• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Super light experimental DIY LWCG stick

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
So I got bored and went out to the garage and decided to build another stick. I plan on buying the LWCG platform and thought it would be cool to build a stick that may be able to lock on to the platform and fold the way their new sticks do. I am and always have been a fan of double steps on sticks but I had these hawk steps laying around and in the end decided to build a lone wolf style stick to experiment with. The experimental part of this is that the tube is 3/4 instead of 1 inch. The name of this game was lightweight. Tomorrow I'll mount it to a tree and abuse it a little bit to see how it holds up. Seems strong. Here's the specs:

22" long
9" between steps
1lb, 5.1 oz without amsteel
Hawk helium steps
6061 .75", 1/16th tubing

I like the other stick I built better already because of the double steps I created but this one will be cool to experiment with.

Attachments

• 2019-01-12_18.39.25.jpg
    2019-01-12_18.39.25.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 568
  • 2019-01-12_18.40.06.jpg
    2019-01-12_18.40.06.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 589
  • 2019-01-12_18.38.44.jpg
    2019-01-12_18.38.44.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 544
Why not just run two steps if only 22” be even lighter?
My train of thought is that 22" is perfect for a double step but may get a little hairy with a single step. I figured that's why the lone wolf minis are only 17". So This ones a little longer. Im not sure though. Ive never owned a single step stick before. I just started building man lol. Tomorrow Ill definitely know where I stand with it. If I can shed the middle step and save 2.5 ounces that's cool. It was kind of a just for fun and maybe use it type build. And I know some people are wondering if 3/4 tubing has the strength to hold up as a stick so I thought Id find out. Not sure if this will actually get used or not yet at this point because I really like my other stick that I built a couple weeks ago. But well see.

It will bend. I have some I built they bend and flex. The bolt will break though the stick with to much pressure also. On the single steps. Mine were double steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I got bored and went out to the garage and decided to build another stick. I plan on buying the LWCG platform and thought it would be cool to build a stick that may be able to lock on to the platform and fold the way their new sticks do. I am and always have been a fan of double steps on sticks but I had these hawk steps laying around and in the end decided to build a lone wolf style stick to experiment with. The experimental part of this is that the tube is 3/4 instead of 1 inch. The name of this game was lightweight. Tomorrow I'll mount it to a tree and abuse it a little bit to see how it holds up. Seems strong. Here's the specs:

22" long
9" between steps
Hawk helium steps
6061 .75", 1/16th tubing

I like the other stick I built better already because of the double steps I created but this one will be cool to experiment with.

This is awesome! I prefer the single for packability so this is exactly what I was looking to do when I started the other thread.... do you have pics of the back how did you get the bolt for the step to rest on to not interfere with the standoff pivoting.... I want to try this out!!!!

22" long
9" between steps
Hawk helium steps
6061 .75", 1/16th tubing

This is awesome! I prefer the single for packability so this is exactly what I was looking to do when I started the other thread.... do you have pics of the back how did you get the bolt for the step to rest on to not interfere with the standoff pivoting.... I want to try this out!!!!

Standby...………...

I used a 1/4 x 1 1/2 inch grade 8 should bolt, screwed a nut on to make space and tightened it all down with a lock nut.

Attachments

• 2019-01-12_19.38.34.jpg
    2019-01-12_19.38.34.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 169
It will bend. I have some I built they bend and flex. The bolt will break though the stick with to much pressure also. On the single steps. Mine were double steps.

If it bends Ill just rebuild it with 1/8". I have a lot of tubing laying around from other projects. Just wanted to push the limits to see what I could get away with. Im not a weight obsessed hunter. More about packability. So well see what happens.

If it bends Ill just rebuild it with 1/8". I have a lot of tubing laying around from other projects. Just wanted to push the limits to see what I could get away with. Im not a weight obsessed hunter. More about packability. So well see what happens.

That’s what I have done. There still light.

I used a 1/4 x 1 1/2 inch grade 8 should bolt, screwed a nut on to make space and tightened it all down with a lock nut.

I like it..... I’ll only need two steps on that spacing so I can get by lighter....my sticks now are 24” with two steps.

I like it..... I’ll only need two steps on that spacing so I can get by lighter....my sticks now are 24” with two steps.

Good to know. I may be taking that middle step out tomorrow then after I test it. Thatll save another 2.5 ounces.

Hes probably running 1 inch. I haven't seen .75 in 1/8

977994a5dd0552ff539f0714df44d036.jpg

Back