing platform is that I prefer to hunt out of trees that have limbs.
With a saddle that is never an issue though. With a platform, a tether with a footloop, a stick, a climbing platform it doesn’t matter the process is ultimately the same. Hang from the saddle, unhook the climbing method, reconnect above the series of limbs and get around them. I do agree though if it’s a ton of limbs then a climber would never be the most efficient method, but I stand by bypassing a few limbs isn’t bad at all.

Last edited:
I just watched the climbing video (which was really well done). My first thoughts on the platform itself is that it looks cool, but I don’t understand the X Shape. I could see the legs of the X being used to kick off and around the tree but I don’t see that as feasible while using it in “climber mode” since the rope is in the way. The X shape gives away some structural strength that seems pointless to me.

As for the climbing system I think 4 safety pins will be noisy. They are clearly cumbersome to hood up the system. I think there could be a more elegant solution for attaching the climber rope. Now for the climber assist rope I think that ingenious. I’m not convinced it would work on tree with any kind of size but the simplicity of the solution is what’s cool to me. The way he is utilizing the assist rope I could see people transforming any platform they own into a “climbing platform” of sorts.

So like many new saddlehunting gear releases, it doesn’t solve any problems I currently have but it’s awesome to see. Who is going to be the first to buy one?

Looks pretty cool. I just got a LWHC for the second time. Nothing wrong with the first one, just wanted something different. I don’t like the price of this though, also don’t like the 4 cotter pins. Understandably, you would only be utilizing 2 every hunt. The platform post is a really good idea too. I’ve seen where a few people have added a post to their hand climber, I may try that. I wish this new company luck and like others have said, hopefully this gets the ball rolling for other companies or other ideas.

I could never justify $400+ dollars on a platform but i guess a good stick and a separate platform is getting close to that for a lot of people.

Watched the video... between the setup and moves up the tree it looks like this would not save me any time or hassle from one-sticking. Too much going on. If it was just bang bang bam im on the tree and shimmied up as quick as a regular climber i think i would be all about it. I know how dyneema moves up a tree though. If its a smooth bark tree, wont be too bad but its gonna be a pita with rough barked trees. Also, its gonna fray up that dyneema quicker than a cable or band. My climbing stick has the same thing and it doesnt last more than a couple seasons before its so fuzzy it'll hang up on beech trees.. Thats one more cost factor and probably not a cheap replacement if you buy it from them.

I think the assist rope in the back is smart though. Maybe make some dyneema soft shackles to replace the d loop hook ups and try to rig this up on a mission platform.
I really dont like how the broadside platform has to keep the dyneema tight the whole time your hunting. i hate cables or lines near my feet when im hunting. i would imagine tripping on that and messing up a shot. The real estate on that platform is already small enough. Thats one of the things i like best about regular platforms vs. hang on tree stands. no wires in the way.

Looks pretty cool. I just got a LWHC for the second time. Nothing wrong with the first one, just wanted something different. I don’t like the price of this though, also don’t like the 4 cotter pins. Understandably, you would only be utilizing 2 every hunt. The platform post is a really good idea too. I’ve seen where a few people have added a post to their hand climber, I may try that. I wish this new company luck and like others have said, hopefully this gets the ball rolling for other companies or other ideas.
thats true. only hooking up 2 pins, thats a big difference. didnt think about that.

Saddle platforms turned climbers have a thudding sound as you go up.

do you think the broadside will as well?
the lwhc setup is kinda loud too in my opinion
I turned several of mine into footstep climbers, and because of being tethered in gravity forces your feet to somewhere inside the tree. Add the effort of dragging the rope or cord over the tree bark and concentration to keep it from catching on something, then whe you finally reach the height of your step its natural to want to relax and let your feet down, which makes a thud. You can be careful but it takes alot of concentration on all of the aspects.

Back