• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Layercakesss29

IMG_8639.jpegSo, I’ve been hunting this area and yesterday I got on some deer (one in pic). My problem is this is all briar and thick cover with a field opening. The closest, and only, tree is the one in the pic. Kinda risky, but would you guys sit this tree?

this is why I also have several ground blind type setups I use. I have 3 fiberglass poles with a little camo netting for a quick lightweight setup, a ghost blind and one of those run and gun style turkey blinds. All of which are easy enough to haul in and set up wherever i need to. But I really don't like sitting on the ground down here in Texas this time of year. I've had a rattlesnake crawl right up under my rear end before and that is no fun. Sometimes you just have no choice though.

Seems to me you’ll get picked off in a second in that tree. And if you’re low in the tree looks like you won’t be able to shoot through the junk right there. That’s how those kinds of setups always are for me anyway. I would set on the ground as low as you can get somewhere along there. If you have a ghost blind to sit behind that might be a sweet set for that situation.

Seems to me you’ll get picked off in a second in that tree. And if you’re low in the tree looks like you won’t be able to shoot through the junk right there. That’s how those kinds of setups always are for me anyway. I would set on the ground as low as you can get somewhere along there. If you have a ghost blind to sit behind that might be a sweet set for that situation.
I need to get one, so useful!

I would hunt that from the ground if I were you. Less chance of getting picked off. Looks like you could probably carve yourself out a nice little natural ground blind with a little bit work and some sharp pruners.

I would hunt that from the ground. I love finding spots like that. You’ll have plenty of thick back cover and they’ll look right through you. I’ve killed 2 sitting against grown up old fence rows in the last couple weeks. You would be amazed at what you can get away with when you’ve got good back cover.

I shot a doe from this spot yesterday evening.
If you look at the left side, that thick junk is also what was behind me.

2486809804060e0835d7bf9fa8e61c3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would hunt that from the ground. I love finding spots like that. You’ll have plenty of thick back cover and they’ll look right through you. I’ve killed 2 sitting against grown up old fence rows in the last couple weeks. You would be amazed at what you can get away with when you’ve got good back cover.

I shot a doe from this spot yesterday evening.
If you look at the left side, that thick junk is also what was behind me.

2486809804060e0835d7bf9fa8e61c3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Almost want my Turkey vest, haha!

Would I hang it? Nope. Would I bucket brigade it? Yep. That’s a bucket hunting post if I ever saw one. Get you right in behind that tree, brush in brush behind you and you’ll be field dressing in no time. As they say, hunt where the sign is. Well the presence of deer is a + sign for sure.

Back