• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which states dont allow screw in steps?

Be better to ask if any states do allow screw in steps on public land, I'm not aware of many? I know in New York State it is illeagal to screw anything into a tree on public land. Curious to hear more states on this one for sure.

Last edited:
Hey All,
Sorry if this has been ask before but couldn't find any info but is there a list somewhere?
It's a lot more involved than yes/no. It depends on the type of public land as well.

For example, in MN state forests they're ok. Much other publicly accessible private land they're ok. Wmas snas parks etc they're not.

Here's what Virginia dgif says about our wma's:
"It is unlawful to construct or occupy any per-
manent structure (including a permanently-af-
fixed tree stand) except by Department permit.
It is unlawful to cut, mutilate, destroy, or re-
move vegetation or to remove other minerals,
artifacts or other property from this area."
So that's not exactly clear. I know some officers weigh in on either side.
However, individual counties can enact stricter regs. I know Fairfax county doesn't allow them. Dgif always encourages hunters to contact the local dgif officer to learn the local ordinances

Last edited:
Oklahoma say's no ...
3c3e2fc2250a24d24163ed5c5ad54f9c.jpg

I suggest you put some time into learning about public land and how it works before you step foot on wildlands looking to kill something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dependent on what public you are hunting and who owns it. State land has different rules than county land, which is different than paper mill land.

Maryland is a No
New York is a No
New Jersey is a No

Illegal in Wisconsin. “It is illegal to...damage trees. Cutting shooting lanes and use of screw-in tree-stands or steps are considered damaging and are illegal on public lands;”

However, you can leave treestands up overnight north of Highway 64 if you’re into that sort of thing. :smirk:

This isn't exactly true. You are allowed to use screw in steps on MD State Forest as long as they are removed when you leave.

“Tree stands are allowed but must be a portable type and must be removed daily. Screw-in type steps are prohibited.”

Back