• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Webbing aider as climbing method?

Jdelach22

More and more looking at climbing sticks for this year the more I'm not feeling any of them. I was wondering if any had the good the bad and ugly about using webbing strap aiders as a climbing method.
Thanks

I do it quite often. Just like all this stuff the more you do it the easier it gets. I know a lot of guys hate it but if you rappel down it’s really not bad.

Good: Light. Very much so, arguably as light as possibly spare free climbing.

Bad: takes a lot of practice to get anywhere near low-hassle and quiet. I put in probably 20 times trying it and just didn't feel I wanted to keep doing it.

Ugly: the first time you attempt it

I hunt deeper than 99.99% of whitetail hunters and it's just not worth it to me. If I had a stand 5 miles deep out West I may do it.

I have a 4 step aider and that’s my only climbing method. I have a video of me doing it in the swaider/knaider thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 4 step aider and that’s my only climbing method. I have a video of me doing it in the swaider/knaider thread
I bought one of the Metolius 8-step ladder aiders to try out. It might be a little easier than using my 5-step aider. Nice video Nonxninja!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put aiders on my helium climbing stick using 1" tubular webbing. I slide a piece of static climbing rope into the webbing to keep it open for my foot. Check out DIY Sportsman on YouTube that were I got the information.

Send me a pic of how you have it rigged up! :)

I would be embarrassed lol. It’s just one long piece of 1” webbing with overhand knots that are offset so that a loop hangs.

I am working on a new set up that I will post pictures of.

Send me a pic of how you have it rigged up! :)

This is the new system I am experimenting with and really liking. I will make an amsteel etrier to replace the webbing when I have time.

16effa926d0fd797763a5881014641e1.jpg

Last edited:
This is the new system I am experimenting with and really liking. I will make an amsteel etrier to replace the webbing when I have time.

16effa926d0fd797763a5881014641e1.jpg
Why are u using a caribiner, when u can just slide it thru the loop? I know it's easier to buckle it but alleviation of not having it would be beneficial imo

Why are u using a caribiner, when u can just slide it thru the loop? I know it's easier to buckle it but alleviation of not having it would be beneficial imo

Crossing limbs man! Pulling all that through every time wouldn’t be fun.

Interesting! I've tried this but didn't think anyone was using it as their only climbing method(it wasn't pretty I'll tell you that! I have a 5 step BD aider), gotta check out ur video @noxninja

I tried the 2 step aider that diy sportsman shows on you tube including the paracord wrapping over them. I found once I did that they stayed open enough most of the time but not far enough from the tree. So there was always a lot of fiddle farting around for me. I think I'm almost there with them and like the extra height. I have 4 sticks but will probably try the nylon loop aider idea again this year through out.

I ended up going with the Hawks like everyone else (got 4 tho) making a diy versa button and using the hawk straps to make a 2 step aider. Not real enthusiastic about it being I'm cutting and modifing brand new sticks but is what is

I didn’t get an opportunity to use it because I was using my spurs all last season. I still have it and really should put some time into it.

Back