• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Flintridge09

So I finally ordered my first saddle last week and waiting anxiously on its arrival but in the meantime I've been working on making one of my Hawk Helium stick sets into the shorter 2 step version. My dilemma is what method to use for attaching the steps to to the tree. I had planned to use the versa buttons with the versa lite straps but the straps are not available at this time. I also thought about using the Ronstan cleats from West Marine but concerned about the weight it will add and the price but willing to go that route if its worth the ease of use. I'm obviously trying to keep the weight down and make them as simple as possible to use. The other methods is the normal rope mod or the Amsteel daisy chain with versa buttons.

So for those of you that have done the mod, what method did you go with and would you change or plan to change? Any suggestions is appreciated.

I was lucky enuff to get some versa straps for my short DIY sticks. But for my short heliums, I use 3/8 amsteel on a diy (3/8 spacer) versa button. I tried the LW versa button... Had to double wrap the amsteel and the versa strap was tough to remove. Got pics if you want to see. The amsteel is easy to splice (g2 video) and seems to work great. I back spliced the tag end and inserted a bungee keeper. Lemme know if you want pics

I was lucky enuff to get some versa straps for my short DIY sticks. But for my short heliums, I use 3/8 amsteel on a diy (3/8 spacer) versa button. I tried the LW versa button... Had to double wrap the amsteel and the versa strap was tough to remove. Got pics if you want to see. The amsteel is easy to splice (g2 video) and seems to work great. I back spliced the tag end and inserted a bungee keeper. Lemme know if you want pics

Yes, please share the pics. I've looked into doing the DIY buttons and have seen the video by Greg so I might go that route. Thanks for the help.

Yes, please share the pics. I've looked into doing the DIY buttons and have seen the video by Greg so I might go that route. Thanks for the help.
Ok, I must've switched the buttons. Heliums have Doublesteps versa button with versa strap. DIY's have DIY versa and amsteel. Same same, tho.
I went off of Garrett's rope mod video for the DIY buttons. I guess I switched the heliums to DanO's versa button and versa straps. The diy sticks have the 3/8 amsteel with 3/8 spacer. I ordered steel spacers but I don't see any reason the nylon wouldn't work

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190514-193233.png
    Screenshot_20190514-193233.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20190514-193257.png
    Screenshot_20190514-193257.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
Ok, I must've switched the buttons. Heliums have Doublesteps versa button with versa strap. DIY's have DIY versa and amsteel. Same same, tho.

I went off of Garrett's rope mod video for the DIY buttons. I guess I switched the heliums to DanO's versa button and versa straps. The diy sticks have the 3/8 amsteel with 3/8 spacer. I ordered steel spacers but I don't see any reason the nylon wouldn't work

Thanks for the pics. I like the Doublestep buttons with either Amstell or maybe their webbing straps. Maybe the versa straps will reappear.

Thanks for the pics. I like the Doublestep buttons with either Amstell or maybe their webbing straps. Maybe the versa straps will reappear.
Anything from doublesteps is good!! I think you could ask these guys about an amsteel daisy chain. Pretty sure it's the same technique as the straps. We probably wore Carl out ordering the straps!! Lol

Back