• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Toughest (Reusable) broadhead

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So in the #roadto20 (thanks @gcr0003) quest, I've ruined 5 broadheads in 7 shots. Schwackers, Rages, and other mechs are nice for killin' but one-and-done is kinda a bummer when you're trying to decimate the herd.

I can sharpen knives and broadheads, but hate doing it. About the only knife I sharpen is my filet knife and my little SAK beater. I love me some havalons and scapel blades, and I like replaceable broadheads, but usually the ferrule on those type of broadheads isn't really tough.

So, does anybody have a recommendation on a broadhead that will kill 5-6 deer before it gives up the ghost? Don't want a 3 blade, and if it has replaceable blades it needs to have a beefy ferrule. Looking for folks who have firsthand experience with reusing them for a bit. I'm leaning towards just buying a pack of the 2 blade magnus stingers I used to shoot, but honestly I kinda gave those up because I wasn't wowed by the blood trails. Don't want the model with bleeders becasue those broke and then you're back to replacing AND resharpening. Too much work.

Iron Will. Lifetime warranty on every head. Fly great and group well in my bow. You get what you pay for....

Have you checked out the thread on the jager broadheads they sound like they might fit your bill but as for me I really like Simmons heads I have had really good luck with these!!

Last edited:
Jager is good doesn’t break the bank and couple swipes on a stone and it’s ready to go again. Magnus is also good little more work to sharpen but taken 6 deer with one before giving up the ghost

man without sharpening i dont know. Magnus 2 blades are hard to beat if you are willing to replace the blade/send it in. but every shot i take i sharpen that blade before i use it again. I love the samurai heads for killin but soooo expensive and the hard blades will stay sharp but they will chip easier. prolly just going back to my magnus 150 gr heads.

I’ve put a cutthroat through some pigs, a deer and passed through on one and buried into a log. Still could shave hair at some points on the blade. Takes about 2 min to get real sharp again as well.

Sent from parts unknown

man without sharpening i dont know. Magnus 2 blades are hard to beat if you are willing to replace the blade/send it in.
Yeah I'm the same. The Magnus Stinger Killer Bees are serious. Think the challenge is not hitting ground/rocks behind your target. Had one broadhead zip through two deer like butter without being stopped. It broke one front leg bone clean in half. Probably would've gone through another four if they were lined up right. However, the rocks on which it landed caused a bleeder blade to curl up.

Eclipse 145 gr 2 blade. One of the few non-3:1 heads that Ashby gave his blessing to, if you're into that sort of thing. I'm not, really, but can get them sharp, they hold up well and I like the way they look.

I've sent two Magnus broadheads down range this year. One through a doe and into the dirt and one through a coyote spine and into the dirt. Both Broadhead look great and were easy to sharpen again but both are bent and can't get them to fly straight again...

I’ve heard some good things about the schwacker knock offs on eBay. 2 dollars a piece but made in China. Two blade broadheads like the zwickey, iron will, grizzly ets are probably the most durable but I really like the performance of a 2” mechanical.

I’ve heard some good things about the schwacker knock offs on eBay. 2 dollars a piece but made in China. Two blade broadheads like the zwickey, iron will, grizzly ets are probably the most durable but I really like the performance of a 2” mechanical.
Same. I've looked at the Chrage broadheads too. Tempting...

So in the #roadto20 (thanks @gcr0003) quest, I've ruined 5 broadheads in 7 shots. Schwackers, Rages, and other mechs are nice for killin' but one-and-done is kinda a bummer when you're trying to decimate the herd.

I can sharpen knives and broadheads, but hate doing it. About the only knife I sharpen is my filet knife and my little SAK beater. I love me some havalons and scapel blades, and I like replaceable broadheads, but usually the ferrule on those type of broadheads isn't really tough.

So, does anybody have a recommendation on a broadhead that will kill 5-6 deer before it gives up the ghost? Don't want a 3 blade, and if it has replaceable blades it needs to have a beefy ferrule. Looking for folks who have firsthand experience with reusing them for a bit. I'm leaning towards just buying a pack of the 2 blade magnus stingers I used to shoot, but honestly I kinda gave those up because I wasn't wowed by the blood trails. Don't want the model with bleeders becasue those broke and then you're back to replacing AND resharpening. Too much work.
You should mention what grain heads you are looking for. It will help narrow your search. And are you willing to shoot single bevels? The answer to that will also narrow down the opinions.

Last edited:
Pretty much any BH made by Abowyer is indestructible. Stinger Buzzcuts leave a nice trail though.

I have been using a Simmons Mako for 3 seasons now. I have killed 4 deer with the same head. They're .050 thick blades with bleeders and the blades are replaceable. I have bent a few tips on rocks or rebar that holds up my deer target(i'd assume is expected of every broadhead out there), but I have not broken a single head yet.

The heads are around $45/3, and replacement blades for all 3 is around $30 I believe. One thing I love about the SS is they don't rust and I can easily sharpen them my RADA sharpener.

You should mention what grain heads you are looking for. It will help narrow your search. And ate you willing to shoot single bevels? The answer to that will also narrow down the opinions.
im gonna go out on a limb and say 100gr or 125gr just from what ive seen nutterbuster post in the past? im having a hardd time giving up on my single bevels besides cost (only con IMO). they are a fantastic design for killin stuff. and easy to sharpen! (with the exception of a convex/concave blade). If you dont have a lot of rocks around where you hunt i recommend everybody give them a try.

Rocks are the death of all BH's on passthrough shots (biggest con in my new heavy arrow journey). i had some annihilators that apparently shoot great into sheet metal and concrete but when you hit some real life quartz...were back to chuckin em. the hole it punches through flesh isnt all it was advertised to be either.

Back