• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Slingpredator06

A buddy of mine took a fall this morning. As he was climbing up to his hang on stand a folding step on a very popular climbing stick failed causing it to rotate straight down. (Item is not under recall) This caused him to lose his balance falling to the right while hanging on to the top steps which then caused lower kick out on the climbing stick, subsequently throwing him off. Luckily he said it was only about a 10ft fall and he is ok minus some bumps and bruises. Thankfully he wasn't higher. Regardless, I wanted to share this for situational awareness on the importance of constantly checking your equipment and to ALWAYS use some form of tether system no matter your climbing style or what you hunt from. Your life depends on it.

Glad to hear he is OK hopefully now he will be attached to a life support of some type from now on. I always tell people that we mostly as men and hunters a lot of times think we are invincible and can get away with doing these things without any consequences. The majority of time we are right until that one time bottom line is if you're not going to do it for yourself do it for your family as they depend on you being there what is a few more minutes of your time to gain the rest of your life time. Or to not be paralyzed and spend the rest of your life thinking if I would've took five more minutes to be safe I would still be climbing and swinging around in a saddle.

Glad to hear he is OK hopefully now he will be attached to a life support of some type from now on. I always tell people that we mostly as men and hunters a lot of times think we are invincible and can get away with doing these things without any consequences. The majority of time we are right until that one time bottom line is if you're not going to do it for yourself do it for your family as they depend on you being there what is a few more minutes of your time to gain the rest of your life time. Or to not be paralyzed and spend the rest of your life thinking if I would've took five more minutes to be safe I would still be climbing and swinging around in a saddle.

I agree. When I was younger I was guilty of it too. Didn't have no time for a linemans belt. As I got older I started thinking, what if I fell and even survived but still broke a leg or my back while hunting alone 2 miles back. What then. Just not worth the risk. Too easy to tether in.

XOP? If so did he have the “upgrade” bolts installed?

Wasn't XOP but I don't wanna disclose what brand it was because I don't want to start an argument on here. I think no matter what brand you have something can fail and all you can do is periodically give your equipment a once over to possibly catch something in advance.

I am glad he is ok. Was he climbing with any kind of safety harness, linesman belt, or tether? Not trying to nitpick, just wondering if there was a failure beyond the stick?

I for one would like to know the brand not to bash on them or talk any smack about them, but would like to see exactly how the stick failed in case it's something that I own. If there is a problem with a product out there, especially something of this nature that could severely hurt somebody, I'd like to know what to be keeping my eye out for. That being said I respect you wish not to say something, but if you change your mind please post here(with pictures if possible). I'm glad your friend is okay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I honestly don't think you will start an argument on this site. Most on here are pretty understanding. But it will allow people with that particular stick keep an eye on that part.

Agreed, knowing would be good. I don't think it would start a debate. There is NO PRODUCT out there that is 100% reliable forever. With time and after a bunch of use, ever climbing method out there is likely subject to some sort of failure if the proper checks and maintenance aren't done, not saying that your buddy failed to do so by any means. Any life supporting equipment should be checked often, one thing I know I fail to do as much as I should.

Valid points. I can't stand seeing people get hurt over things that could've been avoided. So if it'll help here it is. It was a hawk helium. Bottom right step. I'll get ahold of him about getting a pic. I guess it shook him up a little because he was telling me he's wearing a lineman's belt from now on and he's done with folding steps. I'm not blasting hawk. I own some heliums myself and enjoy their products. This thread was started as a friendly reminder to check and recheck your equipment. Saddle hunting by nature is dangerous. It doesn't need any help in that department. But yes anything no matter the brand can and will fail eventually. I'm still wondering how it happened though. He's only had them a year or so and he's not a big guy at all at 5'8" and about 185 lbs. At least he got a little wake up call instead of a hard lesson learned. Could've been a lot worse

Thanks for posting that. I have heliums but, wouldn't have guessed it was them. I would love to see the pic. I would have your buddy send the pic to Hawk, it wont hurt for them to know also.

Back