• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smoked…

Jammintree

SH Member
All the TV and YouTube hunters say: I just smoked that buck! And I’ve been wondering: where did this come from and when did this enter hunting language? It’s become a universal saying and I’m curious about the etymology. Any ideas?

After 911, W always said “we’re gonna smoke em out” which I think he picked up from “Bonanza.” But I have no idea if it’s actually related.

My guess is the term smoked goes back to blackpowder days when you fired a shot you smoked up the area. Just a guess. Smokin them out, I believe, comes from the idea that if someone is hiding in a house, or cave, that you send smoke in to force them out. Blocking the chimney was used a lot in old westerns to force the occupants out of the cabin.

I think its from war era TV that got adopted by modern military. I know I have heard of the term being used during the military before getting into hunting. The snipers guy used to tell stories that the only way you know if you got them was the puff of sand dust that get kick up when they fall, like a puff of smoke was there instead of your target. This was related by your spotter with the bino, "You smoked him".

But popular TV or trend also to make weird things up. Like how in racing, everyone is 'attacking' a corner....

I dont know where the terms came from but every TV "Hunter" you see shoot a buck anywhere from the ear to the ham, SMOKED HIM. I've seen tv shots that I would be sick about and they are whooping it up. I would like to see more respect for the animal myself. Another thing is HE'S DOWN. The first thing after the shot, HE'S DOWN, and I just watched him on the tv run 200 yds and go outta sight.

I dont know where the terms came from but every TV "Hunter" you see shoot a buck anywhere from the ear to the ham, SMOKED HIM. I've seen tv shots that I would be sick about and they are whooping it up. I would like to see more respect for the animal myself. Another thing is HE'S DOWN. The first thing after the shot, HE'S DOWN, and I just watched him on the tv run 200 yds and go outta sight.
That's one of my pet peeves too. If you smoked him then you smoked him but don't be saying that a gut shot with 10 inches of penetration is "Smoked Him" LOSER!

Everyone is just copying what they see on social media. I even hear the "smoked him" comments on some of the old series I had back in pre-streaming days, when it was all on real TV or VHS tapes. But it wasn't on every successful hunt like it is now. One of the regulars on the Monster Bucks series liked to use that phrase.

On a related note, when did weather systems start to "slam" the landscape. It's always a major winter storm "slams" the northeast, or deadly thunderstorms "slam" Alabama.

Im in your camp: celebrating is certainly natural but the TV hunters have gone the way of the touchdown dance; it’s disrespectful, particularly when done before the outcome has been determined.

“Smoked” and “Running” are two pet peeves of mine. Not sure where smoked started but I’m sure it’s from TV somewhere. Nobody uses equipment anymore. Seems like I have run with everything I own.
I’m done…

Preach. Nobody wears or uses anything anymore. Most are using these terms to just follow a crowd, trend and fit in with a group with which they want to be associated. If you know the lingo then you must, of course, be in the club. Skaters, skiers, off shore guys, pro athletes etc, you name it. Can’t throw a pass well anymore in football. You have to “really spin it”. It’s no different than everything being “super” these days. Just another lazy adjective used to over inflate what is just a normal behavior or occurrence. So by default everything becomes super thereby rendering nothing super. I guess very, extremely and incredibly just aren’t good enough to describe an elevated level anymore.

But I’m an old geezer so I bite my tongue most times so I don’t get boomered.

I did a post on this a while ago because I was tired of hearing it. Now it’s “Let’s go!”
Yeah I hear this all the time. Not sure if it came from an athlete, influencer or what, but I'm always like "where we going?" I see a lot of stupid trends and sayings coming from Fortnite and video games. I can't go anywhere without seeing some kid flossing or doing some other Fortnite dance.

So IMHO “smoked”, and “run” are just buzz words. I’m in the construction business, and deal with a lot of big corporations, and have sat in quite a few bs meeting during my career. What I’ve learned from the use of buzzwords, is the people who use them have very little knowledge of what they are talking about…simple enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumpy old man stuff, here for it.

Smoked, meh. If you truly smoked him, fine. If your shot is at all marginal, you didn't smoke it. Smoking is in the 12 ring. Just get your facts straight. I think you can have a proper degree of reverence for killing something and still celebrate the act of killing it, to a degree. Overarchingly, I personally don't feel that broadcasting certain things in hunting is in the best interest of our collective hunting culture, but that's really a different discussion.

Running stuff that doesn't run, just no. I think that one comes from the tacticool crowd. Quit being a poser and run your fake ass down to the recruitment office.

Back