• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What’s your rappel yank down?

Marmuzz

What are you all using to pull down your rappel rope? I’ve been using paracord and it works but more often than not I am pulling like crazy and the paracord just happily stretches and doesn’t budge the rappel rope. Been thinking about switching to DynaGlide from EWO but was curious what works for others.

never had a problem with paracord either. Where are you tying it on and do you use a d-link or anything? i removed all hardware from my rappel rope and it pulls down easy and just less problems overall. i tie the pull down rope right to the end of the loop where its closest to the other side coming through.
The time it takes to fish the long end of the rappel rope through a tied loop is negligible compared to opening and closing that metal link. the metal also kpet annoying me when i didnt have weight on the rope it would fall down the trunk a little. with just the rope it cinches tight and stays there just like my ttether. i tried to use the rappel rope for my tether but found it a bigger PITA than it was help.

I think probably the biggest issue is if you are standing away from the tree or not. If you step away from the tree about 10-15ft and do a little whip motion with your pull-down that will help you not get hung up. If you sit right at the base and pull it can take a bit.

Also paying attention to any branches that may hider your pull. Pull angle makes a difference.
Theres a few things to watch for.
One time I lowered my bow and it went left side of a very small branch and I rappelled straight down right side of little branch. Not a big deal right.
My rope started coming down nicely up to the point where the crossover was.
Let me tell you it won't happen twice.
I had to go up and correct it.
I wouldn't budge, break or go over the little insignificant branch.
What and how you do make ensure a good retrieve.

Dynaglide but thinking about trying Amsteel.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Curious…how do you get your bow down? Separate rope?
No, same rope. One end has a quick link that I connect to a prusik on the gun strap. Other end has a carabiner. That way when climbing I can clip the carabiner on the saddle and pull up the rifle after I’m set. Then it does double duty as a rappel pull down.

never had a problem with paracord either. Where are you tying it on and do you use a d-link or anything? i removed all hardware from my rappel rope and it pulls down easy and just less problems overall. i tie the pull down rope right to the end of the loop where its closest to the other side coming through.
The time it takes to fish the long end of the rappel rope through a tied loop is negligible compared to opening and closing that metal link. the metal also kpet annoying me when i didnt have weight on the rope it would fall down the trunk a little. with just the rope it cinches tight and stays there just like my ttether. i tried to use the rappel rope for my tether but found it a bigger PITA than it was help.
I have going back and forth on using a separate tether vs. climb/hunt/rappel combo tether. Right now I’m climbing on one rope using a quick link and rubber washer keeper, hunting from it, and then rigging up to rappel on it too. I’ve started pulling the rubber washer either way down the rope or through the quick link before descending because too many times I’ve wondered if it’s jamming up the works.

Back