• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A year without buying hunting gear?

Jwiggins762

My last hunting related purchase was December 28th from EWO. I told myself last year that in 2021 I was not going to buy much gear because 2020 i bought a new bow,arrows,broadheads, 3 saddles, 2 sets of sticks, a one stick and all the setup that comes with that, hunting clothes, boots, boot dryer, pop up 28, trail cams, cheap binos, cheap bino harness, etc. Now I'm thinking can I go a full year without buying any hunting gear at all? I know we are only 2 months in and its gonna be tough not to as the deer season gets closer. Anyone else cutting back on gear this year or going cold turkey on not buying gear at all?

My last hunting related purchase was December 28th from EWO. I told myself last year that in 2021 I was not going to buy much gear because 2020 i bought a new bow,arrows,broadheads, 3 saddles, 2 sets of sticks, a one stick and all the setup that comes with that, hunting clothes, boots, boot dryer, pop up 28, trail cams, cheap binos, cheap bino harness, etc. Now I'm thinking can I go a full year without buying any hunting gear at all? I know we are only 2 months in and its gonna be tough not to as the deer season gets closer. Anyone else cutting back on gear this year or going cold turkey on not buying gear at all?
I'm certainly trying but man you see deals on here and its like... .whammo, they got ya. Anyway, I'm really trying to sell what I don't use or don't need anymore and use the funds from those sales to purchase or trade other things I may need or want to change to. But overall, I'm trying not to "dip" in to my own cash so to speak.

In my prime (pre kids, lotta time), I got on a maybe five year hot streak where I was using the same bow, Summit stand, boots, and Gander Mountain outer wear for many years. Hate to admit it but I doubt that I have a personal correlation between gear purchases and success.

@Jwiggins762 Naw man, I’m spending like crazy just trying to get over the withdrawal symptoms and to “stimilate” the economy! There’s no way you can go out for your first sit of the 2021 season, not having spent one cent (except license). That would be downright unpatriotic. I recommend that you start spending immediately to rest re-establish your patriotism. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Bruh, you should lock your keyboard when you step away from you computer so your wife can't send out these crazy posts.

I bought my wife a saddle and a set of sticks and a xl platform that never got used this past season. I told her I wanted to sell it to go towards paying off her car and she didn't like that one bit, she said she wanted to practice with it this off season and hunt with it next season.

I went many years, probably 12-15 without buying anything new. Then I discovered saddle hunting...... :fearscream: :tearsofjoy:

ETA - Now there is hardly a saddle, climbing method, platform, or pack that you could mention that I either haven't owned or currently own. :blush:

Congrats on making it two months.

Man walks into a bar, asks the collective group of dipsomaniacs when they are going to go cold turkey and give up drinking.......

I'm hoping to buy less stuff this year and try scouting more and possibly hunting out of state for more opportunities to hunt. Last year it was the heavy arrow setup, broadheads, EZ V, Zingers, different platforms, sticks. Also made some upgrades to my muzzleloader. So far I picked up a cheap crossbow ($250) and some arrows for that. I bought it moreso for ground hunts. Also got a Stevens 301 .410 turkey gun and some shells. Going to get a cheap red dot for that. But I'm trying to not go too crazy this year. I spent more time messing with my gear last season than actually hunting I think.

I’m thinking if you bought all that stuff just last year you are taking on a huge challenge. Your best bet is to stay off the classifieds and bury your head in a hole until fall.

Haha I haven't been on here much, when I see a video of a product review from @Nutterbuster I have to turn it off before it ends because I start getting the shakes.

Aint gonna happen I’m buying something like every 3 weeks on average for hunting gear and we’re 2 months in. Did this every year year for the past 30. It’s a disease and sickness I tell yah the amount of money I have spent over the years I can’t even imagine

I do pretty well with not buying anything unless I really think it will add something. I don't think I have too much stuff relatively speaking. However, it's enough to cover the ability to setup in about every type of tree where I hunt.

I'm hoping to get more scouting done and practice shooting at height more this year. Only purchases I have planned now are a 3d target and some new sewn eye prusiks since it's time for me to replace my tether.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back