• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Nondestructive JX3 harness mod (no sewing required!!)

Hardly_Hangin

TLDR, how to hit the "nondestructivley modifying JX3" easy button for improved load carrying comfort. Insert generic saftey disclosure about modifying gear.

From the outstart, ill give full inspirational credit to @kyler1945 and his meat hauling JX3 modifications, thanks for all your work promoting the JX3 and educating. I wanted to do kyler's mods years ago, but was hesitant to buy nice stuff to cut up and couldnt fully wrap my head around it anyway, so i abandoned it (and saddle/treestand hunting altogether tbh, hunted from the ground exclusively last year) Fast forward 2 seasons to now and recently I had a flash of inspiration to revisit the idea. Mine is a gen 2 for reference.

@jbogg @splatek @Owl74

This project became exponentially less daunting when I realized the JX3 is built on a standardish molle rucksack frame, and would accept a standard molle harness. I picked up a molle ii rucksack on ebay for $50ish (even found one in woodland camo!), and proceeded to FrankenFrame this bad boy.

1) remove mesh backing from JX3. This can be done without cutting the mesh, but its really tight and took me a while to remove it with pliers (grab it and growl). You could do it much faster if you cut it but i wanted to preserve the mesh in case i drop back to punt. Remove the screws holding it onto the frame and shimmy it up bit by bit all the way to the top and off. This is the hardest part about the mod, and honestly im not certain i could get the mesh back on if i wanted to.

2) remove JX3 waist belt by unscrewing from frame and the shoulder straps by unthreading the buckles out of the molle holes. This is obvious how to do when youre looking at it, i didnt get a good picture of these steps. Easy.

3) swap molle ii frame harness over to JX3. There are a bajillion youtube videos on assembling molle ii rucksack frames/harnesses so i wont detail that part. Easy.

4) attach load lifter straps to bunny ears on JX3 and any other meat sack sincher straps on the back of the frame. I sewed mine from spare webbing i had laying around and robbed some kifaru buckles from a replacement kit, but JX3 sells these and im sure you could find it or a substitute on ebay or an army surplus store. Easy, after i relearned how to use my sewing machine.

Pros:
-it was SO EASY cant beleive i didnt think if this sooner, its a no brainer.
-I could have just bought the harness ala carte, but it was actually cheaper to buy an entire rucksack assembled and now i have a spare molle ii frame and a ruck bag i can repurpose.
-I walked a half mile loop around the neighborhood with the 20lb sack of birdseed and BUDDY this is nice. Not as nice as my kifaru but leaps and bounds better than a stock JX3. Need to fine tune my harness height but over all I'm well pleased.
-I can feel the kidney belt doing its job and transferring weight to my hips. I can feel the shoulder harness not cutting into my collar bone. I can feel the stock JX3 frame bunny ear load lifters pulling the load closer to my back.
-I can repurpose the old JX3 waist belt and leg loops for an ultralight minimalist high speed low drag preset hanging harness.
-additional load lifters can be added in the future if needed, but im going to wait a while.

Cons:
-Ive yet to sit in a tree but i did a vertical hang in my basement. Removing the mesh did reduce the sitting comfort level by ~10-20٪ ish givertake. Still unequivocally better than a soft saddle, and seemingly worth the increased hauling comfort.
-when sitting, the shoulder straps are not as easy to take off and fold behind you.
-i might be able to utilize dano's battle belt lineman loops, but otherwise i dont have lineman loops any more. Nonissue for me, but some might call it a con.
-no more leg loops (pro?) Nonissue for me, but some might call it a con.
-my rucksack was bought used so the harness kinda smells funny and the buckles are sticky (not sticky icky just not smooth to operate)

The JX3 is on the left, and my molle ii ebay frame on the right.
Before
20231211_175933.jpg

After
20231211_185940.jpg

Pic of bag of 20lb bag of bird seed lashed stashed and sandwiched20231212_210851.jpg
Pic of just birdseed lashed with the seat down

20231212_210922.jpg
Pic of lashing straps without load
20231212_211316.jpg
Overall front close up
20231212_211656.jpg

Looks great. Can’t wait to complete my mod. My only concern would be doing away with the leg straps. They definitely give me an added sense of security.

Only reasons I didn’t use standard mil issue harness and belt: they’re not as comfortable as the exo. They’re not as light as the exo.

They’re bullet proof and cheap though.

The gen 1 frame is indeed the standard mil issue molle frame.

To ease in getting mesh on and off, use a woodworking clamp to compress the frame. Note that it will crack if you get too aggressive. Tiny adjustments till you can slide the mesh.

Speaking of, molle frames are cheap and somewhat available still. If you break one(I’ve broken 2), they’re cheap and easy to swap in. You can rivet as originally designed. I used stainless bolts and fender washers.

Your modification here is why I prefer the gen 1 seat back frame. Cheap, light, known commodity. The new back frame is a custom pour, has more features for the crowd john is targeting, heavier, tougher, etc. it just makes no sense for me.

Nice work! It truly doubles the practicality of the JX3. I’m not sure it makes sense for me to hunt with anything else in a tree at this point. Just can’t make it make sense. I’m keeping my hangon because it’s flat and easily stored in closet. But I’m not sure why. Two seasons now it hasn’t been used.

I just completed my mod as well. Between the padded hip belt, and the load lifters the increase in comfort while carrying is significant. I put 40 pounds in it this morning and spent an hour on the treadmill. Honestly, it did not feel any different than my regular meat pack. I’m often 45 minutes to an hour hike from my truck, so the ability to pack all the meat out in one trip is very appealing. Hiking an hour out just to retrieve my meat pack, and then all the way back in is rough. Wish I had completed this modification sooner. The second picture shows my 25-year-old tree lounge saddlebag that nests in between my seat, and JX 3 Molle frame when carrying.

IMG_8938.jpegIMG_8939.jpeg

Back