• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Strings silencer material?

bigcat93

SH Member
What’s the best, most durable options you guys use?

Used raw sheep wool for a pretty good while. Worked well and the lanolin in the wool helped them shed water well. Now I just cat whiskers because they are fast, easy and work well.

May try the amsteel on the next string though.

I like amsteel and 100% raw wool for the lightness and water resistance it provides and if properly made and located it’s real quiet and I like small rubber whiskas made into a small ball as well but remember one thing it can sap some speed out of your setup and make you sometimes not able to use current arrow
If I’m shootings 400 spine shafts with let’s say 200 grain tips and use amsteel or wool out of a bow. I might have to go up 50 xtra grains of point weight to balance it all out. I bareshaft every string silencer combo I use. The rubber whiskas takes alot of noise out and like I said speed and they are effective! But like all trad archers I like options
I’m able to shoot the same shaft out of 5 bows with weights ranging from 50 to 63# with one type of silencers and if I switch one string to whiskas then I have to shoot with extra point weight or go down to a 500 spine with appropriate point weight
This is from my findings over the years from tuning now your mileage might vary:)

The dynapuffs that Mountain Muffler sells are very durable and don't hold water. I think he's just using lengths of dyneema rope, but I've not tried to replicate them myself.

Navajo wool string silencers. I’ve got sets that have lasted 3 years so far, shot a lot, no appreciable wear. And they are pretty dang water resistant, have had them in the rain and they don’t lose their volume. Very easy to install, just clamp your string above and below where you want to put it, untwist and slide in, retwist. I haven’t had one move yet, and they’ve easily been removed to put on a new string.

Last edited:
I make my own puff balls with wool yarn. Made two jigs from plastic clothes hangers, one for a large and one for a medium. The jig for the medium I just heated the plastic and made the gap smaller.

Attachments

• 338555F1-5234-4983-AF61-2B56A86173CA.jpeg
    338555F1-5234-4983-AF61-2B56A86173CA.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 22
I make my own puff balls with wool yarn. Made two jigs from plastic clothes hangers, one for a large and one for a medium. The jig for the medium I just heated the plastic and made the gap smaller.
Awesome! Can you show us an action shot so we are sure to understand how it works?

Awesome! Can you show us an action shot so we are sure to understand how it works?
I wrap the yarn around the hook and longest leg 30 times then tie with a small piece of yarn in the center. Then slide the silencer off the jig. Place the silencer in between the bow string while bow is unstrung, restring the bow. I use scissors to then cut all the loops. After a few shots they will puff out. I have never had to serve them in always seem to stay in place even when I unbrace my bow.

Attachments

• AA43D0B4-2EDA-4099-AC73-AA06B0CF64AB.jpeg
    AA43D0B4-2EDA-4099-AC73-AA06B0CF64AB.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 28
  • B7E04E8B-4229-4C8E-ACED-C00113E84FF5.jpeg
    B7E04E8B-4229-4C8E-ACED-C00113E84FF5.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 27
Another sucker for Amsteel. One 1.5" piece of 1/4" Amsteel will make 2 puffs. Separate the 12 strands into 2 bundles and use 6 for one puff and a half dozen for the other. Unfurl the individual strands with a pen or pencil tip once the bow is restrung and let 30 shots do the rest.

Wool yarn here. Build them in less than 2 minutes and shoot them in. They have never let me down. Are they the best?……I don’t know, but I have the material on hand and they are easy to build.
048352b91074a52cce7a07c5311ebdce.jpg

I wrap the yarn around the hook and longest leg 30 times then tie with a small piece of yarn in the center. Then slide the silencer off the jig. Place the silencer in between the bow string while bow is unstrung, restring the bow. I use scissors to then cut all the loops. After a few shots they will puff out. I have never had to serve them in always seem to stay in place even when I unbrace my bow.

This looks great, anyone have a source for untreated wool yarn with the Lanolin intact?

Back