• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carrying ring of steps to hunting location & up tree

KeystoneCowb0y

Outside of in your pack, I am curious how people are carrying their ring of steps set up to their hunting location and up the tree?

I am new to hunting & saddle hunting and am trying to figure out the most efficient way to do everything. As of right now, I am trying to make it so I do not have to take my pack off until I am set up at hunting height, so I'll be carrying sticks with a sling for example.

Thanks in advance!

Outside of in your pack, I am curious how people are carrying their ring of steps set up to their hunting location and up the tree?

I am new to hunting & saddle hunting and am trying to figure out the most efficient way to do everything. As of right now, I am trying to make it so I do not have to take my pack off until I am set up at hunting height, so I'll be carrying sticks with a sling for example.

Thanks in advance!

Something like this would work

or a chest harness or belt pack. I like the look of the one's from Hill People Gear.

Something like this would work

or a chest harness or belt pack. I like the look of the one's from Hill People Gear.

Thank you! I bought the Treehopper steps and strap and was also thinking I could tie them around my waist like a belt, but I feel like that might be awkward lol.

Thank you! I bought the Treehopper steps and strap and was also thinking I could tie them around my waist like a belt, but I feel like that might be awkward lol.

if you can manage sag

Last season I packed the ROS strapped to the side of 4 Lone Wolf sticks. 7 Pioneer steps from Bullman Outdoors on an EWO (Eastern Woods Outdoors) OCB (over cam buckle) fit perfectly and cinched down tight. At the base of the tree, I would just thread the strap on the steps through a saddle loop and haul it up that way. I don't use any pouches on my saddle. I use a 2 panel Recon sling.

This upcoming season I plan to do the majority of my hunting using 2TC (Two tether climbing) and forgo the weight and bulk of the sticks.

Attachments

• ROS on sticks.jpg
    ROS on sticks.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 79
My go in an old trophyline pouch on the back of my phantom. In the top view you can see my webbing tether and linesman’s rope in the side pouches. The quality of the drawstring and zippers are not great but when hunting from a ros it just works.
FFB1A0E4-8823-4684-B3E6-370B969070F3.jpegC5FD0843-D80D-4E23-99CD-2D24CC684B8E.jpeg

Thanks in advance!
This may be dependent on the type of steps you’re using as well. What steps are you using?

This may be dependent on the type of steps you’re using as well. What steps are you using?

And what type of sticks as well.

For example, a satchel or chest harness make a lot of sense if using cam buckles for sticks. Stows all that stuff and just pull the items out as you go.

Something like Tethrd One sticks or Muddy Pros, where the rope is attached, those may be overkill and something like a gear tie to the saddle or the last stick is more streamlined. Even a cargo pocket or jacket pocket is an option.

I have a gear strap on my platform that helps when I hang it in the tree (hang it to the tether). I also run a ring of steps around the back of the platform slightly higher then the platform. I bundle the ros and secure it with the gear strap and hang the platform on my saddle as I climb up so I don't have to reach into the pack when I get to the height I want. I carry it in and out of the woods in my pack

Other than packs and pouches I experimented with securing them like a chest bandolier ala Rambo style. I’ve also just slung them around my waste like a belt.

I’ll be using the Treehopper steps
Last season I packed the ROS strapped to the side of 4 Lone Wolf sticks. 7 Pioneer steps from Bullman Outdoors on an EWO (Eastern Woods Outdoors) OCB (over cam buckle) fit perfectly and cinched down tight. At the base of the tree, I would just thread the strap on the steps through a saddle loop and haul it up that way. I don't use any pouches on my saddle. I use a 2 panel Recon sling.

This upcoming season I plan to do the majority of my hunting using 2TC (Two tether climbing) and forgo the weight and bulk of the sticks.

I appreciate that! How were you carrying the sticks and ROS together?

I’ll be using the Treehopper steps

I appreciate that! How were you carrying the sticks and ROS together?
And what type of sticks as well.

For example, a satchel or chest harness make a lot of sense if using cam buckles for sticks. Stows all that stuff and just pull the items out as you go.

Something like Tethrd One sticks or Muddy Pros, where the rope is attached, those may be overkill and something like a gear tie to the saddle or the last stick is more streamlined. Even a cargo pocket or jacket pocket is an option.

@Plebe - I’ll be using the Treehopper steps with OCB straps and Tethrd Skeltors for my sticks. Based on that what would you recommend?

Back