• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

5.5lb climbing, platforming, & descending package - Solo Scout

Red Beard

SH Member
Saddle hunting is dangerous. People have died doing it. Know that if you hunt from an elevated position, there is a higher percentage of you not coming home to your loved ones than if you stay on the ground. Take the words/ideas of dudes on the internet with a grain of salt; very few of them are experts. I am not an expert. DO NOT run out and climb 20' to attempt what you see below. Some of the concepts you see below may be physically demanding in nature. DO NOT attempt what you see without assessing your own physical abilities and limitations. Think about it. Test it. Proceed with caution.

Be kind... first video ever.

Last edited:
legit man. Looks like a good set up. Only thing I seen you do that I don’t is use linemen’s. I understand why you do tho. It’s nice to have it to lean into when stepping up in the aider and onto the platform. I just never did use it when I climbed one sticking just another thing to mess around with in my opinion. But looked super easy. Nice job!

That is awesome! Great job. Now I'm going to have to rig my Solo Scout up to give that a try. Thanks for posting!

Edit: BTW, love to see the EVO in action. My first saddle and I still have it in my box of toys.

Last edited:
Well done sir, well done!

Props to your daughter for doing a great job filming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honored by the shout out and man , what a system! Super light and very effective. Love the use of the zip ties for moving the tether. Also love the water bottle bag. Im gonna need the link to that bad boy!
Are you able to effectively use all 3 steps of the aider during the climb? Im short legged, long torsoed, so Im limited to 2 step aiders. Wish I could get the height for 3!
Also, kudos for using the linemans. Most one stickers ive talked to dont use it, to include me. I might be incorporating that into my set up as well.

Cool points to the videographer!!

I missed the boat on that amsteel aider, looks like I'll have to do some searching and have another arts and crafts night. Good job on the video!

Great video!

Has anyone had a chance to try this with a tree-suit? I really like the idea of having a slightly bigger platform when hunting with winter boots plus not needing to cam over seems so much nicer.

Honored by the shout out and man , what a system! Super light and very effective. Love the use of the zip ties for moving the tether. Also love the water bottle bag. Im gonna need the link to that bad boy!
Are you able to effectively use all 3 steps of the aider during the climb? Im short legged, long torsoed, so Im limited to 2 step aiders. Wish I could get the height for 3!
Also, kudos for using the linemans. Most one stickers ive talked to dont use it, to include me. I might be incorporating that into my set up as well.

Cool points to the videographer!!
Certainly want to give credit where it's due sir. You've been a rockstar since showing up here!

Got the molle water bottle off Amazon. It's a "Gonex". Real surprising how much stuff you can cram in there. 40ft of OpLux, two carabiners, a delta link, zipties, and some other goodies I'll be debuting in a follow on video.

Yes sir. I'm able to use all three steps. I think one advantage to having a three step aider is in the initial leap. You personally might not be able to use but two steps afterward, but I would wager most can reach much higher when standing on the ground (as opposed to only being able to reach as high as you can when seated/tethered). I can place the Solo at about 7ft. It might not be much, but 20 inches is another 1.5ft to me :)

I missed the boat on that amsteel aider, looks like I'll have to do some searching and have another arts and crafts night. Good job on the video!
Ask and ye shall receive!

Good stuff man, I'm gonna steal the stopper knot and put my quick link back on again I think, I had a problem with the weight of the quick link pulling my rope down but I think that does the trick nicely. Also dig the rope assisters of zip ties, did you glue them to prevent them from closing tighter?

Good stuff man, I'm gonna steal the stopper knot and put my quick link back on again I think, I had a problem with the weight of the quick link pulling my rope down but I think that does the trick nicely. Also dig the rope assisters of zip ties, did you glue them to prevent them from closing tighter?
@always89y stopper knot is GOLD. No more frustration with saggy tether... ever.

Absolutely did sir. Add a dab of Gorilla Glue on the spot that you want them to be permanently affixed. Then, pull three more clicks. :cool:

Very cool stuff. This is probably going to change my setup in several ways. I always girth-hitched my tether onto itself to keep it from coming loose when slack is introduced. This kept me using a dedicated tether instead of using my rappel rope as my tether because I was always leery of using a delta-link and having my tether slide while one-sticking. The stopper knot solves this problem. And the zip-tie tether handles are stone simple and effective. Thanks for the video. Sometimes it takes seeing something in action for it to click in for me.

Whats crazy is i've discussed this with 1 friend! 1! We both ordered the stuff to rappell this week. And we even talked about zip ties on the tether. You spying on us? Lol great job man

Whats crazy is i've discussed this with 1 friend! 1! We both ordered the stuff to rappell this week. And we even talked about zip ties on the tether. You spying on us? Lol great job man
I'm the one friend and can vouch for that we've been discussing this method down to the T literally IDENTICAL. I don't know how you hacked one of our accounts Haha (kidding) but great job.

man you are streamlined! i gotta get on your level! Where did you get that tether protector?
Believe the friction saver (tether protector) used to come with Aero Hunter tethers. I'm unsure about whether they still do or not though. Either way, running your rope through a piece of 1 inch webbing should produce similar results.

Great job man. I am looking at climbing with my predator platform and aiders when it is too dark to use DRT. I ordered some 1" webbing to make aiders and seeing your setup with the linemans belt and all the other little details is priceless. I will start practicing soon...
It may even become my preferred climbing method,we will see.

Back