• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ROS that hold

Redoak47*

I have some squirrel steps, i have used both the OCB and ratchet strap with them. They do not hold tight and always tilt. Has anyone tried to maybe put a screw through the base of one so it digs into the tree? And where is a good vid on just using a ROS with no platform, i can not get comfy.TIA

a screw wont help the side to side movement. 1” are better than the 3/4” ones As far as stability is concerne. the Treehopper are solid but are a bit bulky and the up angle is a little to steep for my liking.

my preference for steps is 1” squirrel steps.

Does the tilting cause discomfort or give you concern about stability?
I know mine sometimes have a slight amount of movement which varies with the diameter of the tree along with the type of bark but that doesn't cause me any discomfort and it's never hindered my movement on them or steadying myself for a shot.

I’m wondering the same thing! I also have noticed my ROS are loud since they don’t bite good enough. Instead of just one noise from camming your platform. Every time I would change steps it would slightly move I’d get tree bark noise.

I’m wondering the same thing! I also have noticed my ROS are loud since they don’t bite good enough. Instead of just one noise from camming your platform. Every time I would change steps it would slightly move I’d get tree bark noise.
Wrapping them in vet tape solves that

The minor tilting isn't unusual and if you think about it the step is essentially adjusting to meet a point of equilibrium with your foot pressure. If it bothers you too much run the steps in pairs touching each other increasing their surface area on your foot and the tree which should reduce that movement. I think if you give yourself some acclimation time to adjust it won't bother you. If the step moves and doesn't make noise I'm good. Not sure what kind of overcam strap you have but the ones from EWO cam over tight and don't allow hardly any movement.

I’ve got the old ameristeps. They are the most stable I have used but also pack the bulkiest. I’ve got squirrel steps and api sky hooks also. My go to set is the sky hooks on an ocb. A little movement is ok and you want even notice it once you spend some time on them.

I also use the old ameristeps, typically there is very little movement. The other thing I do is I space two of them a couple inches apart on each side of the tree, that allows me to put either my heel or arch on the near step and the front pad of my foot on the other. I find that this increases comfort and stability for me.

David

First season on 5 Treehopper steps.
I’ll second placing 2 next to each other to increase surface area.
They are solid with EWO OCB with buckle.
The treehopper buckle is even more stable but
I am prone to windchiming the steps setting this ocb up. Bulk is the downside w 5.
I’m 160# and prob influences how stable they are.
I’m a thin build and tend to move more on ROS then platform , I’ve had does behind me catch movement twice this year adjusting my position.
I find using a small platform with ROS cuts down my movement.
Plan to practice more with ROS w/o platform.

more info than you want here:

Last edited:
Bolts hold pretty well.
Yes if your bolts give from standard ros usage you should get out of that tree immediately.
I predrilled some ros on presets. I found that I often wound up taking a strap on ros anyway because as theseason progresses and leaves got thinner I wanted to be a little higher in the tree.

I am using squirrel steps and have not had a big issue with the steps moving.
I climb with 10 or 12 Treehopper steps.

I do carry one stick with a double step on top.
The steps are about 4" higher then my double step.
I place the heal of my foot on the double steps and the ball of my foot on a squirrel step.
Helps with size 14 boots.

Attachments

• Ring of Steps-1.jpg
    Ring of Steps-1.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 59
What GeoFish has shown is exactly what I have except I have the mini platform as top step. I also alternately use Rapid Rails and rest heels on those and balls of foot on the closest two steps on either side of the rails.

What kind of trees are you using squirrel steps on ? I use the ocb and have not had them slide yet if they are properly tightened. Are you using the strap Dano sells ? I tried some on my strap that came with my OOAL scout and they get some give but not much. But could be weight related to. I way a whopping 182 so what holds me could possibly slip for someone heavier.

I really like my Ameristeps and w/Dano's strap and buckle they never move at all, unless you like to climb beech or sycamore trees...

Also, that Treehopper OCB will get them super tight
Anyone know where to buy one of the large OCBs that you can get from Mark? I've searched online, but I haven't been able to find a large one.

Back