• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Splurged on an elite omnia today

thedutchtouch

SH Member
Happy birthday to me! I finally drove up to Lancaster (holy moly, somewhat intimidating the amount of variety and hands on support/experts etc they have there compared to what I'm used to locally) and shot a few bows, and (guessing not much surprise here) the elite omnia, bowtech ss34 and a Mathews bow were top 3 for me. I ended up buying the omnia (no photos yet but it's a standard bare bow omnia in green riser, I'm meeting my parents at a local bar to pick up their dog and dogsit for a few weeks so photos later when I'm home or after I get it accesorized). Main deciding factor was that it felt a bit lighter (well duh, there's less riser than the ss34 and I liked the let off/hold at back wall slightly more, though the draw cycle did feel a bit more difficult to me. I also joined the "marhews grip sucks" bandwagon, didn't like it at all but the bow sure shot nice. I figured I'd spend more time holding than drawing anyway... So talked myself into a new omnia and am now WAY overbowed for my skill level.

Then I realized I had no idea what I want to do accessory wise, so I may drive back up here on the 24th to get that all bought/added on to the bow. The guy that helped me was named Gage, nice guy, not pushy at all, and let me talk myself into the bow I was thinking of getting before walking in (though the experience of shooting 6 or so different bows did help confirm, the problem was they ALL felt nicer than my cruzer g2). Again, not expecting anyone to be surprised by that either lol.

So... Now the great debate of how to kit it out begins. Whisker biscuit and ez- v is my go to/what I've been shooting for ~ 4 years, feels a bit like bolting a roof rack on a Corvette but I'm cool with that. Anyone want to help me convince myself to spend more and switch back to pins or to a dropaway rest? (Thinking dropaway because I do plan to start fletching arrows with helical fletchings, which would rob some extra speed going through the biscuit, no?)

None of this matters for Maryland whitetail, but I plan for this to be my "forever bow" and already scheming a SE Alaska goat bow hunt with my brother for next year, so might as well set it up for that now and get to practicing.

Congrats on the new bow! I’d stick with what you’re comfortable with and used to…. Ez v and the wb. No need to change if it works, imo. You’re not losing any speed with the wb. Maybe 2-3fps, but that’s nothing. But people usually hate on the wb, so expect a bias on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations!! I'm super jealous!! I agree, use what's comfortable. I'll admit to spending quite a bit of loot on a new setup. I borderline regret it. Sure, some stuff would be extra hard to give up, but my other setup/backup is just as good for what I'm doing. I probably shoot it better more consistently too :flushed:

Anyway, still super jealous! Enjoy the new rig!

Congrats on the new bow! I'll never forget the look on the bow tech's face when I bought my first Elite and was getting it accessorized. When he asked me what rest I wanted and I replied a Whisker Biscuit he look down his nose at me like I was ordering ketchup for my soufflé at a high end restaurant. :tearsofjoy: That's okay with me though, I'm hunting with it, not trying to impress anyone. WB and EZ-V are what both of my Elites are sporting.

Happy birthday to me! I finally drove up to Lancaster (holy moly, somewhat intimidating the amount of variety and hands on support/experts etc they have there compared to what I'm used to locally) and shot a few bows, and (guessing not much surprise here) the elite omnia, bowtech ss34 and a Mathews bow were top 3 for me. I ended up buying the omnia (no photos yet but it's a standard bare bow omnia in green riser, I'm meeting my parents at a local bar to pick up their dog and dogsit for a few weeks so photos later when I'm home or after I get it accesorized). Main deciding factor was that it felt a bit lighter (well duh, there's less riser than the ss34 and I liked the let off/hold at back wall slightly more, though the draw cycle did feel a bit more difficult to me. I also joined the "marhews grip sucks" bandwagon, didn't like it at all but the bow sure shot nice. I figured I'd spend more time holding than drawing anyway... So talked myself into a new omnia and am now WAY overbowed for my skill level.

Then I realized I had no idea what I want to do accessory wise, so I may drive back up here on the 24th to get that all bought/added on to the bow. The guy that helped me was named Gage, nice guy, not pushy at all, and let me talk myself into the bow I was thinking of getting before walking in (though the experience of shooting 6 or so different bows did help confirm, the problem was they ALL felt nicer than my cruzer g2). Again, not expecting anyone to be surprised by that either lol.

So... Now the great debate of how to kit it out begins. Whisker biscuit and ez- v is my go to/what I've been shooting for ~ 4 years, feels a bit like bolting a roof rack on a Corvette but I'm cool with that. Anyone want to help me convince myself to spend more and switch back to pins or to a dropaway rest? (Thinking dropaway because I do plan to start fletching arrows with helical fletchings, which would rob some extra speed going through the biscuit, no?)

None of this matters for Maryland whitetail, but I plan for this to be my "forever bow" and already scheming a SE Alaska goat bow hunt with my brother for next year, so might as well set it up for that now and get to practicing.
God bless you sir!

Good for you man, sounds like you got exactly what you wanted! You earned something nice for yourself right now, enjoy!

Congrats! Do what you want but I say outfit that bad boy with a Hamskea Epsilon all the way or Vaportrail Gen 12 (I’m not sure what it’s up to now) or AAE Prophesy… any high quality Limbdriven rest. I tried the EZV but I’ve been shooting a pin sight so long I can’t go to that system. Many like it though. I sold
Mine to a buddy and he still wonders why I did. Something from Spott Hogg like the triple stack on the Fast Eddy or The HHA Tetra Max or the Tetra RYZ Max if you’re wanting to also get into 3d or something. Kind of build a dual purpose hunting/3d rig.

Elite makes awesome hunting bows.
Bee Stinger makes a counter slide stabilizer that matches that green riser that has worked very well on my Enkore. I've got more weight in the rear than front and you can fine tune the left right by adjusting it higher or lower to find perfect balance for how you shoot.
Regardless on what direction you go, Congrats on the new rig.IMG_2195.jpg

I can't believe your hunting with a compound. I thought you purchased a trad bow? :rolleyes:
J.k. sounds sweet. A little jealous. If you can shoot the EZV and biscuit and kill deer. Rock it. Why over complicate things.
I did. But not planning to hunt with it this season, need more practice. Jumping from one compound to another won't be as much of a learning curve. But trad remains in my future as well. And I can't make up my mind, I bought a HC mini last year but haven't hunted with it either yet. That one may be on the chopping block but I also keep telling myself it'll be good for the kids to get their first deer with. Who knows, in reality it wasn't a need, just more toys.

What I really should have done was bring the old bow along and swap the accessories over... But instead I just took the release out of the case. Perhaps I'll set it up myself and find somewhere more local to put in a peep, perhaps I'll return next weekend. I do have a nose button around here somewhere too that I bought a while ago but not sure I want to join the peepless ranks.

I'm silly sometimes. I didn't realize you could install a peep without a press, so I'll likely just install the accessories myself now that I know that

I'm silly sometimes. I didn't realize you could install a peep without a press, so I'll likely just install the accessories myself now that I know that
You do need a press to install a peep. You don’t need one to serve it in though.

Do yourself a favor and progress w/o the peep. You'll be pleasantly surprised how much better your shooting will be in the early and late faint light. @MattMan81 has it just right.

Hm well alrighty then. I suppose it's easy enough to try it out with a button and the V. Just need to dig out the button and come to terms again with how I gave the bowmars some money a few years ago

Re: no press peep installations, there's a few videos out there of people doing just this, tie in a peep without pressing the bow, but using this string splitter product https://www.octobermountainproducts...CykfVOTdh2Ur-7oy-tVWxlEiw0BehY_RoC-TcQAvD_BwE . I have a bit of serving on the new bow dividing the strings so feel like I could likely divide them without splitting strands, but is this bad advice? Or just uncommon? I am confident that I could tie/serve it, that part is easy, but don't want to damage the string or the bow with a dumb DIY just because I don't know of any archery shops close by. I can understand why people start buying/building their own presses now lol

My dude....just shoot it with the string. How many thousands of times have u anchored before? I bet u can do it blindfolded in the dark. I was real surprised when I tried. I just have d loop on my string...not saying that cool/awesome or I have some higher than average skill in archery....saying I fully planned on adding all that stuff to my string but just shot it a little beforehand outta curiosity and just been shooting the string since

Last edited:
Hm well alrighty then. I suppose it's easy enough to try it out with a button and the V. Just need to dig out the button and come to terms again with how I gave the bowmars some money a few years ago

Re: no press peep installations, there's a few videos out there of people doing just this, tie in a peep without pressing the bow, but using this string splitter product https://www.octobermountainproducts...CykfVOTdh2Ur-7oy-tVWxlEiw0BehY_RoC-TcQAvD_BwE . I have a bit of serving on the new bow dividing the strings so feel like I could likely divide them without splitting strands, but is this bad advice? Or just uncommon? I am confident that I could tie/serve it, that part is easy, but don't want to damage the string or the bow with a dumb DIY just because I don't know of any archery shops close by. I can understand why people start buying/building their own presses now lol

Get yourself a bowmaster for like $30 to install the peep and make most tuning, that all you'll need with how adjustable the bow you have is. Congrats man! You sure you don't want to really impress the deer by getting a $5000 bow? They will be dishonored in death if you didn't spend that money I was told.

And in regards to WB reducing speed. In the word of John Travolta when asked about the car he drove:

"What about the speed?"

"If you're important, people will wait."

Back