• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

aerohunter bridge length and tree tether.

dustinsitzes

Hey there,

I received my aerohunter kite about a week ago. It really seems very comfortable, easy to use, and well made. The only issues I’m having with it is that the bridge seems too long and I ordered the longer tree tether in order to be able to wrap the rope 2x around tree and It seems nearly impossible to do so.

1: What method/s have you guys used to shorten bridge other than re tying the knot?

2: Is it just me or is it really hard to wrap the tree tether around the tree twice? I’ve only been going around the tree once and doing ok, I just thought going around twice would keep tether from slipping. It seems to be doing the opposite of that.

Thanks!

I would just retie the knot. I suppose you could add a prusik loops and carabiner. I only go around the tree once with my tether. Going around twice usually is a pain. I don’t have slippage problems.

The stock bridge on the Kestrel is shipped very long (better too long than too short) and most will want to shorten it consdierably. Best suggestion is if you're right handed, make the adjustments on the right side loop. This leaves the loose end on your right hip away from your bow and behind your body from any potential target. You may need to do this several times to find a bridge length that suits you. Another option, for use at ground level only, would be to tie a temporary knot to a carabiner to easily adjust and try different bridge lengths. Once you find a comfortable length, retie the permanent knot at that length.

Last edited:
I have a Kite and I untied the right side bridge knot and added a prussic so that the bridge is now adjustable. I found throughout the season that different bridge lengths were called for in different situations. Climbing method experimentation, platform varieties, and tether height variation all made for varying ideal bridge lengths.

I suppose that if I settled on one system for all of the above I could/would also settle on one bridge length, but that hasn't happened yet and I don't see it happening soon. Too many cool things to try out which is the blessing and the curse of saddle hunting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The other benefit of an adjustable bridge is that you can lengthen it enough to throw over your shoulders when walking in/out. Works like suspenders to help hold saddle up and is never in my way when walking or climbing.

I have the Kestrel and I just retied the knot to shorten the bridge. I did it a couple times after testing at ground level to get the right length and have been happy with it since.

I'm one of the few people that wraps their tether around the tree twice. I found it a little difficult at first, but after a few tries I had a better sense of where I needed to position the tether and where to grip the tether relative to the loop on the average size trees I hunt. I found that getting the tether really snug and making sure the end of the loop was well centered directly above me before sitting in the saddle helped a lot.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I would just retie the knot. I suppose you could add a prusik loops and carabiner. I only go around the tree once with my tether. Going around twice usually is a pain. I don’t have slippage problems.

The other benefit of an adjustable bridge is that you can lengthen it enough to throw over your shoulders when walking in/out. Works like suspenders to help hold saddle up and is never in my way when walking or climbing.

I like that idea. That was one thing I was considering, if I permanently shortened the bridge I was worried it wouldn't go over my shoulders.

I like that idea. That was one thing I was considering, if I permanently shortened the bridge I was worried it wouldn't go over my shoulders.

Why do you want your bridge to go over your shoulders?

I will walk in with my bridge and tether daisy chained off to the side and will throw my linesman up over my shoulder so my saddle doesn’t fall down while I am walking. Most of the time that is daisy chained also though...

I will walk in with my bridge and tether daisy chained off to the side and will throw my linesman up over my shoulder so my saddle doesn’t fall down while I am walking. Most of the time that is daisy chained also though...
For me it was a secondary benefit to having a choice of bridge lengths while learning to use a saddle. I've never tried it daisy chained to the side but since I like it adjustable it is just fast and easy to extend and throw up and over. No fuss no muss.

It is currently a fixed bridge, can’t really daisy chain it. It just gets it out of the way for me and is comfortable, plus it helps keep the saddle up on your hips if you are carrying some weight on molle loops

I started out dual wrapping the tree tether. After a few months, I realized that it isn't necessary so I cut the tree tether a few feet to save weight and bulk. I have not experienced slippage with a single wrap.

I changed the bridge to a 1/4" amsteel whoopie sling. It is lighter, stronger, less bulky, and more adjustable than the predator rope bridge. The only negative I found to the amsteel bridge is the two small prusiks used to hold the back rest slide when I lean back. But I'm working on that!

I use an adjustable bridge incorporating a Petzl adjust and I really like being able to fine tune my setup. I use Teufelberger Reep Schnur 10mm for my bridge as well as my tree tether. Strong and light as well as versatile.

I bought a ropeman for my tether and then used the prusik rope from the tether to make a prusik on my bridge. I feel it works great because even a minor adjustment makes a huge difference. No 2 trees are the same. Will I be sitting mostly or leaning? Every situation is different running and gunning sitting new places every hunt.

I'm surprised with the longer tether that you cant wrap the tree twice. Must be huge trees?

Back