• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ratchet straps are not the devil

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Since buying my squirrel steps last winter I've been messing with them from time to time trying to get them just right. There are many great things to say about squirrel steps and the main reason I bought them was their excellent packability. Everything negative I am about to say is just my opinion so I'm not trying to start a war with the squirrel step and ocb strap loyalists. Just giving my 2 cents on my experiences with the steps. After buying the steps and learning how to use an ocb strap I just couldn't get the steps acceptably tight. The steps would roll, the strap wouldn't stay tight, seemed like no matter how tight I got the strap everything would ease its way loose after setting them or applying pressure. You could forget all together about putting them on a pine tree because that was a joke. So I blamed it on my ability to use an ocb strap and kept practicing. For a while now, I've been able to get that ocb so tight I dang near burst a blood vessel in my head from the amount of torque I get on that buckle. While it is better than before it's just not right. I believe that there are two issues causing this which are the slim design of the squirrel steps and the ocb strap power being limited to the individual and or handle being used. Again not trying to start a war but those who say they can get an ocb every bit as tight as a ratchet strap is an exaggeration at best. There's no way. Anyway, I never thought I would use a ratchet in the deer woods...ever....but I wanted to see if that would fix the problem. So I girth hitched an XOP strap onto a standard small ratchet buckle, added the steps, and went to town and these steps are ROCK SOLID. Being more than satisfied with the results I began playing with the ratchet and can easily and effectively utilize the ratchet strap with almost zero noise. It has changed the capability of the steps dramatically for me and I wanted to post this in case anyone else was having the same issues. Don't give up on your squirrel steps. They are awesome. If an ocb works for you that's great. If not give the ol ratchet a try and learn how to use it silently and your in buisness.

Just started messing with the OCB strap. Seems to work fine with ameristeps. I picked up some API steps to see what they were about and they stink on the OCB. maybe they just stink in general don’t know but will give em a shot with a ratchet strap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having the OCB where it folds away from you makes it easier. That’s something I had over looked. I can’t get it ratchet tight either but it’s good enough. The only reason I haven’t went to a ratchet is that it takes up too much room on the strap. And that sucks on small trees.

I could never get an ocb good enough for vs ring either. The only time I use one is if I'm using my sticks as a platform base. Then I'll put 1 Ameristep on each side of the stick on an ocb. That seems to work pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Having the OCB where it folds away from you makes it easier. That’s something I had over looked. I can’t get it ratchet tight either but it’s good enough. The only reason I haven’t went to a ratchet is that it takes up too much room on the strap. And that sucks on small trees.

You can get ratchets that are really small. The one I am using isn't much bigger than an ocb.

Ratchets definitely aren't the devil. If you've got a ratchet/strap combo that's working for you, awesome!

I do maintain that I can get an OCB as tight as a ratchet though. :)

Ratchets definitely aren't the devil. If you've got a ratchet/strap combo that's working for you, awesome!

I do maintain that I can get an OCB as tight as a ratchet though. :)

@Nutterbuster must be eating his wheaties...
My only complaint with a ratchet is the click, click, click. Hard to keep silent near bedding. I haven’t ever experimented with a ring of steps, so it isn’t first hand experience in a hunting situation. Just never came across a silent ratchet strap in the dozens and dozens I’ve worn through for tying stuff down.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

If a ratchet strap works for you, stick with it. Like everything else in saddle hunting its individual.

Nick does a great job setting up his ROS in this video. The only way I do it different is is I do everything with my right hand. After I've hooked the hook on to the OCB I pull the strap as tight as I can with my right hand, give the buckle a little twist to loosen it up just enough so I can cam it over, take the tag end of the strap and pull it towards the handle and cam over. I think I developed this because if I didn't keep the strap with the handle sometimes it would get caught in the cammed over section of the buckle and I was worried it could cause it to open up.

I can only say Duh been telling yall for years.
if you want the ocb tight slip a cheater over the handle and cam away, that little short handle wont give you the leverage you need

I think I get an ocb pretty tight. The only ratchet I have tried were the cheap ones. I bent more than one in in just a few hunts. They were bending either on the uneven bark of the tree or when it was sliding down the tree a little when I stepped all the way around. I’ve got some old api steps to try this year. I’m not sure how tight I will get them with the ocb but ameristeps were easy to get tight enough. As far as noise they can be as quiet as an ocb but it can be a tedious process.

My only complaint with a ratchet is the click, click, click. Hard to keep silent near bedding. I haven’t ever experimented with a ring of steps, so it isn’t first hand experience in a hunting situation. Just never came across a silent ratchet strap in the dozens and dozens I’ve worn through for tying stuff down.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Easy to keep quiet. I make more noise stepping on dry leaves than a ratchet strap. Noise isn’t the concern for me.

The only way I do it different is is I do everything with my right hand. After I've hooked the hook on to the OCB I pull the strap as tight as I can with my right hand, give the buckle a little twist to loosen it up just enough so I can cam it over, take the tag end of the strap and pull it towards the handle and cam over. I think I developed this because if I didn't keep the strap with the handle sometimes it would get caught in the cammed over section of the buckle and I was worried it could cause it to open up.

You do everything with your right hand? I wish I had 3 hands sometimes. This is starting to sound like Huck putting on spurs at eye level! LMAO

-IkemanTx

I've never came across a silent ratchet strap either. It's on the user to operate it silently. You can pull the lock mechanism away as it rotates and it makes no noise. For all the die hard ocb buckle guys keep doing your thing. I wanted to post this for the guys like me who want another option that works great.

Back