• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Eckert_Hunter18

Does anyone run oplux rope with a ropeman 1. If so God does it do for you, I know its outside of the specs of the ropeman but I've heard mixed views on that matter. Trying to get more knowledge on the matter before makeing a decision

to expand a bit on what @Bigterp is saying,
will it work? probably.
A rm1 is mechanical device, and mechanical devices can fail. you increase your chances of something failing by going outside of the specifications set forth by the manufacturer. These are risks you should know about before adding any additional risks, and while others may have used it without issues, it is ultimately up to you to decide the level of risk you are willing to accept.

Have not tried it yet...but I hate the RM 2.
I keep saying I am going to run a Ropeman 1 with my Oplux. I am a risktaker. I should say measured risks taker
. But I'm not sure when I am 25' up a tree and that dang ropeman is right in front of my nose...I may end up getting a chill down my spine and slapping a prussic on it.
A larger biner could help ease my mind.

So, how does a R1 "know" the diameter of the rope? The rope gets pinched in between the cam and the carabiner, that's how it works. So if you use a carabiner that's "X"mm fatter, then doesn't the extra carabiner width essentially translate to a fatter rope?

I just measured 2 different carabiners that I've used on my R1. One measures .385" and the other measures .470".
Excuse my weak math skills but doesnt that equal over 2 mm difference? Wouldnt the .470 carabiner make the R1 "think" the rope was 2mm fatter?

I just measured 2 different carabiners that I've used on my R1. One measures .385" and the other measures .470".
Excuse my weak math skills but doesnt that equal over 2 mm difference? Wouldnt the .470 carabiner make the R1 "think" the rope was 2mm fatter?
I just bought a RM1 and ordered oplux, when I got the RM1 in today I read the 10mm minimal rating on the RM1. I am concerned because although the larger diameter carabiner will take up the space in 1 direction, rope is malleable and the larger diameter carabiner may not be enough to make up for the lack of diameter on the sides of the RM1 where the rope rides in the channel that the carabiner clips in. Diameter of the channel does not tighten on the sides of the rope despite the larger carabiner.

I ran this experiment just the other day. Oplux squishes too flat for my taste. Especially if used on a tether under constant weight. It also leaves too much room side to side. Probably won’t happen but my fear is the rope will slide too far to one direction and bypass the teeth.

Now, that being said, I’m ok using it on my lineman’s belt. Irrational to be ok with one and not the other but it’s just my choice

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright well next question, besides the oplux rope what would be the next lightest rope with a high strength rating that would possibly work better with the ropeman1. My goal was to keep using the ropeman 1 but try to find a lighter rope that would pair with it well.

Back