• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Timberdonkey_059

Vendor Rep
Hi all,

I am in the very early stages but working on building a new one-stick to hopefully take into production before next season. Obviously there are some excellent options out there but what features and specs would you like to see in a one-stick that isn't currently offered?

Open to any and all suggestions!

Thank you,
Timberdonkey

For me, it's just a climbing device as I use a LW .5, so I don't need and certainly don't want the larger platform options. I guess it seems most of the current options on the market purpose-built for one-sticking seem to assume the person wants to hunt off it also, so with an already crowded market maybe that is a pursuable niche?

Then the only real distinction I see from a multi-stick setup is stacking becomes of no/minimal importance. And you need a fiddle-free attachment system.

Beyond that just make it as light, compact, and bombproof as possible. Folding steps are still of interest of me in a one-stick because I like compact, but less so than in a multi-stick setup.

Obviously it needs aiders also but many aftermarket and DIY options out there.

Right now I've been going back and forth between the Tethrd One stick and a modified Helium. I like both. The One is super amazingly light but the 4-point cleat isn't as good as the cam cleat I have on my Helium. And I have durability concerns based on their recent history. The Hawk is fine too but nearly twice as heavy.

Has anyone ever messed with idea of standoffs that collapse down or fold in for a slimmer profile when carrying it, but lock into place?

For me, it's just a climbing device as I use a LW .5, so I don't need and certainly don't want the larger platform options. I guess it seems most of the current options on the market purpose-built for one-sticking seem to assume the person wants to hunt off it also, so with an already crowded market maybe that is a pursuable niche?

Then the only real distinction I see from a multi-stick setup is stacking becomes of no/minimal importance. And you need a fiddle-free attachment system.

Beyond that just make it as light, compact, and bombproof as possible. Folding steps are still of interest of me in a one-stick because I like compact, but less so than in a multi-stick setup.

Right now I've been going back and forth between the Tethrd One stick and a modified Helium. I like both. The One is super amazingly light but the 4-point cleat isn't as good as the cam cleat I have on my Helium. And I have durability concerns based on their recent history. The Hawk is fine too but nearly twice as heavy.
This is good. I too don’t want to hunt off the top of the stick.

Has anyone ever messed with idea of standoffs that collapse down or fold in for a slimmer profile when carrying it, but lock into place?

I know OOAL was messing around with some type of folding standoffs at one point, not sure if they ever came to market or not. I never handled them personally but IIRC the common feedback was that it was pretty fiddly. I followed this stuff a lot closer a few years ago, anymore the market is mostly carbon copies and retreads.

Reactions: CP3
I would like a stick with the bracket compatible with ROS straps or built in ROS slot/nesting? Right now I'm in the camp of running steps with a platform, but usually you have to run a separate straps for the steps because the angle and standoffish of the one stick straps make the steps too loose. If that make any sense? I think the Pursuit platform execute this solution really well. So maybe have built in steps that you just deploy/detach form the side of the stick.

Real Deal Amsteel Lookout bottom step with aider.

You can buy the component, or build a complete one stick the way you like, all on his website.

A3A168B7-E1D9-4BAA-97F3-868A31A6F05B.png

I have the trophyline wingman and I like platform size and angle.. the standoffs a little further from tree would be a plus. The weight for me isnt that big of a deal but its tough to get it on my saddle for walking in.

If you're not using the stick as a platform at height, in my opinion the stick doesn't matter too much. Cam cleat is helpful but I have also one sticked with a beast sticks (button and daisy chain). It was not as easy as the cam cleat, but possibly quieter. The practice comes in with the rope management.

That said I'm an eastern woods outdoors fan, I use their one stick although I picked it up on here used and it's been great so far. I've been using it as my hunting height platform as well though.

I'd make the stick as light and least amount of moving parts as possible. We don't really have a purpose built budget one stick at the moment

Last edited:
I would like a stick with the bracket compatible with ROS straps or built in ROS slot/nesting? Right now I'm in the camp of running steps with a platform, but usually you have to run a separate straps for the steps because the angle and standoffish of the one stick straps make the steps too loose. If that make any sense? I think the Pursuit platform execute this solution really well. So maybe have built in steps that you just deploy/detach form the side of the stick.
Your steps may be lower than your platform then (if we are talking one stick with top platform) I like the step height and platform height to be the same so usually have my ocb about 2-3 inches above my platform. May not matter but I like a flat height so I don't have to look and feel for the step with my foot. When I run it with my method I actually out the ROS on first, as the space between the method and the tree is large enough for the ocb buckle behind it, guaranteeing I can't accidentally kick it upen with my boot (not that I ever have). Still figuring all out myself though.

Hi all,

I am in the very early stages but working on building a new one-stick to hopefully take into production before next season. Obviously there are some excellent options out there but what features and specs would you like to see in a one-stick that isn't currently offered?

Thank you,
Timberdonkey

1. Bycicle style quick release for the platform and the step.
The angle could be easily adjusted.
I don't know if it would work. (it would be sweet)

I have a Big BOB on order and am looking forward to using it.

2. having a peg to wrap the cord around would be helpful.
The methods folks are using to put the cord away are not easy.

3. I am looking for a platform replacement for SRT (the BOB might work)

4. Make your design forward compatible with updates.
It is rough buying version 1.0 only to long for the 2.0 version.

Good luck with your one stick.
PS: have some folks test the prototype and give feedback
prior to the production run. I'd be happy to give an opinion.

EWO ultralight w packability options or a one piece stand off & step like One stick/ Tie fighter/ Beast Exotic$ step.
sub $200 and American made.
edit:
I don’t know if I want anymore 1 stick options , we’ve passed the plateau.
I’ll take a safe , lightweight , efficient , fair priced, innovative method to get in a tree

Last edited:
A modular system that'll work with multiple platform options, step options, step spacing options, standoff options and attachment options so you can customize to your liking without drilling.

Hi all,

Thank you,
Timberdonkey

I’m probably in the minority but I use my platform on the bottom of the stick with a double step on top. I like the options for foot placement it gives me.

I used the scout on bottom for 2 seasons and it was great but I wanted to try something with a little more foot room.

Most of the bigger stick platforms are made to attach to the top of the stick. I ended up getting a wingman but had to cut a notch in it to fit around the tube on the bottom. I think I saw an early version of the UP that had a square hole for the stick but the current pic on EWO doesn’t have one.

So a larger (UP, Wingman, ridge runner style shown above) one stick platform that can switch from top to bottom would be nice for my application.

It would also need to have standoffs as good as EWOs. Those things grip like a cammed over platform and give plenty of standoff from the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the new ridge runner platform has, I want this on a stick bad.
View attachment 74058
That folding standoff needs to be at the bottom of the stick. Make the stick 20-22" with the platform mounted high enough above the bottom step for boot clearance. One stick climb to height, fold the bottom standoff and deploy the platform.

That folding standoff needs to be at the bottom of the stick. Make the stick 20-22" with the platform mounted high enough above the bottom step for boot clearance. One stick climb to height, fold the bottom standoff and deploy the platform.
Make the platform fold up and lock in the up position so that you can use the front edge of the platform as a step. You could do it by adding wings on the stand-off that go over the platform and lock it in

Like this?

Back