• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Making the EONPOW climbers a viable option!

Boudreaux

Vendor Rep
If you haven’t seen @redsquirrel post on these check it out here http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/eonpow-climbers.3810/page-3
I have always been interested in a climbing option like this for years, Reds thread inspired me to give them a try. So, I picked a set of these up off the classified. I have been back in Missouri for Thanksgiving so I have been using these and messing with them.
Like Red, out of the box there are some flaws.
The straps - how in the hell is the crap they send supposed to work?!?!
Adjustability - there is some, it could be better, but it is the main cause of the noise.
Noise - they are loud out of the box, they rattle and create a lot of noise.
Hardware - crappy hardware that was bent or cross threaded from the start.
Climbing - it is awkward with little to no adjustability. There is nothing to lock them in place so they they can change size as you climb, becoming to big or small for the tree your climbing.

After a few test climbs to help identify the problems it was time to modify them.

First thing to tackle was the noise and adjustability, these go hand in hand.

C51C3CB2-69EF-41ED-82D4-BC04737DD312.jpeg

The “cleat” on the foot section, that sets in the inside of your foot, moved very freely and rattled around and had cheap hardware. I swapped out for better hardware and a locking nut on the bottom. I tightened it, to eliminate the rattle but still be able to adjust. I will add some stealth strips to this later.

C73B851D-8003-44A3-8C0F-26D373DD53D6.jpeg

The free sliding arm that wraps around the back of the tree, this is where most of the noise and all of the lack of adjustability was. I simply removed the arm from the foot section, drill a hole in the small section where the arm attached to the foot section, welded a 5/16 nut on it and added some plastic handled hardware to be able to ADJUST and LOCK the arm in place. This removed almost all noise and added adjustability.

F92CCEE2-38CB-4436-81E3-8FA4C19B9E35.jpeg

At the very end of the arm they had some more crappy hardware to keep the arm from falling off. I wanted to swap this out, I went with a simple pin, so I could removed the 2 sections if I needed to pack them into a backpack but also to keep the arm from falling to the ground if adjusting up a tree.

C3E7F520-D491-4049-AB70-5090D77CDA78.jpeg
72BA7F20-DB19-4E04-A8F9-6F6D7D7E9C52.jpeg

The foot strap, like Red I wanted a heal and toe strap for them. I use 2 extra trail cam straps that I had for this. I used one strap per side, on the inside a ran a few hand stitches to the webbing. This was done to make sure that the buckles on my strap would alway be on the top of my foot for comfort, as well as being able to pull the straps away from the tree to tighten, so I could retighten if need going up the tree.
You will also see the paracord tied to the outside of each one. This is the safety rope, I attached this via a small carabiner to my leg straps on my kestrel, so that they are attached to me at all times.

C468137D-20BB-44A5-9C9B-145DD46897F3.jpeg

Overall,
They are a viable option, I really liked them and felt safe using them. That said, at close 7 pounds they are not for everyone and every situation. I plan on ordering some stealth strips in Strata and wrapping at least the back of each arm that goes around the tree. This is where your noise will come from, contacting each other on the back of the tree while climbing. I also plan to make some type of spacer for them so I can stack them and strap them together with out them banging into each other.

Using them on limbed trees? It really depends on the tree, a few 3-4 large limbs are easily navigated. The worst were small off shoot limbs that are smaller around than a finger and only a few feet off the tree. They need to be cut. Also, a lot of limbs very close together can be tough to navigate.

Tree size? They will adjust from about 8” to 18” diameter tree. Someone like me that likes smaller trees, they will work well for.

Platform exchange? I tried this about every way I could think of, the best was to step above with one foot and then remove the climber, then stand on the platform while bringing the other foot above the platform. The climb down is the same thing in reverse.

Video? Coming soon, I lost all of my video of them before I made mods. I have video of the platform exchange, climbing to 18 ft vs muddy sticks and a review of all of the mods that I did to them.

Thanks,
Boswell

Awesome! Love your idea for locking them down. That is what I never figured out so I never actually hunted with them this year. I’m gonna give that a shot. I took the little claw out and wrapped it in stealth strips. They aren’t too noisy now. They are easy to climb with and the only real limitation is tree size. Agree with everything you said!

@boudreax, your thread inspired me to take these out again. I had been stuck on a way to lock them down at a single length so I gave up on tinkering with them during the season. I love your solution so I have some knobs on order. I don't have any welding equipment, but I'm going to try using JB weld for the nuts, I think it should work. Last night I felt like trying them again, so on my second hunt ever with them I shot a doe :D.

Your going to be making videos all off season! Lol then before you know it you can climb a tree and hunt again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your going to be making videos all off season! Lol then before you know it you can climb a tree and hunt again

Once the offseason starts I'll be telling you I have to take care of offseason projects first :p

I know that’s the truth. Life sure will keep a man busy.

Sometimes it really is amazing that I squeeze in hunting. Actually it's not, I just procrastinate all other household duties lol. Like I'm changing broken outlets today...

Sometimes it really is amazing that I squeeze in hunting. Actually it's not, I just procrastinate all other household duties lol. Like I'm changing broken outlets today...

Lol @ redsquirrel
We are going on 1 bathroom since August because hunting season came around. I’m about to get real busy.

Have you made the video yet ?

Yes, the video is done. I have a little voice over left to do. My editing program is giving me fits with the side my side. So its no where near the best, but neither are any of my other videos. Look for it out in a few days.

Thanks,
Boswell

Yes, the video is done. I have a little voice over left to do. My editing program is giving me fits with the side my side. So its no where near the best, but neither are any of my other videos. Look for it out in a few days.

Thanks,
Boswell

Good to see somebody not slacking! Bwahahahaha

Man I'm glad you posted this. I was waiting to see them in action!

Do you think that hand tight bolt will be strong enough in the long run?

Love your sewn strap idea...works great.

How was it coming down? Difficult? Easy?

These are basically legal spurs or tree gaffs. I use my gaffs EXACTLY like you demonstrated. You might have just eliminated my sticks altogether. Excellent!!!

Concerning what to do with them at hunting height - I hang my spurs from my accessory strap. The same strap I hang my bow from. That works very well for me. What I ended up doing was putting duct tape over all the metal so I wouldn't get any reflection from the sun.

Wow and I sold mine! Guess I'll reorder!

!!!

I actually used these on my last 2 hunts... and I shot a deer on both

The bolt idea was a great idea. I don’t have welding equipment so I’ve been working on a way to do the same thing without welding. First try was jb weld. Seemed strong but it broke the first time out. My next try was a mold out of insta morph. I’m pretty sure this will hold.

I have just lowered them down and rappelled down when I used them.

The nut thats welded on them will hold, I have no worries about it going any where.

Climbing down was about the same no issues coming down. This is the reason I don't seen a point in carrying extra gear to repel down, if there was I might not use them.

Concerning what to do with them at hunting height - I hang my spurs from my accessory strap. The same strap I hang my bow from. That works very well for me. What I ended up doing was putting duct tape over all the metal so I wouldn't get any reflection from the sun.

I was thinking the same thing, using the safety strap that I attach to the saddle and clip to my bow hanger to have them hang just below my platform.

I think these are a GREAT option for presetting trees. Hoping to have my mounting bracket done this week.

Thanks,
Boswell

Boswell - do they still make these? Can't seem to find any.

Back