• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle hunt with your tree stand harness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter260

If you already have a harness from your tree stand days, you can get started saddle hunting for about $5. I think this is about as safe and comfortable as you can get saddle hunting, but let me know what you all think.

This is how I hunted the first couple of sits this season after I got my Predator platform but before my Kite arrived. Except I used a HSS X1 harness, a Muddy safe line as my tether, and a 1” piece of webbing deer drag as my bridge (because it had a sewn loop at both ends). Safe? Probably less so than yours. But it still beat a climber.

Edit: I did not use a fleece saddle though. Didn’t think about that...

Last edited:
This is how I hunted the first couple of sits this season after I got my Predator platform but before my Kite arrived. Except I used a HSS X1 harness, a Muddy safe line as my tether, and a 1” piece of webbing deer drag as my bridge (because it had a sewn loop at both ends). Safe? Probably less so than yours. But it still beat a climber.
Was your muddy safe line the 30ft line that they sell as like a life line thing?

It’s for sure an idea
But man....those ropes look frayed
It will probably work but in terms of feeling safe and reliable u don’t want to become responsible for ideas that u give that get executed to 40 or 60% capacity
We want to see the best in everyone but in the end it’s best to hunt at height from something that is proven and tested.
This is great for practicing from 5 feet off the ground, but please guys take extra precaution. We have to draw the line somewhere between saving money and safety and find a clean medium.

I’m not dissing ur video
U actually did pretty well for ur first, but there’s no way u would get a lot of guys up in the tree in what ur wearing.
If u can pay $150 for a hang on u can afford a trophy line or something.

If u feel comfortable in it then more power to u and ur abilities man
Welcome to the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s for sure an idea
But man....those ropes look frayed
It will probably work but in terms of feeling safe and reliable u don’t want to become responsible for ideas that u give that get executed to 40 or 60% capacity
We want to see the best in everyone but in the end it’s best to hunt at height from something that is proven and tested.
This is great for practicing from 5 feet off the ground, but please guys take extra precaution. We have to draw the line somewhere between saving money and safety and find a clean medium.

I’m not dissing ur video
U actually did pretty well for ur first, but there’s no way u would get a lot of guys up in the tree in what ur wearing.
If u can pay $150 for a hang on u can afford a trophy line or something.

If u feel comfortable in it then more power to u and ur abilities man
Welcome to the game

What ropes are frayed?? The linesman’s is 2 years old and both the amsteel and my tether are less than 6 months old. I’m hooked up with a summit pro harness, and everything that’s life supporting is rated.

What ropes are frayed?? The linesman’s is 2 years old and both the amsteel and my tether are less than 6 months old. I’m hooked up with a summit pro harness, and everything that’s life supporting is rated.

Right after u hook the bridge into the biner that amsteel looks pretty fuzzy?
And connecting twine between prussik tender on tether biner ?

That’s brand new amsteel, and it’s a piece of paracord tying a Prusik tender to my carabiner. I don’t know how the knot end of that being frayed would make this setup unsafe at all. I don’t understand why sitting in a stand with a safety harness on and standing on a platform with the same safety harness on would be any different in terms of safety.

That’s brand new amsteel, and it’s a piece of paracord tying a Prusik tender to my carabiner. I don’t know how the knot end of that being frayed would make this setup unsafe at all. I don’t understand why sitting in a stand with a safety harness on and standing on a platform with the same safety harness on would be any different in terms of safety.

The amsteel bridge looks fuzzy after u hook into tether biner
If it’s not then maybe it’s the video
Just looking out is all
U will pick up more and understand the longer u are here
Good luck man

A buddy of mine has had his mantis since it was released

His amsteel bridge does not look anything like ur almost new bridge
Not sure what ur doing to it but u will likely find plenty of bits and pieces around here
Be safe !Adjustments.jpgAdjustments.jpg

thank you for sharing,
that's the way I have been hunting out of my sitdrag for years,
Are you sure your linesman loops are fall rated?

Never thought about that. Guess I just assumed it would work. Probably falls into that “not the intended purpose” category those lawyers talk about.

thank you for sharing,
that's the way I have been hunting out of my sitdrag for years,
Are you sure your linesman loops are fall rated?
I would think that the loops for a linesman’s belt on a harness made for hunting by summit (who’s been around way longer than tethrd) would probably be good to go.

I would think that the loops for a linesman’s belt on a harness made for hunting by summit (who’s been around way longer than tethrd) would probably be good to go.

I wouldn’t bet my life on something just because it’s been around longer than Tethrd to save my life. Hell I have shoes older than Tethrd but I wouldn’t expect them to save my life hanging in a tree.
It’s my understanding that lineman loops are not meant for fall arrest. I could be wrong.
Not saying it wouldn’t work. I have been using the harness that comes with the summit 180 climber with my sitdrag for years. I was just trying to provoke a little thought. Since a video was made claiming it was the safest way to hunt a tree.
Not trying to start an argument

See you in a tree, Ricky

Last edited:
Never thought about that. Guess I just assumed it would work. Probably falls into that “not the intended purpose” category those lawyers talk about.

That’s all I was trying to do provoke a little thought. Like I said I have been hunting very similar for a long time. But understand the risk. Heck I stopped backing up the sitdrag at all but I don’t recommend it.

See you in a tree, Ricky

I wouldn’t bet my life on something just because it’s been around longer than Tethrd to save my life. Hell I have shoes older than Tethrd but I would expect them to save my life hanging in a tree.
It’s my understanding that lineman loops are not meant for fall arrest. I could be wrong.
Not saying it wouldn’t work. I have been using the harness that comes with the summit 180 climber with my sitdrag for years. I was just trying to provoke a little thought. Since a video was made claiming it was the safest way to hunt a tree.
Not trying to start an argument

See you in a tree, Ricky

I agree with this
These youngsters need to open their minds a little
It’s amazing what he will learn in the next 10 years
I am not sure the linesman loops are fall rated either, but then again I think we call this
Natural selection

Maybe I’m over looking something in the video if so I’m sorry. So once you hook the tether to your DIY saddle. You then let slack out of your linemen’s rope until your body weight is held by the DIY saddle.
Then you unhook the linemen’s rope carabiner from the harness and feed that back around the tree so it can be hooked back into the linemen’s belt loop and then into tether to become a second bridge .
My question is what if your platform where to malfunction before you got the harness bridge reconnected ? Would your DIY saddle support you if so why do you need the harness?
To me it looks like you need another bridge rope to secure the safety harness bridge before you let slack into linemen’s belt once on the platform.
Maybe I over looked a key point but I wouldn’t trust my life to a fleece saddle at no point 20’ up a tree.

Maybe I’m over looking something in the video if so I’m sorry. So once you hook the tether to your DIY saddle. You then let slack out of your linemen’s rope until your body weight is held by the DIY saddle.
Then you unhook the linemen’s rope carabiner from the harness and feed that back around the tree so it can be hooked back into the linemen’s belt loop and then into tether to become a second bridge .
My question is what if your platform where to malfunction before you got the harness bridge reconnected ? Would your DIY saddle support you if so why do you need the harness?
To me it looks like you need another bridge rope to secure the safety harness bridge before you let slack into linemen’s belt once on the platform.
Maybe I over looked a key point but I wouldn’t trust my life to a fleece saddle at no point 20’ up a tree.

Hmmm more thought provoking! Lol
Sounds like a second linesman is in order.

See you in a tree, Ricky

I'm new to saddle hunting as a lot of people here are. Like you said, its the newest trend in the hunting world and after Christmas everyone is wanting to get into it (guilty myself). The biggest take away I got from this personally is the $0.30 tender. That saves a ton of money in comparison to the rope ascender from REI. It makes the prusik knot way easier to use from what I can see and doesn't play a safety factor whatsoever. Thank you for the video!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back