• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anybody gone back to mobile stands?

TNbowhunter

I switched to saddle hunting 3 or 4 seasons ago because I was sick of being stuck in the “wrong” tree due to the limitations of my heavy, clunky climber. I’ll never go back to a climber, but I’ve wondered a bit about switching to a mobile tree stand. With how far mobile stands have come in the last few years in terms of weight reductions, it seems like a much smaller difference in weight and bulk than it used to be. I’ve also realized that I simply prefer sitting with my back to the tree. Any insights y’all can share about your experience switching back? What should I be thinking about here?

I switched to saddle hunting 3 or 4 seasons ago because I was sick of being stuck in the “wrong” tree due to the limitations of my heavy, clunky climber. I’ll never go back to a climber, but I’ve wondered a bit about switching to a mobile tree stand. With how far mobile stands have come in the last few years in terms of weight reductions, it seems like a much smaller difference in weight and bulk than it used to be. I’ve also realized that I simply prefer sitting with my back to the tree. Any insights y’all can share about your experience switching back? What should I be thinking about here?

Lightest hang on I know of is the .5. They spec that at 5.7lbs. Lightest sticks, stock, Tethrd One, four at 4lbs. (Note recall).

An oversized cut down LW Alpha Sit and Climb platform with cam post is about 11lbs. I built one. Imagine what a specifically designed climbing platform can accomplish.

Hang on and sticks will get you on more trees.

Climber platform will get you much higher, per lb weight.

Well I don’t have a ton of experience let me say first off. Mobile hunted the last few years. Started with a climber went to the lone wolf assault 2, then saddle platform. This year I’m gonna try the .5. Haven’t hunted with it but man I’m telling you this thing is sweet. I’m around 25lbs with everything including my saddle. I’m pretty happy with that. I could get it to around 20lbs if I tried. Keep in mind that’s everything I take in, even some additional layers.

Key point for me was no weak side shot. I do need the saddle part though. My neck is jacked up and for whatever reason it helps me.

Another point is the .5 doesn’t really add weight. Some will explain it better than me. Losing the frame pack and switching to the .5 I’m still at around the same to even less weight actually.

Also you could add a pack frame to it and carry meat out on it with id say a good bit of the same comfort a frame pack adds.

I just ordered a .75. Not because I am giving up saddle hunting. Just another tool. Some spots a saddle works best and a few a hang on works best. And don't forget the pac seat.
If you are more comfortable in a Hang on go for it.

I went with a mobile hybrid setup first time out this season. I can see the appeal but it put me more firmly in the saddle camp. Comfort wise the saddle win it. Weight wise my personal saddle setup is a lot lighter but l dont think carrying 20lbs in stand and sticks vs 10lbs in a 1stick setup is a major factor. Carrying 20lbs vs 30lbs on the other hand make a big difference depending on how far you go. Go with what is more comfortable if you are not planning to go 3 miles in. But another tool in the box thinking is not bad either.

I run a hybrid setup with. LWCG .5 and saddle. Saves on weight because you don’t need a pack. It’s not perfect but it’s the best of both worlds in my mind. I can hunt like a tree stand or hunt like a saddle platform
I have 4 Shikar sticks with cable aiders and can get to 20ft easily.

A lonewolf Alpha and bolts is my go to but i still use my saddle a good bit I will also use a climber or hunt on the ground if need be The situation should dictate the correct tool for the job Dont limit yourself

I went with a mobile hybrid setup first time out this season. I can see the appeal but it put me more firmly in the saddle camp. Comfort wise the saddle win it. Weight wise my personal saddle setup is a lot lighter but l dont think carrying 20lbs in stand and sticks vs 10lbs in a 1stick setup is a major factor. Carrying 20lbs vs 30lbs on the other hand make a big difference depending on how far you go. Go with what is more comfortable if you are not planning to go 3 miles in. But another tool in the box thinking is not bad either.
You gonna try this setup again? I’m real curious on your thoughts on it after another hunt or two buddy

Yup, and you should too.

28 years mobile with a stand, 4 with a saddle, now back to a stand exclusively every hunt.

I just didn’t see the advertised benefits of a saddle and can actually get in more trees with my .5 than i can a saddle. Well, maybe i should say i can actually get into, draw a bow, and hunt out of more trees with my .5 than a saddle. A lot of saddle diehards will tell you they can “hunt any tree” to which i have a standing invite to come hunt out of a swamp tamarack with me i’d love to see their “limb management” system. Especially that weirdo Eberhart whose videos show him spending all summer prepping trees with bolts and cutting limbs with a giant saw. So much for “hunting any tree” mobile on unlicensed where you can’t cut limbs??? With a stand just tuck it back in there and crawl in and shoot out of that mess of limbs.

My recommendation would be to ditch the sticks and go with steps or bolts to cut down on bulk. I only use sticks on presets they are cumbersome, unwieldy, and ridiculous with no place in a mobile set up despite what these companies are telling you. My .5 and 11 bolts come in at 8lbs to hunt. If i use my cranford rope steps (for public) it’s 11lbs. Both climbing methods fit in a tiny 200 cubic inch fanny pack i strap to the .5 and than to my chest for climbing. If you need lighter than that you need to start putting some effort into your fitness if you want to hunt.

Attachments

• 26C39B48-626C-4FE3-9A67-99EBE74D0AD1.jpeg
    26C39B48-626C-4FE3-9A67-99EBE74D0AD1.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Also hybrid .5 and saddle, going into year 3 with that setup. Perfect compromise in pretty much all regards for me. Thought about trying a .75 just to see if the improved treestand mode would be worthwhile but haven't pulled the trigger.

I don't know how people hunt ring of steps more than hour or two and I just really enjoy more foot real estate over saddle style platforms.

Yup, and you should too.

28 years mobile with a stand, 4 with a saddle, now back to a stand exclusively every hunt.

I just didn’t see the advertised benefits of a saddle and can actually get in more trees with my .5 than i can a saddle. Well, maybe i should say i can actually get into, draw a bow, and hunt out of more trees with my .5 than a saddle. A lot of saddle diehards will tell you they can “hunt any tree” to which i have a standing invite to come hunt out of a swamp tamarack with me i’d love to see their “limb management” system. Especially that weirdo Eberhart whose videos show him spending all summer prepping trees with bolts and cutting limbs with a giant saw. So much for “hunting any tree” mobile on unlicensed where you can’t cut limbs??? With a stand just tuck it back in there and crawl in and shoot out of that mess of limbs.

My recommendation would be to ditch the sticks and go with steps or bolts to cut down on bulk. I only use sticks on presets they are cumbersome, unwieldy, and ridiculous with no place in a mobile set up despite what these companies are telling you. My .5 and 11 bolts come in at 8lbs to hunt. If i use my cranford rope steps (for public) it’s 11lbs. Both climbing methods fit in a tiny 200 cubic inch fanny pack i strap to the .5 and than to my chest for climbing. If you need lighter than that you need to start putting some effort into your fitness if you want to hunt.
Haha some hard truths in that post for the saddle bros.

Any body put a lumber pad on a treestand waist belt, simular to the one on my Kifaru?

I went with the mobile hybrid with a beast stand,I don't walk the outer edges like a platform but this setup allows me to be setup like I'm on a platform ( what I typically do for rifle) or like a hang on. It's lighter than most platform/carry options. Saying that I still use ROS very often

You're using the wrong sticks then.

Ill admit i caught the saddle bug and even went as far as to sell my hang ons to give the saddle a fair shake. Well i dont think its all its advertised to be up here in maine i think a hang on would probably be the better choice if you only could have one.
First when a deer comes in behind you and ive now had it happen several times, getting turned around and making that acrobat shot is difficult if not impossible. With a stand you at least have the tree. I seem to move a lot in the saddle...not for comfort but just fidgeting. There seemes to be a lot more moving parts to saddle hunting
So for this year im keeping 1 basic saddle set up and ordered a beast stand...no hybrid for me. Also weight did not factor into my decision they both run neck and neck by the time you head into the woods at least with my climb method 3-4 beast minis and a trophyline wingman

What is your go to stick?
Asking because if the Cruzer stick is a dud, I am looking at the Shikar.

LWCG sticks w/ the .5
TNC1s with my other platforms

I ran 3 LWCG compact sticks and aiders last season, but have some doubles now. I may run 2 compact sticks and one double w/ the .5.

The Shikar sticks pack flat just like the LWCG compact sticks. I've seen a picture of someone running them with the .5 and it was slick. I know @KYHunter uses that combo and likes it. I never had Shikar's, primarily due to the reported grease smell. I know some have found them fiddley, but I bet they'd work well enough for me.

I also have a Real Deal Amsteel one stick and it pairs great with the .5.

Y
LWCG sticks w/ the .5
TNC1s with my other platforms

I ran 3 LWCG compact sticks and aiders last season, but have some doubles now. I may run 2 compact sticks and one double w/ the .5.

The Shikar sticks pack flat just like the LWCG compact sticks. I've seen a picture of someone running them with the .5 and it was slick. I know @KYHunter uses that combo and likes it. I never had Shikar's, primarily due to the reported grease smell. I know some have found them fiddley, but I bet they'd work well enough for me.

I also have a Real Deal Amsteel one stick and it pairs great with the .5.
Yes I use 4 17” Shikars and even with cable aider they pack flat. I will try to get a picture tonight. They do require some fiddle-factor to setup but I’ve timed myself and practice and I can take two stick from folded flat to ready to climb in under 60 seconds. So in the grand scheme of things that’s not much time at all. The grease smell took a week or so to go away after painting them and leaving outside

Back